German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 6 week old german shepherd last night, and let the crying begin lol. First observation is that he will not leave my side if I'm with him good thing ? Second he's going to be an outside dog so the question I have since he is a puppy should I have him in a crate inside or out at night?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Oh man. Your going to get a lot of replies on this one. So ill try and sum it up for you.

6 weeks is too young for the puppy to be away from the litter. There is a lot of great things they learn from littermates in the 6-8 week period. If you can, have the "breeder" take the puppy back for a week or two, if there are any other puppies left. If not, just know you may have more work ahead with bite inhibition than someone who got a puppy at 8 weeks. But it will be ok.

Very few people here condone "outside dogs." Dogs are meant to be wih their family. Inside. Teach him inside manners and potty train and I bet you'll love having him as a family member. If not, yes crate him at night. A puppy that young should not be left outside alone at all, let alone at night.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I was growing up our dogs were always outside, it may be true that they would rather be with the pack, but I get some houses aren't set up for that. that being said, as a baby he should be with you (or someone) all the time unless he is sleeping or in his crate, I would guess till about 6 months, because this is when he learns how to function in your pack. If you don't then you might start seeing a lot of issues (think moody teenager)

Being outside is fine as long as you don't forget about him, I think the reason it worked in the good old days is because everyone was always outside, now I have to wonder, how often are you going to be inside watching TV or on the computer instead of outside with him?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
When I was growing up our dogs were always outside, it may be true that they would rather be with the pack, but I get some houses aren't set up for that. that being said, as a baby he should be with you (or someone) all the time unless he is sleeping or in his crate, I would guess till about 6 months, because this is when he learns how to function in your pack. If you don't then you might start seeing a lot of issues (think moody teenager)

Being outside is fine as long as you don't forget about him, I think the reason it worked in the good old days is because everyone was always outside, now I have to wonder, how often are you going to be inside watching TV or on the computer instead of outside with him?
Good point! :thumbup: My dog is outside off an on through out the day, when its nice outside. But she also spends equal if not more time inside with us. And sleeps inside. If she was an outside only dog, I feel like I would spend very little time with her because we just don't spend that much time in our back yard.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Eagle

Here in SW Texas after both the drought and the massive fires we've had the bald and golden eagles have taken up residence in the suburbs. I saw one quietly feeding on a calico cat carcass in the top of a surviving pine tree two months ago and a VERY large dark colored hawk or golden eagle is seen regularly over our house and west to some extensive open drainage areas.

Around here the largest hawk is a Mexican Red-tailed hawk. They're not all that dark. So, it's not a bird of prey I've ever seen around here.

About the time we brought out Zeus home at 8 weeks we started taking note of that large hawk / eagle. It did, in fact, orbit the yard a few times when I had the puppy in the yard. From then on I never let the puppy outside without close (within 10 yards) supervision from a human.

About a month to six weeks after we began seeing the hawk I was walking Zeus and a lady came out with her Golden Retriever to meet Zeus. She related to me that several small dogs had disappeared in the recent weeks from their yards. Then I told her of the hawk.

Ummm, for those of you who would like to leave a 6 week old puppy in the yard for any period of time, but especially near dawn and dusk when hawks and eagles hunt aggressively, this could be a cautionary tale.

Zeus will be 6 mos. on the 19th. He's 70+ pounds now. He'd eat a hawk just for the fun of it now.

LF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts