German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! I am new to this forum, but not new to dogs or GSD! I presently have 10 dogs (yes, 10!), but do not now have a GSD. I will be assisting my son to find a good GSD soon, when he is discharged from the military. Several years ago, we had a wonderful GSD that I used in a Search & Rescue group. It was fun, although we did not get far into the process, because we moved out of state. The GSD we had was a fantastic dog that was very plush, had nice hindquarters that were strong & not horribly angulated , he had the sweetest disposition, & he was 110 pounds (not overweight). His breeder was in Hershey PA & I cannot find her anymore - she stoppedbreeding shortly after we got our dog & I believe she married & moved. Her goal was to produce healthy sweet GSD. She knew that these beautiful happy dogs would not win in a typical AKC showring, but her dogs were the BEST! The terribly angulated dogs you see slouching around the ring are grotesque in her opinion, & I agree. Now more recently, I have come to rea;lize that my AKC GSD is the epitome of the Shiloh Shepherd I have been reading about. Is this blasphemy in the GSD forum world? haha I am very interested in learning more about nicely bred GSD, as well as a discussion of the Shiloh nShepherd if possible. Truthfully, my vet loved my GSD, & said that he was one of only a couple of GSD that did not have to be muzzled when being examined! I am glad to be here, & am anxious to learn! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
:welcome:

If you do a board search there are a lot of discussions about GSD/Shiloh/and "king" shepherds. New discussions are welcomed but you may want to check those out first to see if they answer any questions you might have.

Not all showline dogs have the extreme angulation you are talking about.

There are 2 types of showline dogs. American and West German
There are 3 types of working line dogs. West German, DDR/East German, and Czech

Then there are mixes of those lines and lines so mixed up they are known as "pet" or "BYB" lines

Do you know what type of GSD your son is interested in? Will he be working the dog or will it primarily be a pet?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Welcome to the site! If you go up to your User CP and put your GENERAL home location, you may get more specific information as time goes on (it will show up like my Poconos stuff)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I am glad to have found this site to learn. My son will be looking for a well-bred family pet, since he has a baby daughter. He may or may not be moving to the Ohio area.

·
Registered
44 Posts
welcome,i myself have 14 dogs,always good to find another animal "enthusiast" like myself. like people are saying,what traits do you really want and do some research on the different lines..good luck to you and your brood

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hello All! I am new to this forum, but not new to dogs or GSD! I presently have 10 dogs (yes, 10!), but do not now have a GSD. I will be assisting my son to find a good GSD soon, when he is discharged from the military.
Make sure he has a back-up plan for who will care for the dog in the event he is called back to service for deployment.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good Morning All! Thanks for the welcome to the forum! Our first GSD was such a treasure that I think he must have been a fluke of nature! haha Anyway, my son has a toddler daughter, as I said, so he will definitely be looking for a low prey drive soft temperament dog. I see that I really need to research the different lines & so forth, but where to start? Are there some good explanations of the different breeding lines, American versus German etc on the forum? My husband & I would take the dog if he were to be called back up for military deployment, of course (God forbid - 1 tour in Iraq was...devastating, to say the least). And, yes, we do have 10 dogs! It has not been an issue for us, really, until our 3 elderly pugs have become more frail. We keep the pugs separated from the others when we are not in the house. They use a pee pad, while the others can use the dog door. I know it is a natural way of nature, but it is heartbreaking to see how the others will swoop in on the pugs if they exhibit any weakness!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Good Morning All! Thanks for the welcome to the forum! Our first GSD was such a treasure that I think he must have been a fluke of nature! haha Anyway, my son has a toddler daughter, as I said, so he will definitely be looking for a low prey drive soft temperament dog. I see that I really need to research the different lines & so forth, but where to start? Are there some good explanations of the different breeding lines, American versus German etc on the forum? My husband & I would take the dog if he were to be called back up for military deployment, of course (God forbid - 1 tour in Iraq was...devastating, to say the least). And, yes, we do have 10 dogs! It has not been an issue for us, really, until our 3 elderly pugs have become more frail. We keep the pugs separated from the others when we are not in the house. They use a pee pad, while the others can use the dog door. I know it is a natural way of nature, but it is heartbreaking to see how the others will swoop in on the pugs if they exhibit any weakness!
Would your son be willing to rescue? He could have the benefit of already knowing the temperament and if the dog is good with kids. Skip that puppy phase and the biting :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts