German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I am new to the forum, but not new to dogs. I mentioned in another posting that my first GSD was AKC registered & from a show breeder. Her GSD were the most friendly GSD I had ever met. Compare those with another breeder who handed us out individual pups over the fence to look at & didn't allow us within the fence, or show us the parents!:eek: Anyway, our boy very mild-natured, was longer coated, & his back was much straighter without that horrible crippling angulation I have seen at the dogs shows. When looking for a new Shepherd, what type of dog does it sound like I need to look into? A German bred working line? A milder prey-drive dog is needed, because he/she will be a pet for our family with grandchildren coming & going. Pet Therapy is something I have done with my smaller dogs, & this is another reason to look for the kind of dog I have described. Any suggestions would be SO appreciated!!!:help:

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
You might have answered this question before, but is your dog's breeder still breeding? If you got a dog you loved, the best way to get another one like him is to go back to the source. If he/she is no longer breeding you could look into finding one from the same lines.

Just wanted to point out that angulation isn't crippling, neither does it cause or indicate hip problems. I don't like the way it looks any more than you do, but it's not "horrible crippling angulation."

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It most certainly can be crippling angulation because it's so hard on the soft tissue of the joints in the lower leg. These dogs are unable to jump or do any sort of extended exercise as they can and do break down.

I would suggest either getting an adult or older puppy from a rescue so you know what you are getting temperament and structure wise or go to a good breeder of workingline dogs and be very specific in what you are looking for in a pup, what you want to do with it, and how much time you will realistically have for training and exercise.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Or you could go to a good US showline breeder (and there are a LOT of them) and describe the kind of pup you want and what you will be doing with him/her and get an excellent puppy. A lot depends on which breeder you go to. A rescue would be an excellent choice also if you want a dog older than a small puppy.

Many breeders will sometimes have a slightly older pup who was a good show prospect but didn't quite turn into super show dog but would make a fantastic pet. And they often are looking for a good home for these pups and sometimes they may even have started training them - so look around and see what is available.

BTW, high prey drive is not a bad thing - it is the drive that helps determine how the dog plays also - doesn't mean that the dog will chase little animals as it sounds.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Welcome to the site!

If you just keep wandering around you'll see there is alot of information about the different flavors of GSD's. Go down to the breeder section and look at what to look for in a responsible breeder.

The more you know when you talk to a good breeder, the more likely they are to consider you for one of their dogs....

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might have answered this question before, but is your dog's breeder still breeding? If you got a dog you loved, the best way to get another one like him is to go back to the source. If he/she is no longer breeding you could look into finding one from the same lines.

Just wanted to point out that angulation isn't crippling, neither does it cause or indicate hip problems. I don't like the way it looks any more than you do, but it's not "horrible crippling angulation."
Unfortunately, my original GSD breeder is no longer breeding & has married & moved from where she was. Our GSD has passed away & I do not have the original paperwork. About the angulation - I wasn't aware that this didn't contribute to hip issues. It sure looks crippling - I am glad to learn the dogs are not in pain or at risk for hip problems.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's input! I have been reading alot on this forum, & will definitely continue reading the different breeders' website info. I like to be a very well-informed buyer when bringing a new family member home!:)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
My personal preference is for experienced breeders of companion lines. My backup preference would be for working lines, but ONLY those whose dogs are proven to excel as family companions with an established history for being amenable (ie readily trained), excellent with people & other dogs & beyond excellent with children, including infants, toddlers & butt headed adolescents. Whether from working or companion lines, I like to see that the dogs can work as assistance or therapy dogs, b/c those jobs demand the intelligence, judgment & temperament I want in my dogs.

Look around. See what people like & WHY they like it. Above all, after developing a good base of knowledge, & analyzing exactly what you want & need, trust your judgment in coming to *your* decision. IF I yielded to others' opinions, I wouldn't have either Sam or Djibouti, & that would just be tragic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts