German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP, Please! Scared!

Okay, Meika is home and today is day one since she got here and since she has been spayed. I have other animals in the house, 2 cats and another female dog. Maggie is a female Mini Schnauzer. Meika tried to bite her. She acutally got her mouth around Maggies hind legs as I was picking her up to keep her from being bitten.

Ok so I understand that some are agressive, but Meika spent all day with my foster schnauzer in the car and in the vets office, no problems at all. The schnauzer is on bed rest so there is no issue there. The issue seems to be with my female schnauzer. I dont know what to think. Could it be cause she is still recovering from surgery? Or is this an agression that I should be concerned with? I would think that this was the establishing dominance in the pack, but I dont know what to do, I cannot bring myself to allow Maggie to get hurt. Does anyone have any experience with this?

We are going to do obedence training with her, just have to let her heal first.

Sorry to go on and on... but I am locked in my office with the Maggie cause I dont want her to get hurt.

I urgently await everyone thoughts!

Kara ( Meika's New Mom)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Do you have a crate? Your pup may have been trying to play- GSD's play a little rougher and it can look aggressive when it is just an attempt to say hi lets play. I would of course keep the dogs separated when you can't monitor them and use a crate when things get out of hand and one needs to cool their heels a bit.

When the GSD is with the other dog teach her to play nice. Correct rough behavior with an eh eh and redirect the play to a toy engaging her in play with you. It's going to take months for the two girls to really adjust to each other so expect to have to be super vigilant and involved for awhile teaching the new girl how to play nice and stopping unwanted play immediately. Also, FYI when you pick a dog up to escape this rough play you are actually encouraging it. Doing this makes the older dog look like a moving toy waiting to be grabbed and puts the older dog higher up making your pup want to jump up to get her. Instead get in between them and redirect with both of them on the ground:)

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Many times when you are bringing in a new dog(especially same sex) you'll get some confrontation going on.
It is a good idea to introduce them on neutral territory and off leash if possible.
Crate is a given, as the GSD is recovering from spay.
Tomorrow, maybe take them both out together for a brisk walk, don't stop walking just forge ahead keeping them moving. I don't think it will hinder the spay recovery to do this exercise. If you have someone that will go with you, that would be best. I agree, don't pick up the smaller dog, just block them from getting close together if you see the behaviors getting ramped up.
Toys, treats may help distract too. But as you don't know this GSD very well yet, I would opt to keep them seperated(when not supervised) while she heals.
Females are a challenge to get to "like" each other when they are older, so if you see this not working out, I would think hard about keeping Meika.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would pick a new command, like "play nice" or "to rough" and say it in a firm tone. If he doesn't stop, put him in his cage. Your dog will quickly learn to knock it off after the warning.

I have three dogs that like to play pretty rough and those commands still come in handy. They get one warning, and then to their room if they don't listen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Females are a challenge to get to "like" each other when they are older, so if you see this not working out, I would think hard about keeping Meika.
Meika is 19 months and Maggie is 4. From the way GSD play is being explained here, it seems that is what she is wanting to do. Then Maggie barks at her.
Thank you for everyones thoughts. I appreciate it! I am a nervous nelly when it comes to animals, and GSD simply cause I know they are VERY VERY smart.

I dont want to have to give Meika or Maggie up.

Kara

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts