German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't believe how much taller he got. My little runt. I wish he put on some weight. I feel like he is too skinny. He eats 1 cup of royal canin puppy 2 times a day. I tried a mid afternoon feeding but he won't eat it. I wanted to give him wet food midday. Hubby says no that he is fine. Vet really didn't say either way since he has always been under puppy chart standard. I just feel like I should not see bones on his ribs.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's so cute. He isn't too skinny. You can't see his ribs. He will grow. Enjoy him when he's little.
Good to get other perspective. I honestly never thought I could love a animal so much. I have 2 other dogs. But there is just something about him.

He is very independent, will take some affection but is not a cuddler he is so confident and carrys himself like he is a king strutting around.

He has been really good with commands; rings bell for potty, sits, stays and comes. I transitioned off treats for those commands and just good boy. Working on drop it.

The exhausting first 3 weeks was worth it... he still a handful but is progressing. Which when your sleep deprived and getting landsharked initially it seems like it will never get better.

Looking forward to obedience classes.

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
He is not skinny at all. In fact I wouldn't even get him less skinny. Especially in the males you need to slow down their growth to prevent/lessen the chances of bone issues. Too many are impressed with crazy fast growth. By the way, this is just the start of his career so if he is a handful now, brace yourself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is not skinny at all. In fact I wouldn't even get him less skinny. Especially in the males you need to slow down their growth to prevent/lessen the chances of bone issues. Too many are impressed with crazy fast growth. By the way, this is just the start of his career so if he is a handful now, brace yourself.
Thanks for information. He is very smart, smartest dog I ever had.

I am impressed with his demeanor and although independent he does take correction. Which I will take as a good thing.

I am bewildered by the fact he is not as dependent on me as my other 2 dogs. They look to me for direction i.e. love affection from me.

Shamar has a take it or leave it attitude towards affection. He can be aloof. I don't know how to describe it...he is very self aware like he is not worried/apprehensive about anything.

My other two look for me to guide them. The closest comparison I have was in Law Enforcement I had to train with new officers... some always looked to me for reassurance, some where more confident but some times looked reassurance in difficult situations. Then you had those that just got it or faked it well atleast.

Shamar just gets it....I definitely know I have to do obedience training though because he tends to take lead and I know us humans need to be in control.

He already dominated the other 2 dogs and that was since he was brought home.

I first I thought they toleratedo him to please me, now I see they defer to him. Which is funny because he us so small... but kinda not funny because I know zip need to make sure he knows he has to follow human direction.

I am sure I am over analyzing but I am enjoying seeing him evolve and am fascinated with the whole puppy process i.e. figuring him out, getting to know him.

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
Your older dogs tolerate him because of his young age, he is not dominating them. This will change within a few weeks where your little bundle of joy will have to live by their rules; he will lose his 'puppy license'. But most importantly, they need to live by yours. That is the age where he might turn into the famous land shark stage. Stick around because there is help when you need it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your older dogs tolerate him because of his young age, he is not dominating them. This will change within a few weeks where your little bundle of joy will have to live by their rules; he will lose his 'puppy license'. But most importantly, they need to live by yours. That is the age where he might turn into the famous land shark stage. Stick around because there is help when you need it.

Thanks you for the warning on the older dogs tolerating him, I will keep eye on them. He takes over thier beds, they just move.He takes thier toys, they walk away. He eats thier food and they walk away. I correct him and am making sure he respects thier stuff. It's constant repetition, I'm sure he will eventually get it.

My GSD/French BD Male (rescued from flood zone, lost his family or wad abondoned during flood wasn't microchipped) loves to play with him. They can play for over an hour. Chico let's him take lead in everything. Chico is a gentle giant strong as an ox, but always ears back tail tucked when it comes to dealing with Bella.

My crazy nuerotic bitch Bella (rescued dog from hoarder) can't stand him and avoids him. She bosses Chico around and I don't think she would have a problem shredding him to pieces in front of me. She is my velcro dog. We fostered puppies before getting Shamar and I had to keep her separate. She had no tolerance or holding back with them.

I really think the fact that Shamar carries himself confidently holds her back. However I will definitely keep a watchful eye with your advice, I have not had a puppy long term in the house. I could be misreading everything.

Shamar has been land sharking already. He is more like Great White Sharking. I'm on my 3rd pair of flip flops, we just closed on our new house and he mauled my bar drywall in a 30 sec span while I answered the door, my leather couch got a mauling when I went to make a sandwich and my gun safe paint was shredded when I took the laundry out. Needless to say he now goes where I go or goes to his crate if I can't keep my eye on him.

After 6 kids, being a Navy Wife for 22 years, numerous deployments and being in law enforcement, I'm not as sensitive to the mischievousness or obnoxiouness of the pup.

My biggest issues was being sleep deprived and potty training. I was worn out just when I thought he would never get it and he has both down now, hallelujah.

The Land Sharking I am getting through now......I will take his land sharking over my 13 year old daughters eye rolling and attitude?

Im also trying to be aware of my actions. My husband says I favor Shamar and Bella notices...lol.. I'm like great now I not only have to not make my kids feel like there is no favorites, but my dogs too.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
Do not allow him to eat their food. Feed them separately and remove whatever they leave alone. Also you don't have to correct a pup, just teach him. Take him to a good class and keep him in class at least throughout his first year. Read up on this forum on all the topics to make you and him succeed. If you never had a GSD, you are in for a learning curve. I did!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Wolfy Dog. I had a German Shepherd growing up, but when I was young. I don't remember anything but her being attached at my dad's hip.

I will be sure to close crates while they eat for now on...

I'm reading, reading.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts