German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to say Hi! New here as I'm picking up my GSD female today. She's 1 1/2 years so anything that would help the home and owner transition will be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Hi Rob, welcome. If you mention a little bit about your situation people can probably give you more targeted/helpful advise. For example, how many people and animals are in your house currently? What do you know about the girl that you are getting today?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Welcome Rob, and congratulations! Best thing with a dog that age is to give her time -a couple weeks - to settle in and learn her new environment and routine. That means, minimal demands, as little direct focus on her as is possible (or at least no more than she seems totally comfortable with! Watch for signs of anxiety like yawning, lip licking, her expression, quick eye movements, that sort of thing. And if you see any of those just back off a bit!). With a little time she'll let you know when she's feeling comfortable! And again, congrats to you both!

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Tim is correct in taking it slow and giving her time to adjust. These dogs thrive on routine so make your days as consistent as possible for awhile. That includes waiting to invite people over to see your new dog. Later on you can start adding more variety to spice things up a bit and keep things interesting for both of you.

While being consistent, be flexible. By that I mean don't stock up on peanutbutter and hotdogs for treats and find out that your girl doesn't like them. My boy doesn't like crunchy dog biscuits but loves celery. go figure. Don't buy an expensive dog bed right away. She may love soft beds or prefer a hard cool floor. She may prefer soft toys to hard ones, or like hard balls to flying discs or tugs. She might like petting behind the ears but might not let you know right away because she doesn't really know you yet. She may walk well on a regular collar so don't order that H.S. prong just yet. Do invest in a good sturdy leash, though, and maybe some pretty bandannas. That way you can have the fun of getting new things for your gal without breaking the bank.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
You've had some good advice here!

Just remember,,,,, this dog is going to be swept up by "STRANGER'S"!
And will experience.....new voices, new area, new sounds, new house, new yard, and even more strangers! It would be like you being dropped off in the middle of a foreign speaking country all by yourself when you were a child!

The Two Week Shut Down: The "2 Week Shut Down" theory is controversial with some, but, I think you will get some good pointer's from the articles below.

Quote:
"Things NOT to do:
Here is an example
"I introduced her to 15 people"
" he was a bit leery but seems to like my other 3 dogs"
"she went everywhere with me "
All in the first few days of the new home..... (!!!)

Two weeks later we read
“I think we will have to re-home the new dog" Unquote

Decompression ? The Two Week Shutdown | Looking Glass Animal Rescue

The Two-Week Shut Down | Pibbles & More Animal Rescue

This was an older dog in this thread, folks had great ideas for this OP: Rescuing my first Dog this weekend!

Also good reading: "Rethinking Popular Early Socialization": rethinking "popular" early socialization

Best of luck! And Pleeeez post pics of your girl!
Moms :)

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
My daughter just adopted a 3 year old lab/shep mix. She's a wonderful girl, but even after 2 months they are still figuring out little things that trigger a response in her. Luckily her response has been to go to her crate (safe) space to chill. It just reminds them that she had this whole other life with unknown experiences.
And congratulations on your new girl! Have fun and post pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts