German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband had to go in to work today so we figure it would be a good idea to take Jinx with us for some socializing. Took her down let her meet people did some training with her. (sit, platz, watch (me), touch (nose to hand), heel, and come) She did great then we walked along a huge fence that my husband kept rattling and it didn't phase her at all.

After seeing her energy we decided to keep going down a path in the woods near his job and she did great off leash of course my camera was in the car. We got home and she crashed then decided after lunch to go for a real hike in another area on base. She did great off leash went down HUGE steep hills through dark tunnels down unstable rocks and nothing phased her. This time I had the camera and took pictures and video will post them in a few.

So after about 2 hours of hiking off leash (leashed up a few times because we got close to a busy road and just in case she got spooked wanted some control) she is now home and DEAD!! She isn't moving for the life of her she got up once for a drink and on the way back went to stretch and just collapsed and laid there lol. She's not even following me into the kitchen while I cook dinner. So for this time at least WE WON!!! WOOHOOO :p

I know the saying "A tired pup is a good pup" but this is just heaven lol.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
how old is your pup? 2 hours of hiking might be to much.
If it was off leash hiking, then I say you did just fine with your puppy. It's amazing how long they can be out and pace themselves safely!

Holmeshx2, hope you got your photos/video together to show us something like this!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
why is a 2 hour hike with a pup ok off leash as opposed to being on a leash? when my pup was 10 weeks old he couldn't go a mile. we did it
once and he plopped down several times and he got an abrasion
on his pad. the abrasion happened because he was always on grass
untill the mile walk.

how old is your pup? 2 hours of hiking might be to much.
If it was off leash hiking, then I say you did just fine with your puppy. It's amazing how long they can be out and pace themselves safely!

Holmeshx2, hope you got your photos/video together to show us something like this!

YouTube - Glory B (11 wks) and Bretta Lee (5 yrs) Hiking in the Woods

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was offleash except for coming and going onto the "trail" because we were near a busy road at the entrance. Also she is just about 12 weeks and it was at a "slower" pace. We stopped for water allowed her to dig some and investigate and let her go at her pace more or less.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh also I did get videos and posted them already (believe they are under bragg section) I was hoping you'd look at them and see how we did.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Oh also I did get videos and posted them already (believe they are under bragg section) I was hoping you'd look at them and see how we did.
Thanks, I loved them and you are doing a great job!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
why is a 2 hour hike with a pup ok off leash as opposed to being on a leash? when my pup was 10 weeks old he couldn't go a mile. we did it
once and he plopped down several times and he got an abrasion
on his pad. the abrasion happened because he was always on grass
untill the mile walk.
Off leash hiking/walking/etc. allows the puppy to go at it's own pace.. slow down when tired, speed up when willing.. no forced excerise which allows the puppy's growing body to make the choice to go or to rest, not the one holding the leash.

As long as there were breaks for the puppy then all should be okay.

My pup was doing about that (more some days) at that age, plus swimming in the lake! :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I to would have thought 2 hours straight whether leashed or not would be too much.
I doubt Shadow would have done that much either.
Now maybe if we had of started slowly to build our pup up to two hours, then maybe, but even then I don't think I would have started until 12 weeks at least.

Jinx is gorgeous by the way.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Awww. When Layla was that age, and a little older, she'd make it clear if/when a walk was too much for her, and I'd carry her the rest of the way. She had lived ages 8 - 12 weeks basically in a crate in an ice-cold air-conditioned apartment with idiots, so I had to ease her into exercise and outdoors time.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Well guys, I think it was fine. You have to imagine that the pup was not just WALKING for 2 hours straight but was stopping, laying down, sitting for pictures and breaks, and digging holes as the pics show. Just an active day IMO... Saber is the same age (same litter) and she would pull that off fine I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts