German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Daisy - 11 weeks - GSD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to this forum. I lost my 13 year old Border Collie last summer and this January I finally decided it was time for a new pup. I was intending to adopt a GSD rescue, but have two cats, and the cat-friendly dogs were being snapped up before I could even click 'send' on my adoption applications. So decided to skip the uncertainty and go with a breeder.

Daisy is 11 weeks old, and not to brag too much (after seeing all the threads here on 'ears' ;)) but she's an ear prodigy -- her ears have been bolt upright since she was 7 weeks. Daisy is from Kreative Kennels here in California.

PS. Wow, I thought my Border Collie was smart - but Daisy is so easy and fun to train. (If I can just stop her from nipping!) :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh my! What a cutie! Congrats! I remember when Cannoli was that age. They are little land sharks!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
851 Posts
Welcome ! what a cutie. GREAT mask. Looks like she might have amber eyes?

Yeah, they are definitely smarter than us humans. The nipping with pass, with no hands, it's how they explore everything.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Welcome, your pup is adorable. Yes, they are so smart, and fun.

Reactions: Maurie

·
Registered
Daisy - 11 weeks - GSD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
squeeeeeee she looks like a baby version of my Willow!! :) I'm a sucker for sables, especially light sables!
It'll be interesting to see her coat change as she gets older. Your Willow is beautiful!

·
Registered
Daisy - 11 weeks - GSD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome ! what a cutie. GREAT mask. Looks like she might have amber eyes?

Yeah, they are definitely smarter than us humans. The nipping with pass, with no hands, it's how they explore everything.
Thank you! Your Duke is stunning. I was just reading your comment that he's got a touch of Samoyed. That mix makes one fantastic shepherd!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think what I like most about Duke is how happy he is. First dog we ever had that sings and dances around the house. In his world, it's all good. Elke will take toys right out of his mouth; he just gets another one. He gets people when he wants someone to play with. Just a big happy, goofy dog. Among his distant relatives are collie, Chinook and Portuguese water dog. He is a shelter dog so we didn't know what mix he is.

Attachments

·
Registered
Daisy - 11 weeks - GSD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Duke's a head-turner with the kind of personality my dream dog would have. My last dog, Kip, was a smart, beautiful border collie - with severe fear/aggression of humans (and many inanimate objects) from birth (I think he came from a backyard breeder). He was turned down by trainers, and even his vet told us to not bring him back. But of course, I loved him anyway, for all of his 13 years.

It's a joy to have this new pup, Daisy, to remind me what a normal, emotionally healthy dog is like.

·
Registered
851 Posts
yeah, sometimes you get dog who has emotional problems. It's hard but they are just as much your dog as any other one and need a home and family who cares for them even more. Thanks for keeping Kip and not dumping him. They are the ones you remember. Daisy is one pretty girl and hopefully stable. I think it helps that she has a stable home and owner that understands her. I've heard that color called 'fawn' and 'blond' but I do not know what the actually term is.

·
Registered
Daisy - 11 weeks - GSD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly. It would be like dumping your child. Daisy's a light sable -- but the color she'll be when she gets older is anyone's guess, according to what I've read.

Here's poor old Kip.

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
Kip was gorgeous, and so is your girl Daisy. Welcome. We are an opinionated and outspoken bunch, but don’t
let that deter you
😁

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
PS—- interesting, your comment about Daisy being so smart... BCs are supposed to be smarter.

Reactions: Maurie

·
Registered
Daisy - 11 weeks - GSD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PS—- interesting, your comment about Daisy being so smart... BCs are supposed to be smarter.
Yes, Kip was very smart indeed. But I think pretty stubborn, and his fear/aggression issues caused him to lose focus out in the world. We'll see how it goes with Daisy, but she seems to be able to learn a brand new behavior in about 5 minutes of training. At 11 weeks she can come, sit, shake, turn, lie down, and knows "wait" and her release word "okay." Starting to know how to "stay", and I'm working on getting her to heel, which she does easily while I'm holding treats so far. I'm trying to move her off treats to toys as motivation. I'll definitely be looking for advice on some of these things in other threads soon!

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
Be forewarned.... they forget it all during the teenage butthead stage. 😂
That’s when you have to make sure that when you give a command, the dog will comply. If there is a chance she can blow you off, for example having her come from the end of the yard and she might or might not, don’t give the command. Put her on a long line and make sure she follows through and comes to you.. That’s just one example.
Rolf is almost out of the teenage butthead stage.
When you have an older dog that listens, you forget what a jerk they once were, LOL.

·
Registered
Daisy - 11 weeks - GSD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Be forewarned.... they forget it all during the teenage butthead stage. 😂
That’s when you have to make sure that when you give a command, the dog will comply. If there is a chance she can blow you off, for example having her come from the end of the yard and she might or might not, don’t give the command. Put her on a long line and make sure she follows through and comes to you.. That’s just one example.
Rolf is almost out of the teenage butthead stage.
When you have an older dog that listens, you forget what a jerk they once were, LOL.
AH!! Great idea about the line! (Yeah, she'll blow me off if there's something she's more interested in -- like the fallen figs on the patio.) :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts