German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I might not be able to take the advice. It is touchy.

If you count the critters in my signature, need to update that to include Gretta, and I don't generally put whelps in my signature, well it is not hard to see that I have dogs. And dogs make noise.

Mine are quiet for the most part, except when I am out there feeding them.

I feed them twice a day: in the morning and after I close up here, usually between 11:30 and 1:00AM. This is bad because my dogs are all saying "Me, me, me, feed me, feed me first, Hi, come over here!"

Otherwise, my dogs are not a nuisance. I do not let them roam about, poop on other people's lawns, or chew on neighbor children, bark at people walking down the road, chase cars, bicycles, Amish buggies. I put up privacy fences so that the neighbors can within reason use their yards without my crew letting them know they are unwelcome.

I try to have a good relationship with the neighbors.

But the new ones are driving me to drink.

A black lab mix showed up in my yard. He is a male, and probably there because of one of my bitches. But he is hanging out at the neighbor's too. So instead of just calling the dog warden and telling them to come and get him, I made the mistake of walking over to the neighbor's house and asking if the dog was theirs.

If it was not theirs I was going to call the dog warden and have them come and pick it up.

The guy said it was not theirs but they are thinking about keeping him.

So I told him that if they want to keep him, they have to contain him because I have a litter of puppies over there, and I can't have stray dogs in my yard, it is very dangerous to my puppies. And that he is driving them crazy.

He made a comment about my dogs.

He also said he did not want me to call the dog warden, have problems with new neighbors, etc. and he took the dog and put it in his fenced back yard. Fine. But it seemed like it did not go well. Later when I drove up, the dog was out in the front again. I figured the wife came home and let the dog out, and in a few days they will figure it out.

But, not so, it has been two weeks and the dog is out, and over in my yard.

I am afraid to call the dog warden because that will really tick off the neighbors.

I could shoot the dog. I am not sure I can shoot a dog. But if I shot it and buried it, then they would figure the dog trotted on home and there would be no hard feelings. Obviously, I do not want to do this.

But, here I am. I have a puppy yard in the front that I cannot use because of this dog running loose. I have a litter of pups that are susceptible to diseases I might carry in on my shoes. And my dogs are making more noise whenever they see the boy out there.

I will not put bark collars on them, because I want them to alert to things that are not supposed to be there, and leaving collars on dogs in kennels is dangerous.

These are the neighbors who shoot the big gun (very loud report) at 1:30 in the morning. They are young, and they are a bit roudy. And frankly, I am afraid of calling the dog warden at this point and starting problems with the neighbors.

In the past two weeks, I have had to rush my girl into the truck because the dog came charging over. I have had to yell at the dog as it made a bee-line to my trash when I put it on the tree lawn, and every day it is in my yard.

If I tell the neighbors that I will shoot the dog if it comes in my yard, I am afraid they will retaliate.

This is a big black problem that has several solutions and all of them seem like they will spark a neighbor war, which I really want to avoid.

I have called a missing dog (looked like it) phone number I saw at the grocery store, but they found their dog.

I have actually been hoping that someone would run it over in the road.

This is really sad.

I want to post a sign saying I will shoot your **** dog if it is in my yard again. But that will definitely cause problems.

By back yard is fenced in, but there is no way to fence the front. I have a little x-pen yard for the puppies, that I like to use when I am right there, but I am concerned about that now because the dog might attack the pups while I am transporting, and the dog might have something, worms, fleas, herpes, kennel cough, that my babies will have a harder time shaking. If the older pups get something, it might travel to the younger pups via the dam.

We live out in the country so no noise ordinances. Ohio does have a leash law though, so they are violating that. The new dog warden seems very responsive. The sherriff's department is really not in dog-issues. I am really not afraid of them because they shoot guns off at night, but I do not know them at all, and if arrange for the dog warden to talk to them or to pick up the dog, I really do not know if they will retaliate by trying to do something to my dogs, or by trying to make my life miserable because my dogs bark when I am feeding them. It takes me about 20 minutes to feed them at night, even when I bring them all in, it takes time to go and get each one. In the morning I have a bit more time when they are out running, barking, while I clean kennels, fill water buckets, feed everyone. I have a couple who like to use their loud piercing barks. But mostly they aren't that bad and give it up. Once everyone is back in their day-time place, they are all quiet.

I have a cable tie out, do you think they would get the hint if I go and tie their dog to one of their trees and put a bucket of water with it?

So what would you do?

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
I'd either shoot near the dog so it runs away and does not come back, or transport it myself to animal control since it's technically a stray.
Or call and tell them he's a stray and have them take him away.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I don't think you're dogs barking a couple of times a day during feeding is a big deal. It's daytime and it's twice a day so that shouldn't even be a relevant point if they're trying to use that against you.

Perhaps try talking to them again? Maybe the wife this time since the man didn't take the hint. I would try talking to them again before I call the dog warden but I would definitely call if a second talk gets no desired results.

Is there any way you can move the x-pen to your backyard since you said the back is fenced in?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
You are right it is a very touchy situation. Is there any way without them knowing it that you could catch the dog and take it to the dog shelter? That way the dog would be out of your hair, it would have a chance to live a happy life somewhere other than your yard. Good luck and I hope you find a solution that will work for everyone.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
how many neighbors do you have, i know that you live in the country but is there a way to say if call them that it was not you, must have been someone else? that may work. i would say be discreet and let the warden take care of the dog, it is becoming an issue for you and it technically being a stray, it probably has no vaccinations, so i truly believe that spreading something to the pups is an issue. it sucks for the dog, but it is the responsible thing to do in this situation.
i hope you find the answer you are looking for. good luck.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree with msvette...take him to the shelter yourself. If they keep him, you're probably in for a lot of problems

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will call the shelter. They are open from 10 AM to 2 PM, but they do not accept owner-turn-ins if they are full. They consider picking up a stray as an owner turn in. They have to leave space open in case the dog warden has to drop a dog. So you almost have to call the dog warden.

Our shelter is not government run, it is private and run by donations, though if the dog warden drops a dog there, the county will pay for that dog to board it for a number of days or weeks.

So it really is in the shelter's best interest to have the dog warden bring the dog in, and that is why they really aren't very accomodating to the general public doing this.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I would personally drive it to the shelter, lie if you have to, say it is chasing your nieces, you shouldn't have to be putting up with this crap, I love dogs as much as anyone, but I won't compromise the health and safety of my dogs for anyone.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Get a friend come by and say gleefully, "oh thank goodness!". Like they'd been looking for the dog. If neighbor's aren't watching, all the better. If the are, have friend tell them this dog has been missing for sometime.

Collect said dog and take it to a no kill shelter or give it away.

Might not be too hard to rehome a lab.

Happily ever after for all!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Honestly, I would call the dog warden. If it's running around your yard, it's probably running around someone else's too. Your neighbors can't know for sure.

If that's not an option, you could shoot the dog with rat shot or something similar when it enters your property. Something that won't cause lasting damage, but will get the idea across. That's what we had to do when the neighbors refused to keep their dogs contained. They have a yellow lab that tore our garbage apart for MONTHS. She was smart enough to know when she was out of rock-throwing range, too, but spraying her butt with rat shot sent her running, and she hasn't come back.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
What a coincidence: my DH just finished building me a cute little cedar rail fence all around our front yard for the exact same reason. The neighbors 2 doors down have an free-roaming Lab too. He can still get into our garbage and mark our vehicles, but at least we've put a stop to his using our yard to eliminate in.

I'm too old to start a war with any neighbors, and probably not perfect myself, so this is a happy compromise. Could you put up something like this?

What about calling a Lab rescue? Are there cameras outside the animal shelter? If not, you could tie him up out there. What about leaving him behind while visiting Petsmart? Ok, now I'm really reaching, lol.

Good luck getting rid of him. Hurry up and do it soon, or the neighbors might get attached to him and replace him with another dog once he's gone:eek:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Do you know anyone that runs a rescue or someone who wants a dog? I think the dog disappearing(in one piece) anonymously is the best way to go. Once the dog is gone, I would even go out of my way to ask them if they found a home for their dog since you haven't seen it. Hurting the dog is not an option here, its not the dogs fault and you have to much you can lose if they retaliate. Good Luck.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I feed them twice a day: in the morning and after I close up here, usually between 11:30 and 1:00AM. This is bad because my dogs are all saying "Me, me, me, feed me, feed me first, Hi, come over here!"

You feed your dogs at 1:00 in the morning? Are the neighbors upset because the barking dogs wake them up?

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Maybe they are. But they have parties where they shoot their gun off at 1:38 in the morning several times, and that makes a lot more noise than my dogs. Nevertheless, I will have to get in earlier and take care of the dogs so they do not bother the neighbors.

But I told them I would try to do better on that, and I have. I have been coming in much earlier and feeding them. My neighbor on the other side said they are not a problem every time I ask. And the old neighbors were always telling me they were fine.

The neighbor on the other side lost two pair of sandles out of her garage. She found 1.5 pairs with the dog in their yard. The other sandle is MIA. They did go down and talk to them. But it made no difference. Ten minutes ago, when I came here, the dog was standing in the middle of the road and I had to beep at it to get it to move.

It will not live long that way, being black and our road is a 55mph.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Bottom line, this is not their dog!

Are that taking it to the vet, giving it heartworm meds? I doubt it.

Not only that , they are not even monitoring it's activity.

I wouldn't/couldn't hurt the dog, but I sure could make sure it disappears to a responsible home.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Call the dog warden.... Protect your propert and your investments. I would put caution fence you know the orange plastic stuff with the cut outs. Temporally put a perimeter around puppy area. The dog can carry only God knows over there and expose the pups (I know you already know that). Are there leash laws? Does the dog have rabies tags? Those are violations.... I'm sorry your going through this. If it's not one thing it's some thing else... Sighhhh..... ;)

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
We have a situation somewhat like yours. We own a private dog park on 12 acres. There is no fencing around one section as there is a creek there and we can't fence near a creek. There are 2 dogs from a subdivision about a half mile away through the woods. These 2 dogs(an Old English Sheepdog and a Pitbull) have shown up in our park and scared the crap out of club members. About 2 weeks ago as I was leaving the fenced area and heading to my truck the 2 dogs came down the gravel parking area preventing me from leaving. The sheepdog let me catch him but of course there were no tags, the pit bull was doing that spooky bark and flight forward crap the pit bulls do. I ended up calling my husband to come down since I couldn't let my dogs out to get in our truck as I'd have to go past these dogs. Anyway, DH showed up with his gun (just in case) and ran them off.
We discussed it and decided it might be a good idea to get a paintball gun and load it with red paintballs. This way if we had to shoot the dogs it wouldn't be that damaging and the owners would see the red paint and hopefully make the connection that their dogs were out where someone could REALLY shoot them. We haven't done anything yet since we haven't seen the dogs in a few weeks, maybe the owners got complaints from their neighbors.
I think personally I would either catch the dog myself and take it in, or just do the deed and call the dog warden.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
I couldn't hurt the dog either if it was not presenting a true threat.

I could turn it in to protect my dogs, though.

Your neighbors are being jerks, unfortunately.

I'd turn it in in a way that wouldn't point at you. An anonymous call or email maybe. Then I wouldn't admit it was me.

I know people work hard to keep peace with neighbors, and that's wise, but my closest neighbor constantly let her dog poop in my yard. After me going to her repeatedly, (nice the first time, a little not happy the second time, and finally ticked off the third time,) I discovered some neighbors just are not going to make it easy to have a peaceful coexistence. Or don't want it or care about it. You can only extend the olive branch so far, or so many times.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I could shoot the dog. I am not sure I can shoot a dog. But if I shot it and buried it, then they would figure the dog trotted on home and there would be no hard feelings. Obviously, I do not want to do this.
All I can say is WOW. The fact that you even considered shooting the dog is appalling!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts