German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was passed yesterday. All dogs/cats spayed/neutered with few exceptions.

Max is three and we plan on neutering at the end of the year so if we lived in Dallas, we would be breaking the law.

Provisions

•Establish a charge of $70 per animal for breeders to obtain permits. Previously, the city planned to charge $500 per animal.

•Limit a single house to six cats and/or dogs. People owning more than a half-acre of land would be allowed eight – something not contained in earlier versions of the proposal. People who currently own a greater number of animals could apply to the city to be allowed to keep their animals without penalty.

•Require that dogs and cats be spayed or neutered. But the ordinance would provide numerous exceptions. Animals younger than 6 months old, service animals, or those belonging to a licensed breeder would be exempt from spaying or neutering regulations. A veterinarian could also certify that an animal shouldn't be spayed or neutered for health reasons.

•Prohibit using animals as prizes.

•Allow the city to seize and impound a dog suspected of causing bodily injury to a person until after a hearing on the dog's fate. Now, such dogs are quarantined for 10 days and then returned to their owners in many cases.

•Prohibit tethering of unsupervised dogs to trees or poles except "for a period no longer than necessary for the owner to complete a temporary task."

•Force owners to provide at least 150 square feet of space and a "building or properly designed doghouse" for a dog confined outdoors.

Here's the DallasCityCouncil story

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/...l.39363bef.html

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Well hopefully that doesn't extend to Fort Worth.

I don't agree with it. I mean the cause is good and I support them trying to get a handle on the pet overpopulation problem, but I just don't feel this is the way to do it. *shrug*

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm originally from the Dallas/Fort Worth area...I'm sort of "OK" with most of the rules...though I don't want to get Jackson spayed until he is at least a year old...that would be the only sticking point for me.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think it sounds great. All you need is a vet that will say its unhealthy to neuter before 1 yr. I believe in spay and neuter so it doesn't bother me. I did have one working dog that was not neutered at 4yrs. I would if I were to do it over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts