German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I just got signEd up I thought I should say hi before I get to into the group.
I’m a also spent a lot of time with enforcement dogs I’m a long time GSD lover but I like most dogs. I’ve trained a pup to Sch 3 with AKC TD he eventually became a certified K9 patrol dog . I couldn’t even ride along as a civilian but he did go on patrol numerous times with several different handlers.
I currently have an Aussie rescue. From stock dog breeding. About 1/2 scale size, faster quicker and more agile than most think. Very quick learner. I wish I had more mobility so I could train her better. I’ve been struck by old age sooner than my mind was ready. . She is almost a service dog but needs a few adjustments. we are working on things together.
her name is SAMANTHA Sam For call name. She is blue merle more like a gray GSD. BROWN ALMOND EYES. I WAS ASKED TO LIST KNOWN COMMANDS. ITS ABOUT A HUNDRED. SOME ARE MULTI WORD .comon let’s go. Let’s get hooked up. And more.

the one that eludes me is the go out. I simply can’t run at all so I can’t even get her started.

i could use help hrere . Anyway new member. I hope I can contribute something along the way.
Byron

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Hi and welcome aboard! I bet you have a lot of knowledge that can and will help others, given your background!

I'm certainly no expert at anything, but I am old and don't run anywhere anymore either!

There are some good send out videos on YouTube that show how some people go about training it, but I don't have helpers or the time and energy to walk all the way out and place a ball or tug or whatever before each send out! (Watch one or two and you'll see what I'm talking about!).

So I used the lazy method. Which, being lazy and old, I devised myself.

Point where I'm going to throw a ball and say GO. Dog runs out and the ball drops somewhere in front of her. When she brings it back, I point again, changing direction often.

Understand that I am not training for any competition here. But over time I've been able to get the dog to go out quickly, at least to the range she is expecting to see a ball. Just by pointing and saying go. Lately we've been working on downs at that distance, then I'll release and throw the ball.

Not sure if that's what you're after, but it is what I did. And it does seem to have worked well in that the dog runs very fast out wherever I point and say go!

Anyway, hope you find that helpful, and again, welcome to the forum!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts