German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN ANSWERED! I tried to search for this but haven’t found answers! Sorry in advance!
I’m still fairly new on this website but I’ve been lurking thru it ever since we got our rescue a year ago. Fast forward to now, we’re picking up our new pup on the 1st and have a couple questions
I wanted to know what’s everyone’s take on letting their new puppy have a little play time with my current dog. My current dog is super good with puppies etc but we also want to avoid him being too “doggy.” My current dog has that issue since she came from a lady who just let all her dogs roam free. So at a young age she grew a stronger bond with dogs. We want to avoid that all together with our new puppy since we have sports/shutz/etc in mind. All trainings, going to the bathroom , etc will be done separately.
I’m not sure how big of a fan everyone here is of Larry krohn but he currently is raising a puppy and has a couple videos now with “Dante” playing with his other 3 dogs.
Any limitations? Stopping every so often? Or any advice anyone can give. I’m open to anything!
My current dog:

My new puppy & his parents.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I had a new pup a year ago with my then 5 year old, both males.
Older dog is great with other pack members, first meeting is on controlled neutral ground (outside!)
Playing for the first few months is supervised and cut off if it gets too rambunctious.
Never let the pup over pester the older dogs as only 4-6 month old pups can do.
Oversee feeding.
I don't know that it mattered but I set hierarchys. My older dogs bowl goes down first (fed 10 feet apart), he gets a milkbone or meaty bone first, gets his paws cleaned off first etc.
Allow a good natured older dog to set limitations as needed.

*My dogs are absolute best buds now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like what WNGD says about introductions and also about feeding. I was always involved in rescue, so a lot of times I was introducing an older puppy or an adult dog into a pack. That newcomer got his food bowl last. Also I’m there to make sure everyone gets to peacefully eat without interference. In my head it’s not all about YOU establishing a pecking order between them but more about YOU calling the shots on how things are run in YOUR household. As your established dog and new pup learn more about each other through observation and guided activity, they will develop their own relationship. Daily walks together are huge, in my opinion, to absorbing a new family member. But in the beginning, constant supervision. Do males and females make a difference? Not in my case. I never really made any changes to my routine regardless of gender. Again, it was less about what their relationship would eventually become, it was how I chose to keep some order in the home in the beginning.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a male, rescue, ACD/beagle mix. He was about 6 when we got my GSD.

He's neutered, she's intact. He's 7 now and she's about 15 months.

I did a lot of crate and rotate in the beginning; they were fed separately. Ever interaction came through me. I didn't let him face-hump though he tried and she was not allowed to harass him. He's reactive, so I was extra careful.

One day, I noticed that as I was calling him over, he was sort of stuck in place. He wanted to obey my command, but was reluctant. I looked down and saw her staring daggers at him. She was about 6 months old. He's terrified of her. So I mitigate this as best as I can. Time together, time with him, time with her. I do not feed them together, that's asking for trouble IMO. Thresholds are also problematic.

It's hard to tell--I could not have predicted this situation. My GSD is stubborn and has a bit of a combative streak. She will sometimes bully him just because she can. He normally doesn't play at all, so when he does a grab a toy, she barks at him (I am working on this). They are not challenging each other and they are not challenging me. I think they understand that they are a pack. They are always happy to see each other and cuddle sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts