German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting a new puppy in just a few short weeks. We already have 2 cats and I'm wondering what is the best way to introduce the 3 to each other?

The cats have never lived with a dog and the few times we've had dog visitors.. the one has been very curious but stand-off-ish. The other ran straight for under the bed.

I'm really hoping the 3 can live happily ever after! Any pointers?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Be patient, keep an eye on him, tell him NO or give the Ach! sound if he/she chases. Leash the pup, look for him/her giving "eye" and say Leave It before it chases.
<span style="color: #3333FF">motor patterns</span>
You can put the dog or the cats in a crate and let them sniff safely...

and praise praise praise for good behavior.

We have 2 cats, and have fostered several pups to tune them up to cats. It's very doable. Expect good behavior rather than dread misbehavior. Calm leadership goes a long, long way to avoiding issues.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Drewberry,

Congratulations on the puppy!! Tell us more: which kennel and when?

We are in the same boat only we will have 3 kitties when the puppy comes home at Thanksgiving.

There are some great postings on the subject under this and the puppy forums.

We are planning to do the following (based on everyone's great advice):

- introduce only on the leash, then with lots of exposure with the puppy, not the cats are in the crate
- the puppy needs to learn that cats are higher up on the ladder from the puppy
- practice Mine, Sit, Leave It, etc. a lot with the puppy to accomplish puppy completely leaving the cats alone

And yes I believe there can be love and harmony between them with you proper leadership (we would never be brining in a puppy otherwise).

Take a look at the Historian's wonderful pictures to be inspired: http://abbyk9.fotki.com/friends/

Tanya

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Tanya,

We're getting a baby boy in September from Peters' Elite Shepherds in Ohio
It my husband and I's first puppy together. We both had dogs growing up - mine was a shepherd and I've wanted another one ever since. We're naming the puppy Jager... pronounced "Yager"

Thank you both for the advice and encouragement

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Rather than just telling the puppy to "Leave It" when it sees the cat, it would be a whole lot easier for the pup if you taught it what the command meant first before saying it, it'll save you and your pup of the frustration.

How I teach it:

I take a treat (any kind will do) toss it on the floor. The pup should want to go eat the treat. Cover the treat up with your hand. Say "Leave It". Wait until the puppy ignores the treat. Then, say the sommand one more time, and treat with a treat from your other hand. Repeat until you have the desired behavior with the treat. After that, you should be able to apply this to household items/objects, and the cat. Always keep working on it!

Another side note: Socialize the pup with the cats as much as you can! The more friendly and used to each other they are, the less work you will have to do in the future! Also, the dog will in turn ignore the cats, so a win-win situation! Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts