German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a picky eater ( totally my fault for feeding her lamb and steak ) .. I would have posted this in a different forum but it appears to be shutdown. I've decided to put her on kibble only with low sodium chicken stock twice a day until she is eating regular again. No snacks just food until she's content with eating it. I took her to the vet, did bloodwork + stool sample and she's healthy.

I'm including a couple photos.. Do you guys think she's too thin? The hard part of doing this is as a puppy i want her to get food but I don't want her dependent on chicken and steak i think she should eat her kibble until she's full grown. I'm giving her acana large breed puppy.

Oh she's currently exactly 5 months old to the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
She doesn't look too thin from what I can see in the photos, if anything she looks a little heavy. You should be able to see a definite taper at the waist. But she'll start sprouting up soon, so expect that her calorie requirements will increase when she's growing fast. My puppy went from 3.5 cups of kibble a day to 6 or 7 cups between 6 and 9 months, and even then her backbone was visible, as were her ribs...she was just growing so fast!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
To me she definitely does not look heavy at all. Not too skinny either though, from the photos I don't see hip bones or ribs. I think she looks like she's at a healthy weight, I see a clear defined waistline. You're right to not coddle and encourage her pickiness. I've found most dogs prefer raw fed over kibble however if you're looking for a better long term solution. I make my dogs work for their food, and they've never been picky since :wink2:.

·
Super Moderator
7,255 Posts
She doesn't look too thin from what I can see in the photos, if anything she looks a little heavy. You should be able to see a definite taper at the waist. But she'll start sprouting up soon, so expect that her calorie requirements will increase when she's growing fast. My puppy went from 3.5 cups of kibble a day to 6 or 7 cups between 6 and 9 months, and even then her backbone was visible, as were her ribs...she was just growing so fast!
Are we looking at the same photos? Zoom in, adjust screen lighting, something... :thinking:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
She looks very thin in the overhead pictures, but I don’t use that as a guide. Instead, check her ribs. You should be able to see them but not every outline. Puppies all fill out. My first one was like that until 18 months, then suddenly muscled up and became very solid. If you are worried, ask your vet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
She looks very thin in the overhead pictures, but I don’t use that as a guide. Instead, check her ribs. You should be able to see them but not every outline. Puppies all fill out. My first one was like that until 18 months, then suddenly muscled up and became very solid. If you are worried, ask your vet.
Thanks for your post.... i Can't "see" the individual ribs from the side... but I can see the outline of her entire rib cage from above. she's eating again finally on a regular basis.. sometimes she skips one meal. i'm no longer giving into her with table scraps. My vet tried to poach me on this "science diet" stuff. she ate it once or twice but man.. that stuff was slimy and gross. im not feeding her that crap. Her bloodwork and stool are ok....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are we looking at the same photos? Zoom in, adjust screen lighting, something... :thinking:
Ill post some more photos tommorow that have some better outlines... she's definitely thin. @45 pounds right now.. i'm guessing she's going to be huge when she finally fills in.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Look at the first picture carefully it's the only one where she's standing straight. Not much in the way of waistline definition I'd say....My dog always had more taper. But, the question was really about "is she too thin" - answer, no. She is a bit too heavy for me, but definitely not too thin!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Look at the first picture carefully it's the only one where she's standing straight. Not much in the way of waistline definition I'd say....My dog always had more taper. But, the question was really about "is she too thin" - answer, no. She is a bit too heavy for me, but definitely not too thin!

her skin hugs her rib cage... tightly... but you can't see the individual ribs. She's also quite long and lenky. Some loose skin. She ate twice today. I feel less worried now.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Good, she's definitely not too skinny! My comment about being slightly overweight came from the pics and angles...as long as her ribs and other bones, like back and hip bones, are not really prominent, she fine. As I said, with my puppy I had to increase her food almost twice as she was growing rapidly, just watch your dog and adjust for her. That's the key.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My girl isn’t a perfect comparison because she’s bigger and built a touch different, but here’s some comparative photos and angles you want to take it at:

I’ll try to get one from above later. Ideally you want to see a nice tuck, and from above the dog should almost have an hourglass-like shape. Not saying my girl is in perfect shape or anything, but you can see how going from straight on from the side helps people see the dog’s weight easier, since we can’t do a rib test.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thanks for sharing she looks great. How old is she?

Thanks! She’s a year old. 15 months to be exact. When you can see dogs from the side, it makes it easier to gauge if their weight is good, especially for deep chested dogs like a GSD. So long as you can feel the ribs fairly easily, she’s probably just fine. Were you able to get any?

And as an after thought, here is a photo of my partner’s WGSL, who at the time I considered slightly overweight:

Notice how you can’t see a defined tuck or “indent” between the hips and rib cage on her. She was probably around 75lbs in this photo and should’ve been closer to 70 in her older years. In her prime she was very fit and closer to 80 with muscle. But as she aged she lost muscle and definition, so I wish we would’ve kept her a touch slimmer. Would’ve been easier on her.

And a photo of my SIL’s Golden, for a long haired comparison:

Because of her fur you can’t see a very obvious tuck, but you can see the muscle definition and definition of the “indent” portion between her ribs and hips. She was about 58lbs here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts