German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I've been reading this site for a few months now, me and my fiance were talking about getting a GSD. Well Im down in Virginia for work for a few days and found the PERFECT one, and I just bought her today. Going to bring her up to my fiance as a sorta late Christmas surprise :D

She's about a year and a half, very calm and reserved. Friendly, but was a little hesitant about me for the first little while I was seeing her. She seemed to warm up to me pretty quickly though. Walks great on the leash! She's on the smaller side, about 60 pounds which I like and very pretty!

She drove home in the truck about an hour and did great, just hung out in the backseat sticking her nose out the window. Havent heard her bark yet. I got her back and walked her a bit, then unfortunately had to run to work. Brought her inside and she instantly had an accident on the carpet :eek: I'm sure she was just very stressed and confused, so hopefully once she gets used to me that won't happen again!

Anyway, looking forward to learning as much as I can about her!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin.

My GSD Sadie also had a first-day-home accident. They've got to adjust to the routine of a new life.

From what I've read on this forum GSD are very vocal so expect you new friend to start making noise soon.

Hope you have fun picking a name.

Can you post any pics?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome to you and your girl! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah she didnt seem herself as soon as we got back. She'll settle down soon I hope. I wish I didnt have to leave her as soon as I got back, but I got her a nice comfy cage to hang out in so hopefully she'll sleep till Im home.

I didnt take any pictures yet, but here is one the breeder had on her website.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just beautiful. I love the crossed paws. Congrats.
...and sadie2010 - I have a Sadie, also. Now that is a great name!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome from NH as well :) you'll love it here. alot of info. Good luck with your new girl, she's beautiful!:)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello, and welcome from Michigan! Sadie is beautiful: best of luck with her going forward!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We are also from NH! very pretty girl!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Welcome from MA, just over the NH border. Your new girl is beautiful!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new girl.

·
Registered
63 Posts
welcome from maine ...shes beautiful!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone!

She's warming up to me so quick, its incredible. Does great in the truck too! I took her into a Care-A-Lot (similar to a PETCO or something) today and wow! Everyone loved her and she was great when they wanted to pet her, would just lean up against me and wag her tail, she was a big hit. Didnt bother with any other dogs either, shes a total sweetheart.

I gotta say, I bought her mostly for my fiance but I'm falling in love with her now :D

I think maybe she sees ghosts or something though, cause sometimes when we're walking she'll just suddenly out of nowhere look like she sees something that scares her and kinda hide behind me :confused: Not sure what thats all about! That, and she walks so close next to me I keep bumping into her and almost tripping :p

She's a great girl! Looking forward to bringing her up to New Hampshire where she'll have some more space, she's all cramped up in the apartment Im in now. I'm stuck at work from now until 8am and I decided to let her roam the place tonight instead of putting her in the cage. She's done great in the cage past few times I went to work, was always laying patiently when I got home. Keeping my fingers crossed that she's doing ok out of the cage...I guess I'll see in about 7 hours!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
She is a very pretty girl! Was she a show or breeder prospect that just didn't work out? A couple of my dogs were placed with me after a show/breeder career did not pan out! It is kind of nice to have a young adult, because it is easier to predict what kind of dog they will become!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
She is beautiful! She's doing amazingly well for just having her a few days. Where did you get her?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The breeder had the litter in July of 09 and shortly after her father was having some problems and she was flying back and forth to Florida on/off the whole year. So she just never got sold!

Lucky for me, because I told my fiance the only condition I have is that we DONT get a puppy! I wanted one that was already house trained and over the "chew on everything in sight" stage. So I'm so happy I found this one, shes 18 months and just perfect.

I got home early this morning from work and she was laying down sprawled on her bed, her toys all moved around but not a single thing else was touched! No accidents, nothing chewed...I was so happy. She stretched out and we went for a walk, she did her business etc etc. Absolutely perfect!!

Then tonight I got gutsy...I took her out and had her sit (which shes gotten 10x better at already! And now she's lying down on command as well). Then I let the leash go and walked backwards calling her to me. She just followed along as usual. A few times she got a little bit of distance from me and I got a bit nervous, so I knelt down and slapped my thigh and called her to come with a bit more authority, and she came right over every time, no issues!

Not 100% ready to go out with her off the leash yet, but I think its me that isnt ready, not her! Once I get her home where she'll live for good I'll give it a try, but I think she'll be ok with it!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
We tell people to wait at least 3 weeks before attempting off leash in an unfenced area. There is a honeymoon period when you get an adult dog, at first they are quiet, then they get comfortable, then they start testing. When we sell an older trained dog, or get an import we tell them to stick like velcro for those first 3 weeks. Take them to the drive thru, to pick up the kids, to the pet store for socialization and treats, that type of thing. Usually by the second week they are totally yours, but an extra week is good insurance.
Enjoy her, she a beauty, looks a lot like a girl we imported for my best friend's husband.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts