German Shepherds Forum banner

New here and about to adopt a new dog!

3K views 61 replies 16 participants last post by  jarn 
#1 ·
Hi, first time ever posting here. I may be bringing home a beautiful GSD who is about 2-3 years old. I’m going Saturday to meet him for the first time at a local rescue. I’m so very excited! I have owned a couple of female GSD’s, but never a male so I honestly don’t know what to expect. The rescue told me he’s a very sweet boy who engages and gets along well with other dogs and people. His owner unfortunately had to surrender him due to health issues.

I’ve always wanted another GSD ever since my sweet Bella passed away a few years ago. She was one of the best dogs I’ve ever had and I miss her dearly. The only concern I have about this new dog is he’s never been around cats before so they don’t know how he would react. I have two cats. My Bella had no issues with them and played just fine together, but I have no idea how he will be around them.

Any tips on how to introduce them slowly? Also what can I expect with a male GSD? Are they a lot different than the females? I’ve done lots of reading and read about some of the main differences, but would love to hear first hand peoples experiences!

Thanks for reading and it’s nice to meet all of you!

#2 ·
I've had 4 females followed by 2 males together now and the main difference is that females tend to be a bit more serious and also protective. The males can be intimidating and able but less serious, if that makes any sense. Most pups can be trained to leave cats alone but prey drive is prey drive in an older dog. If it's not been proofed on cats (does the rescue know) I'd tend to believe the natural relationship is not good. Keep them separated and give the cats an exit as well as a private room if possible. Or get rid of the evil cats :D

Oh, welcome to the forum.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I don’t know how the cat introduction is gonna go down. Guess I can only hope for the best and expect the worst. The rescue just told me that they have no knowledge of him ever being around cats. I’m definitely keeping them separated for awhile until he adjusts to his new surroundings.

That makes sense about the females. My last female was very protective. She was also very distrustful of males so not sure what happened in her past. Every time my father would come for a visit she would growl at him. My mom she was fine with and any other female. After working with her she got better and her and my father actually became best friends. Lol

#4 ·
Keep him on leash and attached to you in the house for at least a few days. That way you always have him under your eye while you're bonding. Put up baby gates to give your cats more ways to get away and to prevent him from getting up steam. Try to never allow any fixation on the cats, redirect his attention back to you with treats or a toy while you're working on it. Keep a leash on him (drag line) for a while after you start giving him more freedom so he'll be easier to grab.

#5 ·
My introduction (10 week wl pup to adult Bengal - both males) has been long and drawn out, the dog is 11 months and they’re still not allowed to be together unsupervised.

Obviously our circumstances are different but I’m going to imagine the cat will have a big issue with this new set up. Just make sure the cat has safe routes and spaces away from the dog and you’re able to monitor all interactions.

Softly softly catchy monkey - i.e. be prepared for it to take absolutely ages!

#6 ·
Thanks all! I’m sure I’m going to have my work cut out for me. I’ve had my newest cat for 6 months now and my resident cat still has issues with her. They play together, but then my resident cat will be hissing and swatting at her. They have a love/hate relationship. So I can’t imagine how she will react to a new dog. I know when my brother brings his dog over she runs and hides and stays hidden the entire time. So I’m thinking she will probably do the same. The newest cat is a bit more curious and will probably want to check the new dog out and play. So I will be keeping them separated and introducing them for short supervised periods of time until they get acclimated…..if they ever do.

I am just super excited though because it’s been years since I’ve had a dog and been looking for the right one for awhile now. So I can’t wait to meet this new guy and see if he will be a good fit! It will also be nice to have someone to go on my walks with me since I like to walk 2-3 times a day to get my 5 miles in. I know the rescue informed me that he walks well on a leash, but the only negative they’ve encountered is that when he sees a passing car he wants to take off after it so he will pull hard! So I know that will be something I will have to work on. I’m wondering if a harness would be better? Any tips on how to correct this behavior? I am currently working from home so I’m happy the dog won’t be left alone for long periods of time and I’ll have time to bond with him and really work on things.

#7 ·
Thanks all! I’m sure I’m going to have my work cut out for me. I’ve had my newest cat for 6 months now and my resident cat still has issues with her. They play together, but then my resident cat will be hissing and swatting at her. They have a love/hate relationship. So I can’t imagine how she will react to a new dog. I know when my brother brings his dog over she runs and hides and stays hidden the entire time. So I’m thinking she will probably do the same. The newest cat is a bit more curious and will probably want to check the new dog out and play. So I will be keeping them separated and introducing them for short supervised periods of time until they get acclimated…..if they ever do.

I am just super excited though because it’s been years since I’ve had a dog and been looking for the right one for awhile now. So I can’t wait to meet this new guy and see if he will be a good fit! It will also be nice to have someone to go on my walks with me since I like to walk 2-3 times a day to get my 5 miles in. I know the rescue informed me that he walks well on a leash, but the only negative they’ve encountered is that when he sees a passing car he wants to take off after it so he will pull hard! So I know that will be something I will have to work on. I’m wondering if a harness would be better? Any tips on how to correct this behavior? I am currently working from home so I’m happy the dog won’t be left alone for long periods of time and I’ll have time to bond with him and really work on things.
I think if you KNOW and understand that it will be lots of work and are prepared then you’ll be fine, with lots of patience. Good luck, keep us up to date!

#9 ·
Harness = more pulling, don't know his personality but whenever Im aware of a trigger approaching I try to engage my dog with play, he's very toy driven and I can get him to focus on me by playing some tug, also rewards him for leaving the trigger alone, could also be done with food, depends on what drives him

#10 ·
Welcome! Sorry for the loss of your girl. A slow introduction is usually best, even to your home. We put new dogs in the laundry with a gate to the kitchen for the first few days. We do not have cats (euuuuuuu) but another dog. Duke jumped the gate after about an hour and made himself right at home much to Ms. Perfect's chagrin but she came around quick. She was still mourning the loss of her boy dog and wasn't quite sure about a new one. She was still going out each day and sitting at the top of the driveway waiting for him to come back. We usually gate them into the kitchen/family room for the first week or so, longer if housebreaking. It's different with each dog (s) and you just have to go slow and feel your way along. Can't wait for your pictures! This is our adopted pair.
Dog Snow Carnivore Dog breed Tree

#11 ·
Well he’s finally home! It’s been an adventure for sure! There is quite a bit I will need to work on especially before I take him walking as he pulls very hard when he sees a passing car. Even on the ride home he was practically trying to lunge out the window when he would see a car pass. He does the same thing when he sees a squirrel or a bird. So we will have to work on that. The rescue said he hadn’t eaten all day because they didn’t want him to have an accident on
thrso as soon as I got home I fed him, but he is not the least bit interested in food and I know he has to be hungry. He did drink a lot of water though. I also bought him some treats and a rawhide bone which he is interested in neither. Not sure how the training is going to go if he isn’t interested in treats. I’m hoping he’s just nervous being in a new environment and will come around or maybe it’s just the type of treats he doesn’t like. Any tips?

Anyway, this is Pollo….the name they called him at the rescue, but I’m thinking of changing it possibly to Finn or Finley or maybe something else that might fit him. Still undecided. He really is a sweet boy though!
Dog Carnivore Pet supply Dog breed Dog supply

#14 ·
Oh good to know! I’ll take those away. Yeah, I’m just worried about him not eating. I think he has a bit of an upset belly because before we left the rescue he was having liquid poops and he’s been having them pretty much all day since I brought him home. I’ve been taking him out quite often. Not sure if it’s just nerves or if he’s sick. I’ve got to call first thing Monday morning anyway and get him an appointment with the vet to get checked out and he’s due for his rabies vaccine the 25th of this month.

#15 ·
He’s a beautiful dog. Consider a two week shutdown. This is an old thread and the first one I found but you can search for other threads that discuss it.

#16 ·
And this from 2012. My methods have changed a little since then, but overall the thread explains how different people use it.

#17 ·
Thank you for the replies! That’s basically what I’m doing with him now….a 2 week shut down. He’s confined to my bedroom at the moment in his crate. I only let him out to roam around and explore the bedroom and to eat/drink. And of course outside to use the bathroom. He is away from the rest of the house and cats.

It worries me though as he has been having diarrhea frequently and despite me taking him out every couple of hours he had an accident in his crate. After I cleaned it and him up I let him outside again. I feel so bad for him as he gets so anxious when I take him outside. If we go out in my backyard he freaks out because he smells the cats and he is tugging hard the entire time. Even was able to grab one of the kitties beds in his mouth before I could stop him that was on the screened in porch and just started shaking it from side to side. He would not let it go for anything so I know he would not do well with cats. At least not without a lot of work. Just the scent of the cats drive him crazy. And when I take him out front he freaks out because of the sites/sounds, passing cars on the street etc and will pull hard! I’ve got to get a better leash or some gloves as I’ve got blisters all over my hands from trying to hold the leash as he’s pulling.

Another reason I put him in my bedroom is because I wanted to be near him in case he got anxious or needed to use the bathroom since I’m still learning him and how he reacts when he has to go potty. He’s been good and pretty much slept through the night and will start pacing back and forth, pawing at the crate door and whimpering when he needs to go potty. Also, he finally ate his food this morning and took a treat! So that’s progress! At least now I have something to work with when I start training him. Right now I’m just trying to let him chill and adjust to his new environment. I also need to figure out how I’m going to transport him to the vet as I either need another person with me in my he car to hold him down because he goes wild seeing passing cars on the highway or I’ll need to find some other way to transport him securely without him all over the car. I definitely have my work cut out for me, but I’m not giving up. I see so much potential in him and I think he will be fine once he adjusts to his new home.

#20 ·
Can the rescue get you the vet records from the person who surrendered him? Or have them call their vet and release the records to you or the rescue? I've always found it a huge help to have that history when we go see the new vet. For example, has he had bouts of diarrhea in the past, or is this new -- it might change the vet's approach if they have a full history.

A friend who fosters for breed rescue who has cats has a rule she enforces with new dogs: new dogs do not have the right to approach or chase after the cat (she keeps them leashed, even in the house), but the cat may approach you, if it chooses to do so. Her dog-savvy cats know instinctively to avoid the sketchy dogs.

I also totally agree with doing some version of a 2-week shut down. It gives the dog a chance to get used to the new smells and routine of the house without making bad choices -- it is game-changing for some dogs!

#21 ·
Thanks all! I’ve considered a prong collar, but I don’t know….just seems so cruel in a way. My only issue with finding a crate for the car is finding one big enough to hold him, but small enough to fit in my Toyota Camry. Not sure if it’s possible? Any idea?

I have made some progress with him this morning. Firstly, the rescue told me he does not know the sit command. Well he absolutely does know the sit command as he sits every time I tell him to. I also worked on the leave it command and he is catching on fast! I sat down on my bedroom floor with him and he laid down right in front of me and we had a nice short training session. So that gave me some hope. Now I just need to keep working with him on the chasing cars, cats, squirrels, birds…basically anything that moves he wants to chase!

#23 ·
It’s funny the rescue said he doesn’t know sit. Any dog with any basic training knows Sit. It’s the first command most people teach a dog. The good news about working with a clueless rescue is that you may find he knows a lot more than they realize. I always put my rescued dogs into obedience as soon as they can handle it so we get used to each other and to the environment in a group setting. If your dog can’t tolerate working near people or other dogs, find a class with an experienced trainer in a park or big area where you can work at a distance. Eventually with the help of a good trainer, you will be able to gradually work closer to other dogs and people.

I reread your post and his problems are with cats, not dogs. I still recommend working at a distance at first.

#24 ·
oh, he's CUTE! Great smile. Expect a shut down. He's had an exciting couple of weeks, he just doesn't know that his chaotic journey is over yet. GS's take time to decide whether they want to be your dog or not. They come around, just takes time. Especially if they were already bonded to another owner. One does not pick a German Shepherd, the dog picks you after he decides you'll do as an owner.
I hate rawhide because they chew them up, slobbering all the time, on the floor making a mess. And if they gobble them down they can upset tummies. Stick with the Kong toys for aggressive chewers. Duke likes the Kong tire and knobby ring. Be real careful balls, they can swallow or inhale them. Elke likes the big blue Barrett Ball, it's too big to swallow so it's safe and being solid rubber lasts a long time.
Hopefully, the diarreah is just nerves and drama. See if he'll eat some canned pumpkin. a heaping tablespoon at a time until things firm up.

Pollo is Italian for chicken. Not sure I'd stick with that - maybe Paolo, he does look like he's going to be a little heartbreaker.

#26 ·
Well we had an issue tonight. I got him one of those water dispenser things and apparently that was a mistake because he started barking at it very viciously tonight once I got it set up. He would not go to his crate when told like he’s been so good about doing. He was just too fixated on that water dispenser. So I called my boyfriend in to help me and he snapped at him. My boyfriend would not touch him after that. He’s becoming more aggressive and that scares me. He hasn’t tried to bite me yet, but has been finding anything within his reach, taking it in his mouth and trying to destroy it. I won’t lie….it’s actually starting to scare me as my other two shepherds were never like this. I don’t think he’s getting enough mental stimulation and definitely not enough exercise because I can’t take him outside without him going crazy. He’s dragging me everywhere barking and pulling. So I think he just had way too much pent up energy. The rescue said he didn’t have a bite history….they said they don’t rescue and adopt out dogs with a bite history. Yet he tried to bite my boyfriend. I just had to let him tire himself out, put the leash on him, took him out one last time to potty and then put him in the crate.

I’m not giving up on him yet. I’ve been researching different trainers in my area and contacted one, but they are booking into July at the moment and I need one now! I also have him a vet appointment later this month.

#27 ·
Please go back and re-read the post from LuvShepherds about the two-week shutdown. I recommend it to every adopter and hardly any of them do it because it's not what anybody wants to do with a new dog, but the ones that do have far, far fewer transitional problems. It works like magic resetting the dog's brains from whatever came before. Properly done, it means no visitors interacting with him (thus, no boyfriend introduction), no walks off-premises where he can drag you, etc. Slow everything way, way down.

#28 ·
I’m just not sure what more I can do as a two week shut down is basically what I’m doing. He’s been confined to the bedroom and his crate away from the rest of the house and cats, he only goes outside in the backyard and sometimes in the front yard to go potty. I do not take him walking. He is leashed the entire time and drags me all over the yard. I let him off the leash once in the backyard because it’s completely fenced in, but he went straight to the screened in porch and was trying to head butt through the screen wire because he smelled the cats as they sometimes hang out out there. He has been introduced to no one new. Just myself, my brother (as he helped me bring the dog home) and my boyfriend because he lives with me. That’s it though. He’s never acted aggressive towards my boyfriend. I think it was just because he was trying to get his attention from the water dispenser and grabbing him by his collar to bring him back to his crate and he snapped.

#29 ·
Ah! I didn't know he lived with you. I thought he was visiting. It sounds like you're being very careful.

Grabbing a new, amped up dog by a collar can be very threatening to a dog. There are a lot of folks in shelters who get bit that way too. Try to lure him into the crate with high-value treats instead (I throw them into the back of the crate).

Snap usually means not a bite -- at the air closeby. Is that what you mean? If so, the fact that he snapped but didn't make contact is actually weirdly useful information: he's telling you he was over his threshold, and back off. It also means he held back, even though it was scary. These dogs can connect and do damage, so the snap is a warning. There was likely some subtle body language warning that silent given off before that -- usually the snap is an escalation, and a bite will be the next stage of escalation after that.

Do you have a kong (the original shaped round cone-like one)? If not, it would be fabulous to get him one to have in the crate, and stuff it with part of his day's food, and seal it with peanut butter or canned food, so that he has to work it out. Most dogs love them!

#30 ·
Ah! I didn't know he lived with you. I thought he was visiting. It sounds like you're being very careful.

Grabbing a new, amped up dog by a collar can be very threatening to a dog. There are a lot of folks in shelters who get bit that way too. Try to lure him into the crate with high-value treats instead (I throw them into the back of the crate).

Snap usually means not a bite -- at the air closeby. Is that what you mean? If so, the fact that he snapped but didn't make contact is actually weirdly useful information: he's telling you he was over his threshold, and back off. It also means he held back, even though it was scary. These dogs can connect and do damage, so the snap is a warning. There was likely some subtle body language warning that silent given off before that -- usually the snap is an escalation, and a bite will be the next stage of escalation after that.

Do you have a kong (the original shaped round cone-like one)? If not, it would be fabulous to get him one to have in the crate, and stuff it with part of his day's food, and seal it with peanut butter or canned food, so that he has to work it out. Most dogs love them!
Thanks! Yeah I’m normally able to get him into his crate with a treat, but last night he just wasn’t having it as he was too fixated at barking at that water dispenser. I have since took that away and am just using his water bowl which he seems to be happy with.

I could not even get him to go potty this afternoon because he was too fixated on sniffing out the cats in the backyard and then latched on to my hammock trying to shred it which he was able to do some damage. I could not get him to let go. I will try in a bit taking him out in the front yard, but there are just more distractions out there with passing cars, people walking their dogs etc. Fingers crossed it will be quiet enough for him to go without going crazy. I know he has to go as he’s been holding it for 6 hours. He normally does by now.

I do not have a Kong, but will definitely be getting him one! I have a trainer coming out this Saturday to work with him. Hopefully it will help! I just want to be able to take him walking soon so that he can get some much needed exercise! It’s no fun walking by myself!

#31 ·
Awesome handling the initial few days. Sounds like it could be a great dog given he didn’t bite in that situation with your bf - you really couldn’t have blamed the dog if he did. A high prey drive rescue GSD in a 2 cat household is a tough situation for anyone to manage, and a good trainer will be invaluable. I hope it works out with the one this weekend.

Kongs are great. I have 5 of the XL sized kongs and will stuff them with raw meet, usually turkey or beef, I mix in other stuff as well, and then freeze them. Makes for a great crate treat, keeps my dog occupied for about an hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.