German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we recently moved . We are more in the country and have 9 acres. We have a neighbor who has a beagle terrier mix. He has aright away to his home through our back yard. We fenced in about 2/3 of an acre. We have a pond. The girls love the pond and jump in when ever they get a chance but that's another thread. Anyways the new neighbor believes that collars and being restricted is unfair to the dog he has. Ive had to step in when ever he wants to mix his little girl w/ our three. I keep saying all three extreme prey drive she weighs 10 lbs. bad idea. On the 4thhelet off fireworks as did the whole area. our son and his buddy joined and left off some too. His little dog took off into the woods. my husband helped look as I did and by Friday night she had not returned. On Saturday the neighbor stopped in because after he had stopped at a house to ask if they had seen his dog they remembered another neighbor who had found a little beagle down the road. It was his dog. Later that day as it was hot and the girls hadn't been in the pond in a while we put them on long leads and let them play for awhile. meanwhile his dog is out running around, no collar and my dogs are watching. Husband says lets put them back in the fence which means they cant finish their swim. I emphatically said no. I'm real tired of not being able to walk my dogs after 10:00am b/c he lets his dog run on my property and I don't want a problem. I just cant believe he still doesn't have a collar and tags or a microchip on her. I per my husband ticked him off when I suggested he do something like a microchip. I also think working on recall might help. I on Saturday afternoon lost it . He may have heard me over his mower and unfortunately I did not chose to be G rated. I bought property in the country so I wouldn't be in the burbs with people who don't understand that coyotes and traffic kill dogs especially little dogs they cant see on the road. Being a hothead I suggested a microchip and maybe some training or an invisible fence. I want to walk my dogs w/ out being boogied by a little terrier. I'm working through our own pack issues and I'm not up to making the little one
a part of the pack. I need to set some boundaries w/ this guy re his dog and I'm worried she's going to end up dead. I cant believe he adopted and no one questioned the lack of collar or fencing. So any suggestions on how I handle this re the neighbor and what can I do to make things easier for our three. I kind of feel I'm being held hostage by his unwillingness to restrain her .I also know if I go hardline my dogs if they get loose will pay a much stiffer penalty if they are on his property then his dog running around on my property. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I'm not sure I'm 'getting' how the set up is, but, is there anyway you can fence, even picket fence off the area TO the pond to keep his dog on the other side? So you could get some peace and allow the dogs (yours) to swim without worrying when the beagle is going to pop into the mix?

I feel bad for the beagle, his owner's ignorance is going to get him killed:(

I have a temper, I admit it:) I'd probably have a SERIOUS chat with the guy and say "look" this is MY property, and you may not 'get it', but if my dogs get loose while yours is running around, it could be a big problem ..

Or talk to the local AC see what the laws are in your area..

Sometimes people are so thick and no matter what you say, even in the best interest of their dog, they arent going to 'get it' :(

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I feel for you. Theres a saying that "fences make good neighbors" and your neighbor is the reason why. Will your neighbor agree on a time frame of when he walks his dog so that you can have run of your own property with your dogs? I would at least ask him to keep his dog on a leash on your property.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I wouldn't want to see the dog get killed either. I was at my new house and out of the corner of my eye I see a black flash. I look again and its a black cocker spaniel running down the middle of the street. Couldn't catch the little booger, but I would love to know who owned it:mad: I'm thinking something as simple as chicken wire can keep the little dog out. I don't have a solution for a stupid owner.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is that during the year that the guy has had the dog he lets the dog run free when he is out. He does not want to in any way restrain her movement. I think the idea that I need to work out a schedule is probably best. I think I am going to have to talk to him.
Our properties were originally an 18 acre parcel of the farm across the street. Two sisters built next to each other and as they retired they sold the houses. We are having the lines of the property resurveyed and have our dogs in a fenced area when outside. The problem is the dog has been allowed to run free on our property since the neighbor got her. She is a sweetie just a typical beagle with terrier mix with no recall.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Maybe pick him up and take him to the shelter? They can claim him and pay the impound fee, or not and he'll be adopted to someone who will take better care of him?

That sounds mean, but it's probably kinder than letting him get hit by a car or mauled by another animal.

That is tough. Otherwise, I agree about putting up more fencing. What a pain, some people are really clueless.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ohio is a leash law state. All dogs must be controlled at all times. Is there a dog warden in your area that could come out and see the neighbors dog running loose and then give him a verbal warning. I had to do that with one of my neighbors years ago and it worked.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'm at a loss about any suggestions but I always try to reply to your threads...So I hope something works out for you...I can't let my two play with little dogs either. I'm lucky that when people see Smokey they leash their dogs. If they don't I tell them my dogs aren't friendly and they usually understand.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
9 acres and a pond? First of all, congratulations...and yes I'm jealous of your new digs ;)

But not of the dog situation. My across the street neighbors have gotten their little dog under control (well, they take it on the opposite side of their house now), but when their adult daughter visits she brings her maltese, "Cujo." Well, that name is a clue as the dog's temperament and the owner's handling style. That little terror always comes running and yapping into my unfenced yard. (Un)fortunately, we already had one incident where Jack chased a visitor's small dog back into that neighbor's yard, and left a couple puncture wounds as reminders...so the neighbors already know that is a dangerous move.

We talked it through after that incident, and if I see the daughter's vehicle, I'll yell across the street to warn her to call in Cujo before I release mine. But anyway, it started with a conversation during which we agreed that the street is our boundary. If theirs come into my yard, it's their bad. If mine were to go into theirs, same deal.

Maybe you can let the neighbor know that if his dog comes onto your property, you are not responsible for the little dog's safety, with a kind of warning tone behind it. He might think twice about letting it roam.

Then again, that could just exacerbate the problem :(

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Wow I will be watching this thread to see how you handle this one. I am sorry you are having these issues with your neighbor. Sounds like nice property though I hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Personally, I would fence the entire property. That way you know for sure that the other dog can't get into your yard and your dogs can't get out. Welded wire field fencing isn't that expensive and you can do all the work yourself. That's what we did when we bought our place with 3 acres.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Personally, I would fence the entire property. That way you know for sure that the other dog can't get into your yard and your dogs can't get out. Welded wire field fencing isn't that expensive and you can do all the work yourself. That's what we did when we bought our place with 3 acres.
But the OP is also worried about coyotes or traffic getting the small dog, so I think the concern is more for its safety, e.g., getting its owner to contain it. Not to mention the nuisance of it coming over.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
There is nothing you can really do for an owner that refuses to be responsible. My parents have about 6 acres with a pond (I live next door with an acre of land myself). The entire property is fenced with the relatively inexpensive field fence and t-posts/some wooden posts ... works great. I would work toward that myself or at least fencing off as much as you want as a stress free exercise/play area for your dogs.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I would just put up fencing and protect my dogs because you know what happens, the big GSD is the one that wil get in trouble for going after the little dog. I woild deffinately take pictures of this dog loose on your property.
Personally I think it's totally rude to let your dog loose to roam around on other peoples property aside from te dangers the dog will be exposed to but since you have to live there it's probably best to avoid confrontation.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
we recently moved . We are more in the country and have 9 acres. We have a neighbor who has a beagle terrier mix. He has aright away to his home through our back yard. We fenced in about 2/3 of an acre. We have a pond. The girls love the pond and jump in when ever they get a chance but that's another thread. Anyways the new neighbor believes that collars and being restricted is unfair to the dog he has. Ive had to step in when ever he wants to mix his little girl w/ our three. I keep saying all three extreme prey drive she weighs 10 lbs. bad idea. On the 4thhelet off fireworks as did the whole area. our son and his buddy joined and left off some too. His little dog took off into the woods. my husband helped look as I did and by Friday night she had not returned. On Saturday the neighbor stopped in because after he had stopped at a house to ask if they had seen his dog they remembered another neighbor who had found a little beagle down the road. It was his dog. Later that day as it was hot and the girls hadn't been in the pond in a while we put them on long leads and let them play for awhile. meanwhile his dog is out running around, no collar and my dogs are watching. Husband says lets put them back in the fence which means they cant finish their swim. I emphatically said no. I'm real tired of not being able to walk my dogs after 10:00am b/c he lets his dog run on my property and I don't want a problem. I just cant believe he still doesn't have a collar and tags or a microchip on her. I per my husband ticked him off when I suggested he do something like a microchip. I also think working on recall might help. I on Saturday afternoon lost it . He may have heard me over his mower and unfortunately I did not chose to be G rated. I bought property in the country so I wouldn't be in the burbs with people who don't understand that coyotes and traffic kill dogs especially little dogs they cant see on the road. Being a hothead I suggested a microchip and maybe some training or an invisible fence. I want to walk my dogs w/ out being boogied by a little terrier. I'm working through our own pack issues and I'm not up to making the little one
a part of the pack. I need to set some boundaries w/ this guy re his dog and I'm worried she's going to end up dead. I cant believe he adopted and no one questioned the lack of collar or fencing. So any suggestions on how I handle this re the neighbor and what can I do to make things easier for our three. I kind of feel I'm being held hostage by his unwillingness to restrain her .I also know if I go hardline my dogs if they get loose will pay a much stiffer penalty if they are on his property then his dog running around on my property. Any feedback is appreciated.

The first thing I would do is talk with the neighbor and let him know that his dog is not wanted on YOUR property. Directly after that, I would post no trespassing signs and then the very next thing I would do whether or not he concedes to your demand is contact the local law enforcement and inquire what is within your rights and what you could be held liable for. I would also inform them of the situation and that his dog is puting your dogs in a fatal risk of injury or death by being on your land. What ever way you do it, you want a paper trail. When you call, record dates times and names and badge numbers for your records. My first concern would be for my dog. His dog would be a secondary concern. If your required to fill out a complaint, so beit. This neighbor obviously does not take your concerns or feeling into account, so why should you take his?

I'm in a similar quandery with my next door nieghbor, and it's about to get ugly. She also lets her dogs run off leash in a city where there IS leash laws. I've already informed her that it would be better if she kept her dogs in her yard to poo. But that fell on def ears and she still lets them over to my sideyard to poo. But since she picks it up or when she picks it up, in her mind it makes it ok to let her dogs run to my yard to poo. In short, she feels like she can do what ever she feels like doing which includes leting her dogs run off leash. So I have an idea of what your going through and it sounds almost like the same people. Maybe they're related?

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everybody. I do have a large fenced in area and I just need some predictability that I'm going to have my dogs out on leash or on long tie outs or on long cables so the girls can swim and not be bothered by the little one.. The problem is that his beagle/terrier mix appears in our yard and she runs around the dogs in mad circles and all three kick into prey drive. I don't know when Ill feel comfortable allowing my dogs to be off leash for the girls it will be when they have a solid recall ,Lucky he still sees a rabbit or squirrel and its off on the hunt. I just don't understand how if you lost your dog for three days you don't think that on 4th of July weekend she should maybe be leashed or put in the house or secured. Mine spent their 4th in side as the fireworks were going off and I tried to keep stuff calm. I obviously need to talk tohim ,the neighbor so maybe this weekend

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Good idea! Talking helps. With my neighbors, I think it made a difference that Jack is a rescue. I was forthright in explaining that out of my three dog, big scary dog pack, he's my "wild card." And I made sure to explain that we are in OB training. And they see us outside almost every evening doing just that.

Both of your girls could be your wild cards, one more than the other from what I've read ;)

Anyway, that might give you a place to start. We don't have fences here, but Jack still needs his exercise. I do keep him on an ecollar, just in case, and that relaxes the neighbors as well. Though, admittedly, he wears it, but I never use it. They don't know that, but that and the rescue factor and the training really brought them around quickly. Like, there's a potential danger, but not his fault, but we are working on it. It worked well enough that they are supportive rather than combative and we are working together for all the dogs' best interests. It kinda shrank the boundary line ;) and they make an effort now to keep their own pups on their side of the road.

Keep us posted!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Give him a notarized warning of some sort, then IF his dog gets hurt he wont come suing. If youre really worried and he just wont listen then calling cops is another option.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

I completely agree with this. There is NO reason you should set up a schedule with your neighbor to use YOUR property. Even if you put up chicken wire around the entire 9 acres it's something and it's cheaper than other fencing options. You would be able to save up if needed to replace the chicken wire with better fencing. Clearly he isn't going to do anything about his dog and disrespect of you and your property. Doesn't matter how many talks you have with him. No schedules, especially since from the sounds of things, he wouldn't abide by it anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would explore the fence the entire area however I agreed to allow a local farmer to mow the hay in my 4 acre front field so fencing is kind of out. Will continue to explore that option.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts