German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Little puppies love plastic bottles and milk jugs to bite on and chase around! When my puppy was little almost all of the recycling materials spent some time being chews on before actually being recycled. Our floor was littered with stuff, so whenever the puppy started biting one was within close reach. That being said I also always kept a paper towel or two in my pockets to stop up the blood from when we were playing!

Congratulations on the new puppy, and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: car2ner

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Just like Tim said, my pups chewed up rinsed plastic bottles and tore apart boxes. Biting and mouthing is how they explore their world, especially while they are teething! Tugs are wonderful but you can't just give it to your pup and expect them to be happy. You have to play with them, make the toy alive like prey. Let the little guy win and celebrate their victory. They'll keep bringing the toy back to you, which is what you want. Later, playing tug can become a reward for good behavior!

·
Registered
297 Posts
that's interesting you guys allowed your pups to bite and chew off plastic.
i actually did ONCE when my dog was little, gave him an empty arrowhead water bottle, after a while i noticed my dog had went ahead and opened the cap, so i immediately took that away, and later noticed him trying to chew off the head.
i thought i didn't want to risk having my dog cut up her lips and gums, let alone risk ingesting sharp plastic parts, so i never did.

for chewing, teetching, i froze about 10 wet towels and gave him that.
he would go through 1 wet towel PER 15 to 30 minutes, and later lose interest since they get warm again.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
that's interesting you guys allowed your pups to bite and chew off plastic.
i actually did ONCE when my dog was little, gave him an empty arrowhead water bottle, after a while i noticed my dog had went ahead and opened the cap, so i immediately took that away, and later noticed him trying to chew off the head.
i thought i didn't want to risk having my dog cut up her lips and gums, let alone risk ingesting sharp plastic parts, so i never did.

for chewing, teetching, i froze about 10 wet towels and gave him that.
he would go through 1 wet towel PER 15 to 30 minutes, and later lose interest since they get warm again.
Bite and chew on a bit, but not shred or eat! When I first gave my then puppy a rinsed out plastic milk jug, she surgically removed the little plastic ring that remains on the jug when you first open the top! Lesson learned, from then on I removed that little piece before giving it to her! I also kept an eye on her and removed any that looked like they might be chewed on enough to be shedding pieces of plastic. The really great thing about using recyclables though is that (a) puppies seem to really like that plastic crinkle noise, and (b) we all have a renewable and free source of new toys for them >:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts