German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! Glad to be here! I just picked up my 11 week GSD yesterday! I have two kids, 10 and 9 (in 2 weeks) we also have two cats (6 and 4) and 4 ferrets (6, 5, 2, 2)!! We have a small petting zoo I guess you could say!

I had a GSD for almost 9 years who recently passed due to a neurological disorder that caused him to loose his hind legs. He was the most magnificent dog EVER. We adopted him at 3-ish, and my daughter at the time was just about 2...we were at an adoption fair when she grabbed a dog biscuit, handed it to him without us looking, once we negligent parents saw what was happening, she was half way through reaching into a GIANT dogs mouth to pull out the biscuit...and he just held his mouth open and let her grab that biscuit back staring us us like we were crazy for yelling! Shortly thereafter when we were talking to the adoption lady (who was skeptical about our children) my son who was still wobbly on his feet, toddled over and PLOP fell right on Metro's belly...and again I expected him to snap, or at least jump up and send my son flying...but nope, he laid there patiently until my son had used this amazing dog as an aid standing up!

We snapped him up then and there making sure the adoption lady liked us best! I was in a fret waiting for the home visit (We had an apartment, but I worked full time for the military and had office space with a huge grass area, the plan was for him to be with me at work daily) terrified she wouldn't let us take him...and three days later "Bowser" was ours! First order of business...change the name! We named him Metro (after Metro division) and he was instantly family. He was gentle, protective (had a few suspicious characters chased away thanks to this dog!) playful, loving and I swear, almost human!

Unfortunately we had to help him over the bridge recently. Our majestic amazingly agile dog couldn't walk, his hind end would slip from behind him and he would drag himself, but still trying to make us happy. We were all with him when he passed, we all cried, and we still do cry when we think about him. I wanted the hole filled. I couldn't bear to come home another day and have no one waiting at the door for me---no puppy smiles, no tail wagging, no one asking for a walk, it was torture. I think my husband got tired of me crying myself to sleep and gave the go-ahead for a new puppy...and so Sabo walked into our lives.

After searching for what seemed like forever (and a lot of back and forth on my part--I wanted another shepherd, I didn't; I wanted one that looked like Metro, I wanted a white one so it wouldn't look like Metro).... I found the pup I wanted to see. My kids and I drove for 2 hours (really should have only been 30 min, but traffic was NASTY!!!) and finally got there...and out barreling through the door came the puppy I knew would be mine! Sabo!!! (If you haven't figured out, we have military/law enforcement names for our dogs) He's about 25lbs, 11 weeks old and a puppy puddle of goodness. Our first night went well (though the cats were MAD and the ferrets, well, they were scared) with only one accident (my fault entirely) and today has been good. He's still rather sleepy (I figure he's a little stressed, new home, new animals, no mama and no brother) but eating. He had fleas (found this out last night at 10pm) so this morning first thing we had that taken care of!

I am so excited to have found this forum! I can't wait to get to know you all!

Here are some pictures of my little guy, and my sweet old man, RIP my first GSD love!

Metro and Sabo side by side

Metro and Logan

Metro- Always on guard

Metro and I before work

New puppy- Sabo

More of Sabo with Karma the Ferret

Sabo and I relaxing after our drive home

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I am sorry for your loss of Metro :( Congratulations on your new pup Sabo and the beginnings of a new and different journey! Welcome Aboard!!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Welcome & congratulations on the new pup he's very cute. So Sorry to hear about the passing of your beloved dog metro...

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Welcome to the forum, can't wait to see Sabo as he grows.

Love the photos of Metro, such a handsome boy!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Metro was a beautiful dog. Sorry for your loss. Welcome to you and Sabo!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That is such a sweet story. Thank you for sharing, and welcome!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts