German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 8 month old GSD female, she is mostly a good puppy but i have a weird behavioral question.

In the last couple days she has started being weird about walking in the kitchen, the whole house has wood floors except the kitchen which is a laminate wood floor. She needs to go into the kitchen to eat and go to the back door to go outside, but when we first let her out of the crate in the morning and when we get home from work she stops and whines and doesnt want to walk on the floor. When we finally get her to go, she tries to go to quickly and she slips which just makes her more nervous. Once she comes back in from outside or the rest of the day she walks back and forth to her dishes or to the back door with no issues. Its just when we first let her out of her crate. This just started and im baffled.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
All our pups go thru weird stages and phases, stuff that was fine last week is suddenly a HUGE issue this week!

It's why it's SO important to introduce them to so many new experiences their first few years, inside the house like your floors.... and OUTSIDE the house when you go on the weekly/daily/carrides and socialization adventures.

How about feeding your pup it's breakfast by tossing the kibble all over the kitchen floor? So the pup has to walk on it and each and every step is worth it for the 'reward' of a kibble?

Our pups growth is something they have to physically and mentally deal with, as in the fact that it changes so fast! Now they can't fit under some things. Or thru narrow passages that were fine a month ago. And coordinating all FOUR of those constantly growing legs and feet has got to be a challenge, so adding a slippery floor....

GOOD LUCK! Do not make a big deal about this, but also help your pup work thru it. I know food always helps my dogs. And if their normal kibble isn't enough, pea sized pieces of cheese/chicken/liver/beef/turkey/ham....... :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I would try putting a leash on her for that first time. She is slipping (or has in the past) too much and is scaring her. Make her walk across the floor calmly to go out that first time. Also, Walmart has those cheep rag rugs you can get for about $2.00. I have several and dont care if they get ruined.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sounds like when she first comes out of her crate she is more excited and that makes the slick floor more slippier for her than when she is more relaxed coming in from outside.

At first my boy Ace did not want to walk on the kitchen floor because they were slippier for him. As your pup gets older she will adjust. :)

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I have the same floor and it can get slippery. I put a rug down for awhile and al was fine and then one day I just picked up the rug but my girls are older and have had knee surgeries and one had a hip surgery so I can understand their concern.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
All our pups go thru weird stages and phases, stuff that was fine last week is suddenly a HUGE issue this week!

It's why it's SO important to introduce them to so many new experiences their first few years, inside the house like your floors.... and OUTSIDE the house when you go on the weekly/daily/carrides and socialization adventures.

How about feeding your pup it's breakfast by tossing the kibble all over the kitchen floor? So the pup has to walk on it and each and every step is worth it for the 'reward' of a kibble?

Our pups growth is something they have to physically and mentally deal with, as in the fact that it changes so fast! Now they can't fit under some things. Or thru narrow passages that were fine a month ago. And coordinating all FOUR of those constantly growing legs and feet has got to be a challenge, so adding a slippery floor....

GOOD LUCK! Do not make a big deal about this, but also help your pup work thru it. I know food always helps my dogs. And if their normal kibble isn't enough, pea sized pieces of cheese/chicken/liver/beef/turkey/ham....... :)
I agree. I went through the same thing yesterday at Petsmart with Deuce. He didn't want to step off of the rug onto the shiney floor.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
It is weird that she only acts that way when she comes out of her crate in the morning but is fine afterwards.

I like the throwing kibble/treats on the floor idea that MRL suggested. How about a trail of treats from her crate to the door? Might get her mind off the slippery floor, and get her focused on something else. After a while, she may forget what it was that was about that floor that scared her so much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She isn't very food oriented, so I don't know if that will work. She is getting better, she is smart and will learn.

The best I can figure is that after being in the cage for a while her paws get dry and that makes the slick floor more slippery. After she goes outside her paws get some moisture and the slick floors become less slippery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts