German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am thinking about getting a German Shepherd puppy as I have always wanted one. I have read alot about them the past few days but I have gotten mixed answers on what to look for in a good puppy.Maybe you guys could help me out as to what to look for in finding a good puppy? With that said I am not looking to show the dog in any kind of contests, I would like some nice color, I like the golden black ones(not sure what the name of it is) but more gold than black. Also I live in colorado and have been looking for breeders, only a few have turned up in my search efforts. If any of you could help me out with anything like advice or anything I should know I would greatly appreciate it! thanks!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
well as far as looking, you've come to the right place with your questions! There are many different lines for GSDs and thats probably one of the trickier parts to figuring it all out. What are you plans for the dog? Active pet home? Would you like to possibly be involved in agility? search and rescue? any number of things really. What do YOU have that YOU can offer a GSD? GSDs give SOOOOO much to us thats its only fair of us to ask what we can give them. There is a great deal to learn about on your end and its great your asking questions.

How much would YOU think was acceptable to spend on a well bred GSD? Are you willing to have the dog shipped to you if needed? Are you willing to travel a distance to meet with a breeder? I know i'm forgetting a great deal but others will chime in.

If you dont mind my asking, what part of Colorado?

Also, here's something you may want to check out. It could help you narrow things down.
(Types of German Shepherds, by Wildhaus Kennels )

Breed Types & Related Families

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just like Kzoppa said above, its very important to decide what you want out of your german shepherd before you can start looking. Once you have decided on what you plan to do with your new dog it can help narrow down the search. You dont want to buy a puppy for a walking partner and end up with a high drive working dog....What experience do you have with owning a dog? How much time do you have to spend with your dog a day, a week? What made you decide on a GSD? They are the most amazing breed and you will fall head over heels for them. Hopefully we can help you find the best puppy for you and your lifestyle :)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
while color isn't the most important trait in a good German Shepherd, there is probably a breeding out there that would fit your first choice - if you are willing to spend the $$

Good breeders spend a lot on their dogs. Acquisition, medical, research, titling and/or showing.

Better to spend more on a pup and have best chance at a healthy dog (though problems can crop up in all lines and with the best of breeders).

This is a costly breed to maintain - just so you're prepared. You need a stash for future medical in addition to initial cost.

Here is a site that gives a bit of info on different lines. http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard/13_Breed_Type/Breed_Types.html

Take a look and tell us more about your expectations.

Oh, and I'd plan on $1200 minimum up to $3500 for a quality pup.

Don't be afraid to call breeders and ask questions.. look for a breeder who has questions for you too. There is no such thing as a bargain pup and many good breeders are sold out in advance, so you may have to go on a waiting list.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be able to offer the attention the dog needs and will also be able to provide an awesome home for him! I'm not looking to have the dog do any kind of work, I'd just like a friendly house companion to hang out with me and go places outdoors with me too. It would be cool to teach him a few tricks also. I'm willing to spend 1200 on a healthy puppy I just don't think I need one thats like 2500 or more. KZoppa I live in westminster and I am willing to drive a distance to pick up the dog rather than get one shipped. I'm not really in a hurry to get a GSD, i'd just like to learn as much as I can about them before I get one for myself. Thanks for all the info I appreciate it!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I will be able to offer the attention the dog needs and will also be able to provide an awesome home for him! I'm not looking to have the dog do any kind of work, I'd just like a friendly house companion to hang out with me and go places outdoors with me too. It would be cool to teach him a few tricks also. I'm willing to spend 1200 on a healthy puppy I just don't think I need one thats like 2500 or more. KZoppa I live in westminster and I am willing to drive a distance to pick up the dog rather than get one shipped. I'm not really in a hurry to get a GSD, i'd just like to learn as much as I can about them before I get one for myself. Thanks for all the info I appreciate it!
Haven't seen this puppy in person, what do you guys think about him though?

Arek - German Shepherd puppy for sale

There are a few books you can buy pretty much any pet store/online about GSDs. I know i've learned a good deal from them and this site. I'm originally from C. Springs. actually just got back from visiting colorado yesterday lol. Given you're looking for a house companion, i would suggest possibly looking at rescues. They know the dogs personality that way and can better match you with a dog that would suit you and you would suit the dog. There's a few rescues in Colorado that could help you out easily enough.

As far as anything from NextDayPets.com they're cute but i personally wouldnt go through them at all. You never know exactly what you're getting through that site and most of the time, you're dealing with BYBs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
What about rescue? Is this an option for you? There are MANY gorgeous pure bred german shepherds in need of a home everyday.... I know there are a few German Shepherd exclusive rescues in Colorado...

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
First run away from next day pets they advertise puppy mill dogs and no good breeder I know of would ever post a dog on there for sale. Don't think anyone here is snooty for suggesting good breeders and spending $1500 on a dog. GSD's are known for a slue of health problems and temperament issues when bought from a BYB or puppy mill so even though show and other competitions aren't your thing you still want to get a well bred dog just for the health benefits and temperament believe me:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about rescue? Is this an option for you? There are MANY gorgeous pure bred german shepherds in need of a home everyday.... I know there are a few German Shepherd exclusive rescues in Colorado...

Well to be honest I would like a puppy that I can train from day one and I would like to watch it grow.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Well to be honest I would like a puppy that I can train from day one and I would like to watch it grow.

thats nothing to be ashamed of. find a breeder (or two) that breed lines you could handle and talk to them. A good breeder will interview you as well as you interview them. keep in mind our favorite term.... Land Shark. also keep in mind rescues will occassionally have puppies. couldnt hurt to check it out. Never know what kind of gem you'll find. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I agree about any site that lists many pups from different "breeders" = puppy millers.
Good luck in your search, take your time and don't be afraid to read, read, read all the puppy threads and choosing a breeder threads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are a few books you can buy pretty much any pet store/online about GSDs. I know i've learned a good deal from them and this site. I'm originally from C. Springs. actually just got back from visiting colorado yesterday lol. Given you're looking for a house companion, i would suggest possibly looking at rescues. They know the dogs personality that way and can better match you with a dog that would suit you and you would suit the dog. There's a few rescues in Colorado that could help you out easily enough.

As far as anything from NextDayPets.com they're cute but i personally wouldnt go through them at all. You never know exactly what you're getting through that site and most of the time, you're dealing with BYBs.
Do you have any suggestions on where I could find a good breeder here or where I could look? I've looked on google but didn't really find anything

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I have been reading through the choose a breeder section and saw that there have been ppl that have bough BYB and have not had any problems with it. I see this is not recommended but ppl still do it. I'm not at all saying that I would do this but whether it be a $200-2500 puppy, how could I make sure that I would be safe? by asking to see the papers of the parents to make sure they don't have a history of problems? by observing the conditions in which the puppies were raised? can someone tell me how I will most likely not go wrong in getting a puppy? like I posted the nextdaypets link a few posts back, what if I was to go and see the conditions of where the puppy was raised and other things of that matter? would you guys still recommend I go with a reputable breeder? I guess i'm confusing myself lol

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You sound like your in a hurry to find a dog- take your time. If you do a breeder search on here you'll find many breeders and people's opinions on them. I'm not familiar with any Colorado breeders and still don't know if your open to shipping, how much exercise your willing to give a dog per day, or what kind of dog you want other than the color. If your more specific on what you want you should get some good feedback:)

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Keep reading threads, don't forget the health section...many dogs have many health issues and the BYB's are not doing the proper health testing before breeding so the odds of their pups having issues is very high. You may only pay $300 for a pup, but the vetting can be $3000 or more when you are trying to fix what a "breeder" has produced.
The genetics are just one thing, but the BYB's practices can be another. Are they feeding a good nutritious diet to the mother and pups, are they doing the proper puppy raising that is so important for nurturing and development, are they keeping the pups clean so they won't get into the habit of eating poop, are they, on and on.... And then you look at temperament. Is the BYB breeding sound nerved dogs or just two that look halfway decent? I would start saving some $ and keep researching, if you have to wait a year, no biggie because that pup you get will hopefully be living with your for at least ten more.
Supporting a good responsible breeder is worth the wait and money,
and not supporting a breeder that takes shortcuts to make a buck is the responsible thing to do as a compassionate dog lover.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Ok so I have been reading through the choose a breeder section and saw that there have been ppl that have bough BYB and have not had any problems with it. I see this is not recommended but ppl still do it. I'm not at all saying that I would do this but whether it be a $200-2500 puppy, how could I make sure that I would be safe? by asking to see the papers of the parents to make sure they don't have a history of problems? by observing the conditions in which the puppies were raised? can someone tell me how I will most likely not go wrong in getting a puppy? like I posted the nextdaypets link a few posts back, what if I was to go and see the conditions of where the puppy was raised and other things of that matter? would you guys still recommend I go with a reputable breeder? I guess i'm confusing myself lol

I can not really say a whole lot. I've either adopted my dogs or done what people would say is buying from a BYB. Shasta was from an accidental litter. You can see the conditions and go any route you choose (BYB, reputable breeder, rescue). BYB you can get lucky and get the one who has no health problems. but you could also get the one who in all honesty is worth more in vet bills than anything else. I have a couple breeders i would happily go to based on my preferences. I didnt know a whole lot about reputable breeders and all the possible health problems with GSDs and not going to a rep. breeder until i joined this forum. Its a great deal to process. Really all you can do is go with your gut. Definitely seeing the conditions is a good idea along with asking to see any health testing certs and such.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
You sound like your in a hurry to find a dog- take your time. If you do a breeder search on here you'll find many breeders and people's opinions on them. I'm not familiar with any Colorado breeders and still don't know if your open to shipping, how much exercise your willing to give a dog per day, or what kind of dog you want other than the color. If your more specific on what you want you should get some good feedback:)
Keep reading threads, don't forget the health section...many dogs have many health issues and the BYB's are not doing the proper health testing before breeding so the odds of their pups having issues is very high. You may only pay $300 for a pup, but the vetting can be $3000 or more when you are trying to fix what a "breeder" has produced.
The genetics are just one thing, but the BYB's practices can be another. Are they feeding a good nutritious diet to the mother and pups, are they doing the proper puppy raising that is so important for nurturing and development, are they keeping the pups clean so they won't get into the habit of eating poop, are they, on and on.... And then you look at temperament. Is the BYB breeding sound nerved dogs or just two that look halfway decent? I would start saving some $ and keep researching, if you have to wait a year, no biggie because that pup you get will hopefully be living with your for at least ten more.
Supporting a good responsible breeder is worth the wait and money,
and not supporting a breeder that takes shortcuts to make a buck is the responsible thing to do as a compassionate dog lover.

what they said. They know what they're talking about in regards to reputable breeders. I've learned a great deal from both.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah this is going to be tougher than I thought! I'll read up and when it is time to go talk to breeders I will know what to ask and what to look for and hopefully I will make the right choice!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts