German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as you might tell from my username, my name is John.

My family of 4 (wife, myself, a 5 year old girl, and 9 year old boy) is looking to have a dog join our family. I have always grown up a dog lover/owner. My mother was a Rotty breeder when I was my kids ages, and she had always had dogs. I grew up training our dogs, and even was a training associate for a non-profit "service dog" training facility that trained dogs for Military Veterans. I trained my sisters dog before I joined the military myself, and 4 years later I came home and my sister was telling me that the do was not listening to her and needed to be "trained again". When I went over (with my wife, and it was her first time meeting this dog), the dog still remembered me, and instantly although was excited to see me and jumped up on me when I walked in, within 10-15 minutes he was not only listening to commands, knowing what he should or should not have been doing. This was due to my sister not enforcing the training, but enough about me, lol...

My wife's family had a dog, a beagle mix, that she never really interacted with, and it was never trained. This experience turned her off to dogs in the past, she is only interested in a dog that is trainable and she knows I have those skills.

We looked at Rotties as those were my babysitters and family members when I was growing up, but upon further research both she and the kids have determined they want a GSD. I have joined these forums to help me know more about the breed, interact with other dog lovers and really determine the best pup to join our family.

Thanks,
John P.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Welcome to the forum John! Lots of great info on this forum about finding a good breeder, and consequently the "right" puppy for your family. Also, plenty of tips on surviving that first few months LOL! Good luck in your search!

·
Super Moderator
5,435 Posts
Good on you for doing the research. My biggest gripe is that people spend more time researching the next car that will sit in the driveway than the next dog that will sit on their couch. (or eat the couch). Welcome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts