German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Need some advice in advance, and some ideas of where to post along the way as I go. I'm getting a 2 year old, UNSOCIALIZED Gsd female. Puppymill survivor, used to either being free on a farm or in a cage not in a house. Not aggressive, prefers to get out of your way if she can. Flattens if she can't. Not treat or toy motivated. She's a 2 year old, not a pup. Once she finishes with her last litter, she'll be fixed and come here. I am, I think her 4th home. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Good on ya for taking her in! The best advice I could offer would be to take things very very slowly. Give 3 weeks or 3 months, whatever it takes, for her to just settle in and learn your routine, before beginning any kind of training beyond essential house manners!

My previous dog took 3 months to show that she was comfortable enough to begin any sort of training. But, wow, she really took to it and became a stellar dog!

Good luck!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Thank you for rescuing her. With dogs that been through trauma, the best thing to do when bringing them home is to give them space. Let them decide when they'll come to you. Meanwhile of course, setting up boundaries, but take it slow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts