German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so yesterday we went to purchase a GSD, my son's dream pup. When we got there this pup looked pitiful... normally I would've walked away but something just wouldnt let me and neither would my son.. so we brought this pup home. It's not healthy. It was 6 weeks old and weighs 5 lbs. Its tiny. Our vet checked it this morning and agreed it was malnourished.. we arent giving up on it by any means... my son loves him. So HELP! How do I fatten up this pup and get it back to 100%? And no rude comments about getting it from a non registered breeder.. we just need help.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Frequent small meals, I mix puppy formula with the food when they are behind. Quality food.
Don't go for fast weight gain, slow and steady. Trying to fatten him up will do more harm then good.
Unless you understand raw feeding stick to commercial food. The last thing he needs is imbalance. Let him sleep. They sleep a lot and they need to.

·
Registered
226 Posts
He's adorable. Just feed him slow and steady 3 small meals a day the best food within your budget. Dry kibble with soft food mixed in will do the trick for weight gain. Since he's still little you could put a little water in to soften if needed. Follow any advice your Vet gave.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's adorable. Just feed him slow and steady 3 small meals a day the best food within your budget. Dry kibble with soft food mixed in will do the trick for weight gain. Since he's still little you could put a little water in to soften if needed. Follow any advice your Vet gave.
Thank you so much! He has diarrhea from the stress of leaving his mom, I'm sure the worm meds didnt help, and food change.. pray for us!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frequent small meals, I mix puppy formula with the food when they are behind. Quality food.
Don't go for fast weight gain, slow and steady. Trying to fatten him up will do more harm then good.
Unless you understand raw feeding stick to commercial food. The last thing he needs is imbalance. Let him sleep. They sleep a lot and they need to.
Our vet said no to puppy replacement. I had already purchased some too. But our little man has diarrhea from all the stress, parasites, and food change.. so it's going to be a long night for this puppy family.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Then really small amounts of food, really often. Every couple of hours. I would soften with water if for no other reason then to keep his fluids up. You should not have switched his food, but it's to late now.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
From the looks of that puppy I'd say your weakness saved his life! Good for you, I wish you all the best!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Super young, so no wonder the poor thing is so stressed. You've gotten the advice you need--frequent food and lots of sleep. The little one will catch up when provided a healthy environment. Keep us updated!

Congratulations and good luck. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
Didn't the vet give you any advice on what to do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts