German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recently adopted a GSD about 5 years old, Addie. She seams very sweet and a bit timid. Fine with my 2 year old male GSD.
I have cats which she seems interested, curious in. I have not seen any aggression with the cats yet and I am teaching her the "leave it" command. Since the cats are use to dogs they don't seem to be apprehensive about Addie. Should I be concerned about the two of them together? I do not leave her unsupervised with the cats. But how would I know if this interest in the cats could be a prelude to wanting to kill?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you think Addie will be mean with the cats?
Maybe she is curious and just wants more friends? My GS's best friend was our cat before she died 2 years ago.
I guess just watch them and see how they get along.

·
5,627 Posts
But how would I know if this interest in the cats could be a prelude to wanting to kill?
In my (somewhat limited) experience, if she wanted to kill the cats, you'd already know. I had one foster that was truly cat aggressive and he would lunge to bite if he ever got near the cat. He also was VERY obsessed with staring at and constantly knowing where the cat was at all times.

There were other fosters I've had that were a little too interested in the cat but I wouldn't call them aggressive. I could have the cat loose around them as long as I had verbal control over the dog but wouldn't never leave them unattended together.

The president of our rescue also had one foster that was great with the cat for weeks and would even cuddle with him but one day the cat jumped off the couch and the foster grabbed and shook the cat. Instinct took over and accidents happen.

Definitely keep up with the leave it training and supervised time together. I wouldn't leave them loose together for a VERY long time if ever.

How long have you had Addie? It can take a GSD 1-3 months to really settle in and show their whole personality so definitely keep up with the training and NILIF to help set expectations of her early.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Biagia, welcome to you and Addie. Keep a close eye on her and the cat untill you feel positive that there is no aggression. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts