German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am helping our dept. look for our next k9. They are wanting a drug detection dog and hopefully I can talk them into tracking as well. My question is does any one know of any great police k9 kennels...I was looking at storm dog training website and I have heard great reviews on them. Please Help!!!!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Honestly, no real idea on this, but have you tried contacting local departments with k9 units to see where their dogs came from?

·
Registered
766 Posts
obviously you can find one of the main line breeders domestically and internationally that specialize in service dogs. but like ^^ said contact other departments locally to see where they got theirs

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
any ideas on where to find a great healthy police dog for my dept
Are you looking to find a fully trained dog? IF so, what type of training? Apprehension, trailing, drug finding, etc.?

Do you want a young dog that is partially trained and your department will pay to send it to finish the training?

Are you thinking of getting a 100% UNtrained dog and train it yourself?

BIG differences in where you will go to find a dog depending on what you are looking for?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depends where you're located. In NJ we have a handful of K9 trainers that also breed. You won't be able to purchase just any GSD. You need a dog bred specifically with working lines. I would locate a local K9 or Schutzhund trainer and tell them what you are looking for. They may be able to sell you a fully trained dog, or if you choose to use them to train your K9, they may be able to help you select your puppy. If you are unable to find a trainer on your own, contact other state police departments with K9 units and request the information for their trainer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27,250 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Ok, I am confused - You work at a vet so you are just helping the police?

Why not have them contact other police departments with K9 units and network with them for where they get their dogs. I am sure police to police is going to get them better results.

I know NAPWDA, IPWDA, USPCA have contact lists if they don't know anybody working dogs. You never mentioned where you are other than "USA" - . I think often they either work with a broker, have a local person, or import directly.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I merged the two threads you started - better to just start one and keep all the answers in one place.

This is a breeder/trainer that I would recommend, honest, ethical, loads and loads of experience:

POLICE DOGS

·
Registered
283 Posts
There are a lot of great sources for dogs, both large and small. Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples when comparing sources.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts