German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 8 week old puppy yesterday for Christmas named Zeus just trying to make sure I get his confidence built up so we can work on obedience training...any tips?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
At 8 weeks I would work on bonding, exposure, housebreaking, and just having fun with the puppy.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is a total random assortment of advice.

I fed all from my treat pouch at 8 weeks. Dart away, when he follows, praise and treat. I started name recognition and ‘come’ right away. Treat eye contact. Use those feeding times to start rewarding behavior you want, I didn’t want to waste that bonding chance with a bowl. I tried not to do any corrections and only redirects. If I could get him on a toy, I let him win and praised what a big strong boy he was. Mine didn’t really care about toys at this age, only food. Play and bond. Try to make the world center around you and become the absolute best thing in that world. That might mean like acting like a fool around the pup to get them incredibly in to you. Crate train and remember your pup needs naps, mine couldn't self regulate at this age. When he was tired, he became a total hellion. So everyday he was crated for a mid-morning and mid-afternoon nap.

There’s some great you tube videos on engaging with your pup. Try Stonnie Dennis and Larry Krohn. They do a great job explaining and showing how to engage a very young pup.

Good luck!
Oh and we need pics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts