German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after enduring a 30 minute drive to the airport, 2 hour flight and 30 minute drive home, he wasn't too happy, lots of drool, but we were impressed he did not eliminate in his crate! He was hesitant to come out of the travel crate onto our kitchen tiles, we even tried to entice him with some biscuits and cheese. No way was he coming out. In the end I lifted him out and he was a bit happier, cleaned him up with a warm damp cloth, and he was soon sniffing around. 2 minutes later I took him outside where he peed and got loads of positive attention. An hour or so of playing with him, and into the crate for the night.

Woke up 3am, came downstairs (we left the tv on for him) and he was lookining particularly excited to see me. I took him outside where he peed, inside again for more cuddles, outside again to poop (diaheirra or very soft at least hopefully not a result of the cheese), back in the crate and good till this morning.

He follows me around pretty faithfully and loves to be cuddled.

He meets eye contact firmly, which I was glad about.

Took him to work today, he doesn't much like the car, and got all drooly again, hopefully he gets used to it. He has been outside 3 times already and peed, he might be due a poop soon, I'll keep an eye on him. The neighbours all love him and he met 7 new people today already!

All together a very happy wee boy, and my wife and I love him already. We have a long weekend here this weekend, loads of time to get to know each other.

He does not seem to like the tiles for some reason, ok with carpet.

He breathes really fast but doesn't seem distressed I don't think.

The cats were quite curious but very wary. He made a half hearted attempt to chase them, which I gently discouraged.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What's his name?? And we need pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Aww
on the new pup...they're so much fun!! sounds like you had a pretty good first night
, not bad since he's a pup and in an unfamiliar place!!

The fast breathing is pretty normal I think for a young pup, When we got Emma as a young pup, she breathed hard for a while, but now that she's a bit older, she seemed to have calmed it down a lot.

Congrats again!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thunder is his name, son of Tommy, Oakway Ultimate Force (Seems as big as a car I kid you not, though he is inside the recommended height), everyone comments how big Thunder will be because of his paws which are massive.

I have a 3 week old picture of him, but will post newer pictures over the weekend.

http://www.ssit.co.nz/sable.jpg

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Oh he is so CUTE!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Awww! He is adorable! Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
He's gorgeous! Congrats on what sounds like a great first night!

·
Registered
619 Posts
What a handsome boy!!!

I remember Jackson did that fast breathing when we first brought him home....but he's certainly fine now.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
nice looking pup? where did he fly in from? how old is he? wow, you had a good first night. did you take him to the Vet yet? the diarrhea could be a part of settling in or different food but check for worms. keep giving him the car rides and he should get use to it. maybe take him for a few short rides twice a day to get him use to the longer rides. we kept towels and water in the car for our boy to drink and to clean up with in case he made a miss. as far as not liking the tile floor maybe he doesn't like the surface yet. maybe he doesn't feel sure footed on it. keep an eye on the fast breathing. good luck with the new pup. sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I flow him in from Christchurch, which is a two hour flight from Auckland where I am based. I used to live in Christchurch, and the breeder is the president of the South Island GSD Club.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
networkn, can't wait to see the new photos. If you join photobucket (free) and put the photos there, you can post directly here.. (click here for info)

Alot of times it's easier for us to support and help people if we know where they live (generally, we don't need to knock on your door...). So if you can go up to the top of the page where it says 'My Stuff' and then go into 'My Profile' you can add your general location there. That's also where you add the Avatar (the small photo beside every posting) and you can add a signature/quote/whatever that automatically shows up with every posting.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
come on, you can do it.........................photobucket is free, just post your photos so those of us that are lazy (me
) can just see the photos immediately!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll transfer them to photobucket when the pup is out of the hospital.. Had a scary few days and nights, they suspect giardia.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He's out of the hospital, $350 later, but just glad he is ok. Full of Energy and literally jumping around. He still has the runs, but its getting better we think.

·
Registered
229 Posts
There is nothing more fun than those first few days with a puppy! It hasn't been so long (Christmas) for us, so the memories are still fresh. You sound like great parents. Congrats!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts