German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL

I HAVE AN 11 WEEK OLD GSD THAT I JUST COLLECTED.

On his 1st vaccination card it says he only weights 3.5kg - this seems very light??

I am feeding him EDEN 80/20 ORIGINAL CUISINE DOG FOOD. this states dogs up to 5kg only need up to 65g of the dry food per day... This seems very very low?

Link - Eden Dog Food

Can anyone offer any advice so how many grams I should be feeding him?

Thank you

·
Registered
134 Posts
HI ALL

I HAVE AN 11 WEEK OLD GSD THAT I JUST COLLECTED.

On his 1st vaccination card it says he only weights 3.5kg - this seems very light??

I am feeding him EDEN 80/20 ORIGINAL CUISINE DOG FOOD. this states dogs up to 5kg only need up to 65g of the dry food per day... This seems very very low?

Link - Eden Dog Food

Can anyone offer any advice so how many grams I should be feeding him?

Thank you
Yes, seems way too light. Pls see chart below.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
There is a separate chart for puppies down around the middle of the page. It looks like it changes as the puppy's weight increases?. Feeding Guide

I do notice that it says the following:

"We have listed the amount for puppies in the table below but recommend that owners of large and giant breed dogs such as Great Danes etc. be aware that the natural Calcium levels are above the recommendations but below any amount that could be harmful.

Puppies

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the above chart is the weight in KG current weight or adult weight? As if he is currently 4kg then the above is suggested only 77g of food per day?? Seems very low?

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
Puppy looks fine to me. Some are smaller and need some time to catch up.
You need to feed the adult portion, divided into three meals.

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
is the weight listed above adult or current weight? its not really clear
An average adult GSD weighs between 25 (small female) to 36 kg (large male.)
Take the portion recommended for that, divide into 3 or 4 meals.
She should be offered at least 235 g per day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll get another pic of him posted - you can feel his ribs when you rub your hand along his side so I suspect he does need fattening up.

according to the Eden packaging though it doesn't say to do that? just says feed X amount based on weight. Which as him less than 5kg only needs 65g per day. Could this be because it is high quality kibble compared to other brands (which say to feed more?)

An average adult GSD weighs between 25 (small female) to 36 kg (large male.)
Take the portion recommended for that, divide into 3 or 4 meals.
She should be offered at least 235 g per day.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Feed the puppy based on the expected adult weight on the package, then adjust upward as needed based on activity and growth!

It'll become instantly apparent if/when you're over feeding! In the meantime, feed more!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Feed the puppy based on the expected adult weight on the package, then adjust upward as needed based on activity and growth!

It'll become instantly apparent if/when you're over feeding! In the meantime, feed more!
But this goes against the puppy feeding guide below? Im probably finding this more confusing then I should!

There is a separate chart for puppies down around the middle of the page. It looks like it changes as the puppy's weight increases?. Feeding Guide

I do notice that it says the following:

"We have listed the amount for puppies in the table below but recommend that owners of large and giant breed dogs such as Great Danes etc. be aware that the natural Calcium levels are above the recommendations but below any amount that could be harmful.

Puppies

·
Registered
832 Posts
The chart on the bag is just a guide, not a set in stone law. Every puppy is different and may require more or less than that guide says. I have never had a puppy that ate the amount printed on the bag.

Feed the puppy in front of you. If he's too thin, give him more. They need a lot of good nutrition since they are growing and developing at a very fast rate.

Don't worry about what the bag says. How your puppy looks and how his body reacts to the food is what is important.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
The chart is a starting point, that's all. According to the puppy chart, he would need more then the 68g you've been offering and it would go up (I assume) as his weight increases ... it's kind of a strange way to do it. If the puppy is too thin, offer more food. If he becomes a teletubby, offer less ;)

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
853 Posts
you can feel his ribs when you rub your hand along his side so I suspect he does need fattening up.
Feeling ribs when you rub them is good, if you could not feel ribs when you rub them he would be overweight. They should feel more like rubbing across your knuckles when hand is relaxed, if they feel like your knuckles when you make a tight fist then he is under weight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts