German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a sweet 8 week old GSD named Benedict. Got him three days ago and want to do everything right! My boss is letting me take him to work as long as he is quiet Today was the first day and before work and on my lunch we played until he was tired. He mostly just snoozed by my desk, but happily followed me across the campus on errands ( I work at a Church). He is getting great socialization with people and in the Assisted Living where we visited my mom on Saturday. House training is going well. Benny is training me to know when he needs to go out!

He is of course wonderfully playful but bites ankles when he wants to play. What is the best way to break him of that? I tell him No in a gruff voice, shake the scruff of his neck and then give him a chew toy. today he barked at me when i reprimanded him but then licked me.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Instead of NO and scruff shakes try redirecting him to an appropriate toy. Carry some soft fleece type toys that you can play tug with him and praise him for tugging on something appropriate. He will soon learn that to play with YOU he needs to bring you the toy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts