German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I knew it was coming. I’ve let him loose at a closed in and empty playground, and he just wanted to climb EVERYTHING. Which is why I took him, let him get his energy out. The weather is still too hot to bring out the agility items. Looks like I’ll have to anyway.

For reference, the wall is 6ft, the thing he’s on is our chicken coop. Which will be coming down today. Sigh. He just launched and climbed the outside wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
My little one was scaling to the top of a 42" crate to reach dog treats on top.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My little one was scaling to the top of a 42" crate to reach dog treats on top.
It’s going to be a fun ride, huh? Lol. I’m hoping his lack of grace will be lost with age though. He’s so clumsy! He will roll over on the couch and just smack onto the floor. I seem to get the beauty before brains rescues ?. I’m hoping some of Crios’s grace rubs off on him, Crios is beautiful to watch move. I’ll have to make DH take some videos when we get the course back up! Coop is down, just have to haul off all the wood and look for any screws or nails we may have dropped.

·
Registered
711 Posts
oh, 6 feet is nothing for a fairly athletic dog. How do I know? When I first brought home my last female gsd she decided

to scale my 6 ft. privacy fence TWICE to go on the run. And she wasn't especially athletic. I'd say it may take an 8 ft. fence to keep your mal inside. Good Luck!!!

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, 6 feet is nothing for a fairly athletic dog. How do I know? When I first brought home my last female gsd she decided

to scale my 6 ft. privacy fence TWICE to go on the run. And she wasn't especially athletic. I'd say it may take an 8 ft. fence to keep your mal inside. Good Luck!!!
That’s the only side that’s 6ft. The rest are 8ft. The one he was on was the 6ft that is shared with the neighbor. They don’t have dogs, and he can’t get out of their yard. We are having it built up in November, and the neighbors said it was fine for us to open their gate to get him back if taking down the coop doesn’t stop him. Crios has always been able to scale it, he just won’t unless he gets left in the yard by himself.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Thats funny and a bit scary at the same time. none of mine will jump our 6' fence, however in the forest they will often go over rocks and deadfall that high. My previous two, (a lab and malamute) sailed over the fence. My least athletic dog is not much for jumping, but was a pretty confident ladder climber. My wife put a stop to that after her boy tried it and got his leg caught going down.

Eta, glad you were able to keep Floki, he seems like a great dog.

·
Registered
712 Posts
He is so handsome, and you caught him in perfect lighting. I’m doing agility classes with Rio and it is so much fun and he loves it.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m letting them swim now. Get some of his energy out. DH is out with the guys, and getting him down was probably not so safe, so I don’t wanna risk it again.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I messed up big time letting him stay up there while I took pictures. He thinks it’s totally okay now. I try to cut him off when I see him eyeing the wall, but I don’t always stop him in time. It’s his new favorite thing to do. At least with the coop, I could open one of the “windows” and he would crawl down that way, but with that gone, I’m having to physically take him down so he doesn’t jump 6ft down and land wrong, and ruin his joints in the process. For now I’m letting them all on the pool side, but that means Floki and Crios are wet 24/7 again.

DH is going to pull out all the agility stuff today when he wakes up, which is normally around noon when I’m beat and ready for a nap, so this should be fun. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts