German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,
I got my girl at 8 weeks and she is wonderful! Very smart, hard headed and playful (typical GSD)! We have a 3 year old male GSD and they are doing a wonderful job adapting to each other, and playing all the time. The problem is, we have a 1 acre yard that they play in. Our 3 year old doesn't need any type of fence and doesn't bother anyone that walks up and down the road unless they come into our yard, then he will bark and go up to them. The baby still stays around one of us or the other dog all the time, but recently she has started to become more bold (expected).

We are going to wait till she is older to even try an electric fence or anything, and if she starts running we will just leash her outside. However the past week she has started barking at some other dogs in the area. There is a large female rottie across the street that is tied up sometimes and one day she got in a defensive stance and barked consistently (not a play bark), so I tried to redirect her or get her attention, but nothing worked. I had to go pick her up and bring her inside.

The next day she did the same thing, but instead tried to run across the street to her (we stopped her of course). Yesterday both dogs were outside and laying in the yard and a woman walked past with a smallish dog. Our male didn't even budge, just watched them walk by, but the puppy all of a sudden jumped up and started barking and ran up to them, (again in a defensive stance). She stopped about 4 feet from the end of the driveway and stood there and barked. I had to again go pick her up and redirect her.

Once our older dog heard the commotion he ran up with his hackles up and scared the out of the woman. He didn't do anything of course and stopped when he was told, but it still scared her because of this size. Basically, my question is ....why does she only do this with some dogs and is she just being territorial with the yard? I have taken her other places with dogs around and all she wants to do is play! She is socialized quite a bit (is around new groups of people at least a couple times a week) and is great with new people. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. I will deal with whatever problems she has and work to correct them, I am just looking for some insight into what might be the reason or how she may act as she gets older. Thanks again!!!
-Kasey

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Personally I would keep a pup in a more quiet environment where it can't act out these scenarios.

It is not capable of deciding is an intruder on the territory ie'the lady' a friend or foe. The pup is just going on it's instincts. What else can it do. These behaviors will escalate unless you take away the motivators or learn how to calm down the pup. There is only so much training a pup can take though. It is programed for survival and these instincts aren't necessarily a problem if you know how to handle it.

IMO you should control the pups environment more. It will have plenty of time to explore the world when it is stronger.

our older dog.. ran up with his hackles up and scared the sh** out of the woman. He didn't do anything of course and stopped when he was told
How can you be so sure your dog wouldn't do anything. What would happen if the lady tried to run away or strike the dog with something. What happens if someone walks past your house walking there dog. I think your dogs should be leashed or in an enclosed area.

·
Registered
595 Posts
That is strange because I would have thought the puppy would take its cues from your older dog.

And that is a wonderful older dog to have!

Is the puppy getting enough rest? From my limited experience there is nothing else to do except supervise all of its outdoor time and teach it to be calmly accept when there are people/dogs walking by.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Your puppy needs to be taught how to react to situations like that. This generally requires you take an active role in that process.

It's good you attempted to redirect the puppy but if you wait until the puppy is going crazy in a high state of arousal you waited too long to redirect. At the point of high arousal any noises you make will often just make the puppy react more wildly. You should show disapproval and give light corrections or attempt to redirect as the puppy begins to fixate on the passing dogs, but before the dog ramps up to full on barking or growling. Stop it before it gets to that point. You reward when the puppy diverts attention to what you want them to. You may want to enlist the help of a neighbor with a calm dog to set up a situation that you have control over. Stop the puppy when they are at a lower level of arousal before it escalates to the barking at it will be much easier to get the puppy to listen to you. Pretty soon the puppy will learn to look to you for cues in a situation like that and not just react.

If your puppy shows fear or too much excitement have your neighbor move to a distance with the decoy dog until the puppy calms down and then try again. It is good to get this kind of thing out of the way early as it will prevent problems further down the road. Fix it before he weighs 80 to 100 pounds and can drag you down the road towards his target and do real damage.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
At 11 weeks the world needs to be fun & the pup should feel carefree. YOU are her protector & should show her that you are. I would make her outside space much smaller. Build her confidence, this is too much for a pup to take on. I would even limit the time with the older dog. She needs one on one time with you. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts