German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my new 8 week old pup Preemo is going to be picked up soon. He has a really nice white chest. I actually was wondering if anyone can provide some insight on his mom? I’m not sure if she’s full German Shepherd (dont have papers unfortunately). Any thoughts? The dad is for sure GSD. Either way, super excited to bring home!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Welcome and cute pup. The mom looks like a GSD to me.

Side note that might answer the full GSD question and maybe someone else can add to my comment, but it looks like the litter has black, black and tan and sable puppies. I’m not sure if that’s genetically possible for a full GSD litter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome and cute pup. The mom looks like a GSD to me.

Side note that might answer the full GSD question and maybe someone else can add to my comment, but it looks like the litter has black, black and tan and sable puppies. I’m not sure if that’s genetically possible for a full GSD litter.
Good to hear! I decided to order a dna kit just to see. I agree with you its a pretty wide variety of color. The dad is definitely a traditional German Shepherd and if the mom looks it then i think we are good to go. So we will see!

·
Registered
466 Posts
She looks GSD to me also. What makes you question that? I did Embark DNA on my rescue Heidi cause I thought
she maybe could have some other breed in her, but Embark said 100% GSd. I also got the extra Health Test so I'd know if she was predisposed to any particular disease or condition. they test for 180 conditions so it's well worth it to know, IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She looks GSD to me also. What makes you question that? I did Embark DNA on my rescue Heidi cause I thought
she maybe could have some other breed in her, but Embark said 100% GSd. I also got the extra Health Test so I'd know if she was predisposed to any particular disease or condition. they test for 180 conditions so it's well worth it to know, IMO.
well the mom just looked a little bit more narrow in the head and ears to me than traditional GSD. But I do also see the GSD in it as well. I happened to order that same test with the health Add on. How long did it take to get the results back?

·
Super Moderator
7,226 Posts
If dad is a “traditional” GSD, I take that to mean a classic Black and Tan saddle back. To produce the colors in this litter, dad would had to have been a patterned sable (they can look pretty close to B&T), otherwise there was more than one sire. A sable puppy has to have at least 1 sable parent.

Mom looks purebred, do you have a photo of dad?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If dad is a “traditional” GSD, I take that to mean a classic Black and Tan saddle back. To produce the colors in this litter, dad would had to have been a patterned sable (they can look pretty close to B&T), otherwise there was more than one sire. A sable puppy has to have at least 1 sable parent.

Mom looks purebred, do you have a photo of dad?
well that’s good to hear. I was thinking the opposite of the mom. Yes I have attached a picture of the dead. He doesn’t look stable to me which is why I was questioning so much

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Dad is sable. That accounts for the sable pup. Rainbow litters are not uncommon but sable needs to have a sable parent.

·
Registered
466 Posts
well the mom just looked a little bit more narrow in the head and ears to me than traditional GSD. But I do also see the GSD in it as well. I happened to order that same test with the health Add on. How long did it take to get the results back?
the mom's head and ears are just more "feminine" since she's female, that's normal. Plus not all GSDs have big blocky heads. There's all shapes and sizes in GSDs and pet quality or back yard bred dogs are not always perfect specimens.

Did you order Embark DNA? If so, they're usually pretty quick to return results, depending on how busy they are.
They also keep you posted through email of when they receive the swab and where they are in testing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the mom's head and ears are just more "feminine" since she's female, that's normal. Plus not all GSDs have big blocky heads. There's all shapes and sizes in GSDs and pet quality or back yard bred dogs are not always perfect specimens.

Did you order Embark DNA? If so, they're usually pretty quick to return results, depending on how busy they are.
They also keep you posted through email of when they receive the swab and where they are in testing.
ahh, makes sense. Yup! Should be here tomorrow and i will test him right away. Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Primo is a great name, and he's a cute little fella. That dad dog is gorgeous, woo hoo, hubba hubba.

Oh and Welcome to the forum. Make sure you take lots of baby pictures cause they grow up way too fast.

And send some to us when Primo gets home, we love baby pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Primo is a great name, and he's a cute little fella. That dad dog is gorgeous, woo hoo, hubba hubba.

Oh and Welcome to the forum. Make sure you take lots of baby pictures cause they grow up way too fast.

And send some to us when Primo gets home, we love baby pictures.
here you go!! Ill be sure to post more

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh my heart! Preemo is SO cute! We are here in San Diego too. We just got our new baby at 20 weeks. Her name is Heidi. If you are looking for fellow GSD pups for socialization let me know. We are finding it really hard with covid right now. I agree with Orphan Heidi, you can't get enough baby pictures. Even video because there's nothing cuter than that puppy bounce when are little. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
What a beautiful pup! I got mine just over three weeks ago, and she's now 19 weeks and growing more every day (or so it seems).

Congratulations. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts