German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just introduced a 10 week German Shepherd into my home. He was in a litter of 5. These weight gain charts are terrifying me, because he is 10 weeks old and only weighs 10 pounds. I have read that some 10 week olds can weight twice that. He has been to the vet and has no intestinal parasites. I have documentation of the wormer that was administered via the seller and all. I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong as far as diet goes? I don't want him to become overweight, but I do not want to undernurish him. He is CKC registered and all four grandparents are purebred GSDs (all quite large in size). Am I jumping the gun being worried at this stage in the growing process??

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
There is great variety in size. The body condition of your puppy is what you want to look at.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say body condition - do you mean how he is set up? As far as how long his legs, torso, head size, etc.?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
When you say body condition - do you mean how he is set up? As far as how long his legs, torso, head size, etc.?
I think Samba means if he's skinny or chunky.

In a large part, your dog is what he is. Obviously you can't change his head size or his leg length. He has a genetically pre-determined size and shape that he will reach with proper care and nutrition, but you can't give him Miracle-Gro to make him grow bigger than he's meant to be. Obviously malnourishment will keep him from reaching the size he should be, and over-feeding will just make him fat. That's why you want to make sure he's in good body condition- not too skinny and not too fat. Just getting the nourishment he needs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, what would you recommend for dry dog food? I've been told I need to stay away from Ol Roy (of course) and similar brands. What do you recommend? He is currently on Eukanuba per the seller.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
get him on a good grain free Large Breed Puppy Food. Orijen and Wellness are both top notch

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
get him on a good grain free Large Breed Puppy Food. Orijen and Wellness are both top notch
Did Wellness start making a grain-free puppy food? I agree Wellness and Orijen are awesome; but I didn't know Wellness had started doing grain-free puppy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had two Siberian Huskies that I had on Solid Gold and thought about trying him with that. I just read something different everywhere I go about the best dog food! Very overwhelming!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I had two Siberian Huskies that I had on Solid Gold and thought about trying him with that. I just read something different everywhere I go about the best dog food! Very overwhelming!
Solid Gold Wolf Cub = good food for large breed pups.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
hi emoore,

i could be wrong.. i've never fed it, but for some reason was under the impressive it was grain free.

but to the OP, whether the wellness is grain-free or not, the LBP by them is still a great food

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cloud is currently on Wellness , i know it's a really good food but i'm not sure if it's right for him. He has this bad odor which to my understanding is most of the time related directly to dog food . I was thinking of trying Orijen but my friend has Blue buffalo and i think i'll try that first . Just my experience with Wellness.

·
Registered
96 Posts
First of all I wouldn't worry right now about his weight as long as he's seen the vet and the vet says he's healthy. Angel was 16lbs when we first got her (9 weeks old) and now (3 weeks later) she's 20lbs. Demon was 17lbs and is now 22lbs. What I'm getting at is they'll grow fast and most likely in spurts. As for dry dog food find the best quality of food in your price range. Personally I like Wellness and Blue Buffalo, they both make a decent quality puppy formula that's still within our budget. And when they're 1.5 years old they both have high quality grain free formulas that I can switch between.

·
Registered
96 Posts
First of all I wouldn't worry right now about his weight as long as he's seen the vet and the vet says he's healthy. Angel was 16lbs when we first got her (9 weeks old) and now (3 weeks later) she's 20lbs. Demon was 17lbs and is now 22lbs. What I'm getting at is they'll grow fast and most likely in spurts. As for dry dog food find the best quality of food in your price range. Personally I like Wellness and Blue Buffalo, they both make a decent quality puppy formula that's still within our budget. And when they're 1.5 years old they both have high quality grain free formulas that I can switch between.
I agree with this one. My pup was a mere 9.8 lbs about 3 weeks ago and she was a little over 2 months. She had went on this growth spurt, but went up, not out. I weighed her every week since her last vet visit and this one (two weigh ins plus the weigh in yesterday) and her weight growth was quick. First weigh in she put on ~4.4 lbs, second weigh in she put on ~2.5 lbs, third weigh in she put on ~3.6 lbs. Each weigh in was a week apart. She went from 9.8 to 19.3 lbs and is now 3 months and 1 week. She was fine before that as far as weight went.

I also use blue buffalo, and she seems to love it.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Can I ask why these vets push this Science Diet so much? Is it REALLY all it is cracked up to be?

Because they get paid to and no, it is not all it is cracked up to be. You got really good suggestions here for a good quality food. I would go with those instead of SD. :)

Also welcome and congrats on your new puppy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts