German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got our new puppy!! She is 5 wks old! I know that's young. But the mom stopped feeding.. She is eating wet food. And I'm going to start mixing dry food in. What else do I need to know lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,268 Posts
Mom usually weans them at this age/and they start eating on their own....why did the 'breeder' let the pup go~ because of this?
In most states, it is illegal to let pups go before 8 weeks of age.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
at 5 weeks thats the age they really dont get much from the mother if anything, they are normally weened at this age, irresponsible BYB sounds like to me, wayyyy to early for him/her to leave its litter and mother

·
Registered
31,947 Posts
Was it a single puppy, or are there littermates. If there are littermates, if at all possible, return your puppy and ask them to keep him for another three weeks.

Yes people get puppies at six weeks but it is so much better for them to have at least seven with their littermates. Selling them at five weeks means the owner was tired of cleaning the whelping box. Clear and simple.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's risky to ever announce something like that on this forum because people get a little crazy as you can see. What's done is done.
It's definitely harder to raise a puppy starting out that young, the rescuer who I got my shepherd from told me she was nine weeks when in actuality she was only 6 or 7 weeks. I just found that out recently when we thought she was hitting her four month mark and the vet told us she was showing no signs of the four month mark. She was extremely clingy and nippy and needy but now I know why. You're definitely gonna have to give some extra attention and care to ease the separation anxiety and baby needs. As far as food goes, all of the breeders I've encountered would mix their food with warm water to eat once they weaned.
Good luck! Post pictures!

·
Registered
61 Posts
theres nothing wrong with getting a puppy
a that age as far as feeding wise..however puppies from 6-8 weeks should be with littermates learning how to SOCIALIZE!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Yes, in TX (am I'm sure some other states) a lot of not so reputable 'breeders' start chucking their puppies at 6 weeks. However, the responsible breeders still keep them until 8 weeks. I think they're just clueless as to the benefits of being with the litter after mom has weaned them. Ignorance.

One thing you need to know is that you will have to teach bite inhibition as the puppy has no littermates to tell her when she is too rough or bites too hard. Also, don't expect her to housebreak early as she is way too young to hold it for any length of time.

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
assuming the 'breeder' started the pup on gruel, by 5 weeks I usually have them on solid food - I feed babies that age raw ground meat with either cottage cheese or some plain yogurt, goats milk, and a supplement called PUPPY GOLD - I highly suggest you get this for a pup that young who may or may not have had a good nutritional start! I slowly add some good kibble (Fromm, Earthborne, Orijin) which has been soaked in goats milk to the raw...then cut back on the milk to water by 6-7 weeks, and transition to dry food mixed in, and meals of dry by 8 weeks....but I really really recommend the Puppy Gold for this pup to be sure he gets everything he needs nutritionally.

Lee

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx yall. Yea it's not actually a breeder. So he may not have known any difference. The litter mates are gone already, but I do have my shih tzu although he isn't her mate he is really good with her and she is sleeping in my bed with me. We are feeding grain free blue buffalo. Thx for the water suggestion I forgot about that. Will have to start doing. I understand the potty training an will fully cooperate with her, I know it will take longer but I will be patient. She is such a sweet little girl and glad I got her. ImageUploadedByPG Free1365254891.309257.jpg thx for all y'all's help! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
283 Posts
What a beautiful little sweetheart. From my experience it is real important to socialize early (I waited a bit long), but be sure you pup has her first shots and use the vets advice.

Wishing the best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts