German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!! I'm new here!! My big boy Leo just turned 1 in September!! He's an outside dog. I let him in to play or I go outside and play with him!! I'm having a big issue with him and would like some advice. Leo has a bad habit of jumping up on people and vehicles. As you know he's huge! We have trouble going to and from the car because he jumps up on us. He will also jump up on the kids getting on/off the bus. They are 8&13. He doesn't mean any harm, but he scratches us when he jumps on us. And sometimes knocks the little one down. Any advice??

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome! Well he is still a puppy and this behavior is normal. However if you'd like to stop it I think you should find a professional trainer. Or you could train him yourself - there are some great videos and references out there. But keep in mind that it's a daily work and consistence is key. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I don't want to be a killjoy nor do I want to make you feel bad, but with your other thread, the connection of why your boy is jumping on people and cars and the fun that is created for him becomes clear.

I think that without realizing it, and connecting the two, you are reinforcing the problem. Yes, sometimes it is funny when they do this (the steeling of things in the car, etc) but, the difference between a problem and not a problem is when the owner commands the dog to stop or drop it. My guy will grab something and run, if we are playing, I will chase him for a moment but when I stop and call him to me, he comes. As was said, a puppy needs to learn first the basic foundation rules/manners that are expected so that he grows to become a well mannered adult. Since the foundation is lacking and he is well on his way to adulthood (he is not a puppy now, but a teen so this jumping should no longer be considered normal or expected) you really need to step back and not allow him to play these chase games, stop the steeling, and step in when the children start to chase him.

Your boy is obviously well loved and he looks like an amazing buddy but his size and lack of training can get him into serious trouble if he jumps and hurts someone. Seek out a good trainer, and get serious about the rules you want him to obey.

Reactions: Malibu

·
Super Moderator
7,705 Posts
Your dog is engaging in normal and fun (for him) puppy behavior.He needs to learn - drop it,leave it,bring it,and to always sit to be petted.There are lots of videos out there to help you train your dog kindly and effectively.Or take a class with him geared toward older pups.
My dogs love to run,chase,steal,jump also but are conditioned to follow some rules and commands during play and exciting events like arriving home.We all have fun and nobody gets hurt:)

·
Super Moderator
32,714 Posts
This is the reason many people don't like the idea of family dogs living outside - they tend to get much less interaction and less training than a dog that lives inside. It's very difficult to teach a dog how to behave appropriately in the house when they don't spend much time there. It's very exciting when they do get to come inside, so it's hard for them to calm down and settle. Obviously he needs training, on a regular basis. But that will only go so far if he spends most of his time isolated outdoors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts