German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I guess I'm the typical first new owner! I freak out about a lot of stuff having to do with my pup and am totally glad there are so many other GS owners here that are very welcoming, helpful, and knowledgeable.

My girl's name is Eclair (named for her "lightening" ability to learn, but doesn't hurt she looks like a chocolate covered pastry with legs):D She's currently 9 mos now. With a chronic giardia issue for 5+mos that my vet and I are trying to resolve. Any tips, advise or experiences would help. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Welcome, love to see more people and pics from California.
Like you, I freak out about my puppy all the time. Luckily everyone here is so helpful. I found a few tips for giardia from members here. We tried the vets panacur but had to do two rounds and was till having issues. Members here told about Cocci Free (Amazon) first few days it made the diarrhea worse but after that things finally are looking better. I still give him some with yogurt to help his digestive system.

Once again welcome and hope to see some pictures of your chocolate eclair.:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi! Eclair is the cutest name :) sorry you're dealing with giardia, that can be a serious pain.
Also in CA (Southern) and treating brand new pup for coccidia, fortunately the diarrhea isn't too pronounced so she's managing to keep up with a house training/crate schedule. Unfortunately her appetite is nowhere near what I'd like :(
Hope you get the giardia sorted. The only things I can think of are:check and recheck pups water supply. Is she drinking from puddles or areas poopy paws could have trodden in? Also

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
For the giardia issue look into kocci free. My girl also had a chronic giardia problem, no prescription meds worked. She was very skinny and malnourished. After 6 days of kocci free she stared having solid poop and after 10 days she was completely healed. She has gained over 10 pounds in the passed two months and looks amazing now. I keep a bottle on hand for any fosters that come through here also. Amazing stuff.

Ps. Love the name!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
Greetings and welcome from the OC where I live in a constant state of near panic with Maisey, my first ever dog / puppy. You'll find lots of helpful and friendly folks here willing to answer questions and restore a sense of calm to your life, LOL! Now we need to see some pics of that delicious sounding pup of yours ;)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I know how frustrating treating the giardia can be. The first time she had it, there were no obvious symptoms. I got her tested because I saw someone from our training class at my BIL's party, he mentioned his dog got giardia from the training facility and I should my dog checked too. She was positive. The 2nd time for giardia was difficult to treat, 2 rounds of antibiotics, the 2nd round required two antibiotics at one time.

I think all the GI issues made our dog very sensitive to any kibble. She is now on dehydrated and frozen prepared raw foods. I hope your dog recovers better than mine. Welcome from the Monterey Bay area!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts