German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we just brought home a 10 week old GSD pup about a week ago. We had been going to see him since he was 3 weeks old. Over the last couple days he has been getting more mischievous which I expected. I suppose he his comfortable now and really getting into stuff. It hasnt become a problem because we stay on it. Any tips for him at 11 weeks? This is my first GSD and i want to bring him up right.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Please post pics of your pup for those of us who have puppy fever, lol!

Under "Forums" The Puppy Place will be your new best friend. Any questions you have on a topic can always be searched for in the search bar otherwise you can start your own thread on a topic or question.

Good luck with your new little landshark to be :D

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Sign up for puppy classes if you haven't already, it's alway good to start off on the right foot

Other then that, lots of toys, exercise. and most of all patience! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well right now exercise is the back yard. The lady we got him from said not to take him to public places like parks and such until after his 15 week shots. Im afraid to even take him down the block on the sidewalk. He has lots of toys though.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Puppy classes at good facilities are a minimal risk, all dogs outside of young puppies have to have proof of vaccinations so the only non vaccinated dogs are the puppies which is a very small number. Also most classes don't start until 13-15 weeks which is when they get final shots anyways it's a very minimal risk.

Socialization is a key factor in their growth and while I personally don't agree with taking especially young puppies to a dog park or Petsmart and letting them roam there, trips outside to friends houses with healthy vaccinated dogs, or out in the world where there is little dog traffic is pretty safe. They need to learn the world isn't a scary place and explore while their little brains are still learning. If I was worried about a place I would simply keep the puppy in my arms and allow them to look and smell the area from there so there was no contact on the ground

I'm not saying the breeder is wrong, but if the pup never leaves your yard until they're 4-5 months they've missed out on a lot in a key part of their development stage. Take them out in a safe way and the risk is worth the reward

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well she wasnt so much a breeder. Just a private owner. Sarge is a pure breed but he is not papered. Apparently the mother had parvo at one time (not while pregnant with the pups) so she said its best to wait till 15 weeks to take him out because of it? I have gave him the puppy combo shot at 9 weeks so there is no record of shots yet. He is very healthy and happy so far. Not saying im not taking him to the vet...just did the last set of shots myself.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Read/research all around these forums. There is a ton of information to be had. Also, some opinions.
Choose what works for you.

Great looking puppy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts