German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member to this forum. It looks like a really great resource! Anyways, I have finally decided to get a German Shepherd. I think I want a female puppy that is brown and black in color. I live in Massachusetts and would like to find one in the state or in a state nearby. I really don't want to spend too much money. My question is how do I go about finding one?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
GSD's are not the easiest dogs. I know I love mine but was shocked how much training and socialization the breed needs to be a wonderful pet.

Dog Owner's Guide Profile : The German Shepherd

10 Reasons You Do NOT Want a German Shepherd Dog

German Shepherd Dog Shopper's Guide

Then figuring out the particular 'flavor' of GSD I prefer. American showlines, East German, West German showline, West German working line, Chek, herding lines, Schutzund, white, panda, ????????????

Breed Types & Related Families

STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES

Then there's finding a 'responsible' breeder!

Dog Play: Making a Difference: Being a Responsible Dog Breeder

What is a Breeder

That said, we love our dogs, just know how much 'work' it is to get the best dogs from the best people! Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GSD's are not the easiest dogs. I know I love mine but was shocked how much training and socialization the breed needs to be a wonderful pet.

Then figuring out the particular 'flavor' of GSD I prefer. American showlines, East German, West German showline, West German working line, Chek, herding lines, Schutzund, white, panda, ????????????

STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES

What is a Breeder

That said, we love our dogs, just know how much 'work' it is to get the best dogs from the best people! Good luck!
This will be my first dog but my dad has had three or four throughout his life. How much should I expect to pay from a breeder (any particular ones you recommend)? How can I find some relatively local ones?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The price of a puppy can vary greatly. If they're from a backyard breeder, you could spend as little as $200, maybe less. From a reputable breeder, however, you can pay as much as $3,000. IMO, what you pay in the beginning saves you in vet bills later. Please don't support BYBs!

I know it's hard to spend about $1,500 (I believe that's the norm) on a puppy, but with parents that have been health and temperament testing, you really do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I hope you find what you are looking for....Although i do agree on not buying from bad breeders, there is nothing wrong with purchasing a pup for 200.00-.
I paid 250.00 for ryder
300.00 for ace
and i just paid 150.00 for sophie...
I placed ace cause he needed more activity than what i could provide, not one of these dogs had any issues, at all. They are all pets and not for breeding, so may not be exact ideal standard, but all that matters to me, is they are healthy and fit into my family....I am sorry but when i was breeding dachshunds, i paid $600.00 for a male, that everything was wonderful on and still had to place him, because he was 16 plus pounds and we bred minis, i ended up selling him for like 200.00, that didn't even cover the cost of his vet bills. So i guess it just depends on what you are looking for.
Good luck in your search

·
Registered
249 Posts
Stay away from petstores. Don't rush into anything, do your homework and look for a good puppy. There are rescues in almost every state and you might find something there. Ask around if you see other owners that have a GSD ask where they got their dog. Just don't rush things.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts

STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES

What is a Breeder

:thumbup:

if you aren't looking to spend a lot then look into a gsd rescue or shelter

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
VortecZ71

i don't know what spending much is to you. if you don't want to spend much because you don't have much you might
want to delay buying a puppy. you have the price of the pup
and all of that 1st year stuff, food, Vet care, shots, puppy
class, formal training, day care, dog sitter, preminum food, toys,
crate, etc.

if you can't afford a nice pup from a reputable breeder
wait untill you can. my GF and I put $50.00 to $100.00 a week
away untill we could afford to buy a nice pup. we could afford
to take great care of the pup once we brought him home.

now the question is can you afford a dog for the
long run???

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
do these dogs have any kind of screening? are the parents
titled or screened for anything? are these dogs from
a breeder? any guarantees? reputable breeder?

I hope you find what you are looking for....Although i do agree on not buying from bad breeders, there is nothing wrong with purchasing a pup for 200.00-.
I paid 250.00 for ryder
300.00 for ace
and i just paid 150.00 for sophie..
Good luck in your search

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
This will be my first dog but my dad has had three or four throughout his life. How much should I expect to pay from a breeder (any particular ones you recommend)? How can I find some relatively local ones?
At this point I don't think of the $$$$ as what I'm paying for a puppy at all. Cause no matter if you have the best breeder in the world, doing the best job in the world, there is still a bit of a crap shoot with the genetics going on. So, for me, the $$$ is for the breeders program. What are their goals? Back ground? Experience? Knowledge? How have past litters worked out and what improvement changes are the results? OFA for hips, elbows, other genetic factors in past litters, keeping TRACK of all the past puppies from past litters, puppy paperwork/warranty...

So I know I'm able to take the time and save up to pay $1200 to $1500 to support that breeder and their program and get the puppy they choose for me (heck, that's what I'm paying for!).

With all the millions of dogs being killed in shelters every year (so depressing in our rescue section) THOSE dogs that are there are from irresponsible breeders. I personally REFUSE to ever give .01 to a person that just breeding for the $250 for the puppies and once that pup is out the door so is their responsibility. They used a dog that was available down the street and have no idea how healthy it is or it's relatives are or anything.

If I wasn't able to afford a responsible breeder, than I'd be working with the shelters/GSD rescues to get one of those puppies/dogs. Because at least the $$$$ I'd give then would be to save a dogs life, not supplement a poor breeder and encourage them to breed again just for more money and caring less where the pups are a year or so from their birth.

But that's me!!!! :wub:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VortecZ71

i don't know what spending much is to you. if you don't want to spend much because you don't have much you might
want to delay buying a puppy. you have the price of the pup
and all of that 1st year stuff, food, Vet care, shots, puppy
class, formal training, day care, dog sitter, preminum food, toys,
crate, etc.

if you can't afford a nice pup from a reputable breeder
wait untill you can. my GF and I put $50.00 to $100.00 a week
away untill we could afford to buy a nice pup. we could afford
to take great care of the pup once we brought him home.

now the question is can you afford a dog for the
long run???
The money for caring for the dog is not an issue. It's just been hard enough for my family to convince my mom finally let us get. I'm just saying that a big price tag on a puppy really doesn't help my case.

·
Registered
782 Posts
you will have those who swear spending 1500.00 on a puppy and feeding it 70.00 a bag bags of food its whole life will keep a dog healthy and alive with no issuses for 15 years, then you will have people who get a puppy for 100.00 off a local paper and feed it ol' roy and have an awesome companion dog who lives to be 15 years old...

the bottom line is, I see your point in saving for the "lump sum" of the purchase of a dog, and knowing that like children or other life crisises(sp?) that you can always push bills around of do what you HAVE to do to care for the pet for life. I know thats what I did anyhow.

My suggestion is to first know what you want the dog for. Companion? a abuddy to hit the lake with, play in the yard with, and sleep on the foot of your bed? Or a show dog with a perfect pedigree and spends it life constantly working for you in agility, or tracking, or anything else, or a mixed bag who does a little competition for fun, and still likes to eat trout on the side of the lake.
Once you know where you are going with your dog, then you can contact breeders in your area and inquire about prices. I grew up in a household who ran a kennel, and we had more than one puppy that we let go for way less then the rest of the litter to some lucky kid who wanted his first rottweiler as a buddy dog and got it for 150.00 or 200.00 instead of the 1500-3k the rest in the litter went for and was the runt or the last picked. The pup had the same incredible bloodlines as the others and same health promises, and everything, but cost a whole lot less out of the goodness of my mom's heart. So you never know if you dont ask. :)
Also I agree with please not supporting BYBs, but again, I have seen people think they got an awesome pup from a reputable breeder and get a "lemon". You just never know.

I hope you get an awesome pup and look foward to seeing your quest come to light and see the final product! :) Good luck to you!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you will have those who swear spending 1500.00 on a puppy and feeding it 70.00 a bag bags of food its whole life will keep a dog healthy and alive with no issuses for 15 years, then you will have people who get a puppy for 100.00 off a local paper and feed it ol' roy and have an awesome companion dog who lives to be 15 years old...

the bottom line is, I see your point in saving for the "lump sum" of the purchase of a dog, and knowing that like children or other life crisises(sp?) that you can always push bills around of do what you HAVE to do to care for the pet for life. I know thats what I did anyhow.

My suggestion is to first know what you want the dog for. Companion? a abuddy to hit the lake with, play in the yard with, and sleep on the foot of your bed? Or a show dog with a perfect pedigree and spends it life constantly working for you in agility, or tracking, or anything else, or a mixed bag who does a little competition for fun, and still likes to eat trout on the side of the lake.
Once you know where you are going with your dog, then you can contact breeders in your area and inquire about prices. I grew up in a household who ran a kennel, and we had more than one puppy that we let go for way less then the rest of the litter to some lucky kid who wanted his first rottweiler as a buddy dog and got it for 150.00 or 200.00 instead of the 1500-3k the rest in the litter went for and was the runt or the last picked. The pup had the same incredible bloodlines as the others and same health promises, and everything, but cost a whole lot less out of the goodness of my mom's heart. So you never know if you dont ask. :)
Also I agree with please not supporting BYBs, but again, I have seen people think they got an awesome pup from a reputable breeder and get a "lemon". You just never know.

I hope you get an awesome pup and look foward to seeing your quest come to light and see the final product! :) Good luck to you!!!
We are just looking for a companion, a dog to have fun with. She will not see any competitions. However, I still want that typical brown/black German Shepherd look (I know it's a bad way to describe it but you know what I mean).

·
Registered
782 Posts
black and tan? ;)

I am pretty partial to the bi-color myself. :) but yes I understand what you mean,

Have you looked into local rescue groups? I know a local one here has beautiful pure bred puppies that are affordable and fully vetted upon adoption. That may be another option for you. I know you can look into a lot of rescues too since transport is available for many!

That may be an awesome way to get a good dog fully vetted for a good cause as well!

what state are you in? maybe I could help you look into rescues?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
have you looked on petfinder?? There are usually ALOT of gsd's on there and in the new england area.

While you may not want to spend alot of money initially, which I can understand, please keep in mind, what would you do should the dog need some type of medical treatment that costs maybe a couple thousand dollars??

Just something to ponder, sometimes emergencies crop up and the vet costs are astronimical ..

Definately check out petfinder tho

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Are there any breeders in particular that are highly recommended?
Did you read my post #7 in this thread?

Cause if you do, you'll see we can't just recommend a breeder until you KNOW what you are specifically asking for. There are at least TWENTY different kinds of German Shepherds. Different looks, different temperment, different drives, attitudes, etc. So to ask for a breeder recommendation is to vague.

Be like saying you'd like a recommendation for a car.....................Be better if you did your research to say you were looking for a newer SUV that seats 5, is red, and can fit 2 dog crates in the way back!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
black and tan? ;)

I am pretty partial to the bi-color myself. :) but yes I understand what you mean,

Have you looked into local rescue groups? I know a local one here has beautiful pure bred puppies that are affordable and fully vetted upon adoption. That may be another option for you. I know you can look into a lot of rescues too since transport is available for many!

That may be an awesome way to get a good dog fully vetted for a good cause as well!

what state are you in? maybe I could help you look into rescues?
Massachusetts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you read my post #7 in this thread?

Cause if you do, you'll see we can't just recommend a breeder until you KNOW what you are specifically asking for. There are at least TWENTY different kinds of German Shepherds. Different looks, different temperment, different drives, attitudes, etc. So to ask for a breeder recommendation is to vague.

Be like saying you'd like a recommendation for a car.....................Be better if you did your research to say you were looking for a newer SUV that seats 5, is red, and can fit 2 dog crates in the way back!
As far as looks, I like numbers 1, 5, and 6 at the website you gave me (Breed Types & Related Families). I was actually a little bit overwhelmed by the number of breeds; I had no idea that there were this many. Like I said in my above post, I am looking for a family dog, a good companion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts