German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am new here. I have lived with German Shepherds my whole life.
I have an AS in Media Arts and went back to College majoring in Veterinary Technology. BUT I got a job in Dog Grooming and fell in love with that! I am currently working at a grooming salon: brushing, bathing, drying, nail-clipping, etc. and learning to groom. I love my boss and our new, brand-new facility!

Hmm, where to start? How about my life (w/ GSDs) story?
Sorry to bore ya, lol.

My parents got a GSD puppy named Shadow 1 year before I was born and he was wonderful. He was always a gentle, noble, guardian. My Grandparents got a GSD mix named Dutchess from their friend's litter of puppies that was born on the same day I was. I adored Dutchess.

In 1997 my parents got a male black + tan GSD puppy, we called him Sargent Major. He came with a much longer name I don't remember lol.

In 1998 my parents got a female red, sable, + saddle-backed GSD puppy, we called her Lady Haviland. Again, she had a longer name on papers lol.
Her ancestry included Leerburg and Quando von Arminius.

In 1999 my Grandpa passed away, and we had to travel. My parents got a friend to dog-sit, but in the time we were gone Lady went into heat and my Dad had refused to neuter Sarge up til then. So, June 11th 1999 we had a litter of 8 (thankfully purebred) Puppies. I got to be Lady's mid-wife. Raising the puppies was a blast, and we even had owners calling us years later looking for another puppy - but Sarge was snipped, lol. My Aunt kept the "runt of the litter" which turned out to be a long coat, Lol. His name is Sigfried. My Aunt moved, but I hear "Sigi" is still doing well.

I will never say my parents are genius, But I was a very happy 15yr. old when they let me keep a puppy! I named him simply Baron Ruger and he is my life. I raised him exactly as I wanted, trained him myself, and he is a wonderful dog. When he was 6, he mysteriously developed allergies. I spent Over a Year going to a real quack vet that would tell me I have a "highly allergic dog" and put Ruger on round after round of prednisone, antibiotics, and special shampoos / sprays. He charged me a fortune for this. Finally, I couldn't scrape up enough money and Ruger was in need. I had a couple hundred dollars, about a third of the normal cost - I begged, I pleaded, I offered a post-dated check, I offered to sign my life away, but the Vet told me "Sorry, no money? Can't help you."

I called almost every Vet in the phone book until I Found One that would arrange a payment plan. It took them 5 minutes to suggest Ruger might have Food Allergies. They sent me home with the same round of items as the other vet and the whole thing cost only the couple hundred. They prescribed a special Royal Canin diet for allergies and I tried it for years in vain, it helped a little but we were still going to the new vet for rounds of meds - although less often. I switched him from Royal Canin to Natural balance LID Grain-free and he did better still, but far from great. I went from Natural Balance to Leerburg's Raw Diet plan. Ruger got a lot better!

This past June he got Bloat and needed Emergency life-saving Surgery. He was a couple weeks shy of his 11th B-Day. I couldn't say no, this time I really did sign my life away lol. They did the life-saving part and tacked his stomach while they were at it. After his surgery he was weak and had to be started with Very minuscule amounts of food multiple times a day, and slowly work his way up. The Leerburg diet did not work well with this, so I did some research and found BRAVO.

Ruger made a full recovery, but I could not afford to feed him BRAVO all the time, on top of his Vet debt. I tried to go back to the Leerburg diet, but Ruger refused to chew bones anymore. I was advised by our great feeds store owner (and GSD parent) to give California Natural Grain-free a try, speculating that the only thing risky in Natural Balance was Flax - which CN does not use. Ruger has been doing okay on the CN, but seems to have occasional digestive upsets and is still a tad itchy. I plan to get some EVO chicken + turkey, which I learned about on this forum, and give that a try.

Well, that's my whole GSD story thus far, in a HUGE nut-shell (sorry!).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi there Mink!
I didn't get a chance to reply yet to your posts on my thread, but thanks for the info!
I have Chance on EVO, he is seeming to like it as long as I have bowls on the floor. This morning he was laying with his paws around the food bowl and his head in it eating. LOL He cracks me up.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
welcome!! :greet:

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Member of the bloat club eh? I had that experience with a 2 year old a year and a half ago. Unpleasant
Welcome

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome!! Baron Ruger is very lucky to have you as a momma:):)

·
Registered
800 Posts
what a blessing you are to your dog!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mink -- contact me personally -- I'll help you out with your pooch.
[email protected]
I'll do that shortly, life has been busy lol.

Sorry I've took a bit to respond.

Ruger has been on the Evo diet for a little over a week now and seems to be doing well! He has a very minute amount of itchy-ness, he is not itchy to the point of licking + chewing himself. He will thump his back foot if you scratch him hard anywhere. He could also be itchy due to dry air / skin or some other allergy going on, he was like this sometimes even on the Bravo.

More about Evo - I got the large bites so Ruger actually chews it more than the california natural. He continues to gain a little weight which I've been trying for since after his bloat surgery he got scrawny. His digestion has been great, I started feeding him 3x a day instead of 2 and this has resulted in more excitement for Ruger and more pestering of me, lol. (He thinks he can get food on command now!) So, YAY EVO! Perhaps he did have a problem with CN's Sunflower Oils?

Ruger saw the vet on Monday for a lump that has grown on his chest. The vet thinks its necessary to remove it, so I have been in negotiations with my bank for a personal loan to pay for the surgery. My mother agreed to co-sign the loan to make things move faster, so on Tuesday I should have my loan. My banker (and long-time acquaintance) thinks I'm crazy, I just know it!

I looked into pet insurance when Ruger was 7, but the only kinds I could find then said Ruger was too old for them to cover. I think banks should look into this vet-loan business, they could make a killing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts