German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just got our 14 weeks old GSD a week ago. everything was fine the first few days, and then he started acting weird. When we take him outside, he refuses to walk. he plops down in the middle of the street and cries if i pull him. Usually, if i leave the leash and walk away, he follows within a minute, even if he doesn't want to walk. Today, i did that and he ran towards the house instead. i dont know what to do, its getting worse and worse by the day. He doesnt seem scared of anything, very friendly with people and dogs and very playful at home. if i pick him up and carry him around the corner or to the park, he will snap out of it but if he is near the house, he will throw a fit rather than move. any help is much appreciated.

Max's Mom

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
He's just a baby. I would use treats to encourage him along. Maybe he's not use to the leash, in which case you might want to work with him more indoors with the leash on. It could be the noises outside, carrying him or giving him treats might help to booster his confidence. Now has he had all his shots already? You don't want to take him out unless his fully vacinated. Also please don't leave him and the leash and walk away (even a few feet). A puppy that won't move one moment might just dart in front of a car the next.
Hope you enjoy your new puppy!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Oh the wonders of puppyhood... my male -2 yrs old now- was exactly like that as a puppy. HE would NOT walk away from home, or if he did, it was a very short distance, then he would lay down and refuse to walk. Your puppy might be going through a fear period, the only thing he knows right now is your home and he might be hesitant to leave his new home. Just take plenty of treats with and lure him with the treats, even if you make little progress every day that is good.
It will get better and soon he will be walking with you every day. My male cannot WAIT to go for walks now and he wants to be on the go constantly..

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
He may have never been on a leash before. One of my females I bought at 4.5 months old and hated being on a leash the first few times we walked her. As others have said, treats, a toy, praise and a firm pleasant attitude from you will let your pup know that walking on a leash with you is a good thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts