German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I am a first time owner of a GSD. He was a rehoming after his old family could no longer keep him. His name is Ninja, he is 3 years old, and they said he is a show line dog.
Ninja is well trained but has some reactivity issues, and is a bit mouthy. I have decided to join this forum for help, as well as a way to kind of keep track of our journey.
I have watched the videos in the "Help, leash aggressive dog" thread, and I will be starting with the "Surprise!" training today.
Besides that, Ninja is a very happy and healthy dog so far! Any general tips for a first time owner?
Thank you so much! Have a wonderful day.
-NinjaDawg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome! I just joined a few months ago for exactly the same reasons. It was a good decision. In my case, I eventually reached out to a GSD rescue organization for evaluation. Pretty much that saved our partnership.
It can feel like a huge responsibility to have a large strong dog whose history you don't know, & who communicates with her mouth a lot. I needed an objective appraisal of myself & my dog, to know if it was workable. Once I had that, I gained more faith in her, and now our bond, & my enjoyment of her, is very strong.
Hopefully, COVID isolation is winding down. It is good to get feedback from real dog people. People on the street can be very negative.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts