German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in a rural area, we can see our neighbors but they're not very close. We're getting a GSD pup in about 3 weeks when he's ready to go. We have him all picked out, he's mostly black with a tiny bit of tan markings, adorable as all get out of course! Anyhow, one of the main reasons we are going for a GSD is the visual intimidation factor. My young daughter spends quite a bit of her time in the summers home alone and other odd times alone, I really want a velcro dog who would give anyone with bad thoughts a pause! When our pup comes home, one of the things I want it to learn is the potty spot in the yard- after we walk it over there and it does it's business, I'd like for us to take it on a "patrol" of a certain perimeter of our property each time too..my thoughts being that it will teach it the boundaries we want it to keep whether on leash or off. I also want to insist on him sitting before we go out the door and sitting before we go in the door. Are there any obvious things I want to get trained into this dog to make it easier for a younger person to handle it alone when it's older? (It will also have the basic sit, down, stay,come commands- hopefully hand signals for all of those too, my JRT picked them up very quickly-not that he always obeys them!) And we will socialize socialize socialize, I know that they have the instinct bred into them to figure out bad intent from normal "good" friendly behaviour. Any good tips? Thanks! We're excited to get "Grizz" home in a bit!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
How young is your daughter? I would think that there is probably an age that is too young to really be safe expecting her to be able to control your dog. I'm not a parent, so I'm not sure about that. Hopefully others can help you.

Congrats, you must be so excited!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Karma,
She'll be 12 this summer. She's pretty mature and she knows what we're expecting from her as far as sticking to the training rules. We've talked about why it's so important to train the puppy from the start, she wants a good dog too ;-) She's been riding horses since she could walk, so she understands the relationship between training and a well behaved animal- I think it will carry over into her dealing with Grizz. She's the main reason we chose this breed, so we want her involved as much as she can be...Thanks! And your avatar pup looks like he's quite a character LOL

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Read up on NILIF, that will get your daughter and pup in the habit of training from the start and makes for very well mannered dog, especially in the house. It will also have your dog look to the humans for direction and boundaries. She might also enjoy clicker training, it's fun and gets results fast with pups. And a puppy class and basic obedience class would be a great thing to do too. Congratulations on the new puppy!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on the awaited arrival of Grizz! :greet:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts