German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my dream dog (1st dog I've owned) and I'm in need of some advice, mainly for crating. He's 8 weeks old and pretty well mannered most of the day but when it comes time to put him in his crate he goes absolutely crazy and only calms down a few times throughout the night, needless to say I didn't get much sleep last night. He is in a crate with a divider and enough room.

And what's the best method to potty train him? When I was a kid my dad always spanked them or rubbed their nose in it and that seemed to work but I'm reading otherwise. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
We just got our GSD as well and as I type, our 9 week old is calmly laying in his crate. What I did was introduce him to his crate in a very positive way with lots of praise and treats. After that, I left the crate open throughout the day and he slowly became comfortable with it. The first 3 or 4 nights he slept by my side of the bed with a make shift divider (dog bed and laundry basket). I did this so he felt safe and accompanied - since he had just left his litter and mother. After the first few nights, and after being introduced to the crate, I started putting him in at night and I havent had any problems. He whines a little here and there until he falls asleep. And initially he would wake up once or twice during the night for us to take him out but the last couple of nights he slept trough. Good luck and keep your patience, its hard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
to potty train we just follow a schedule. Feed him, take him out. And never let the puppy out of sight so you can catch it relieving itself and correct it immediately. its only been a little over a week since we've had him and he now lets me know he needs to go out by staring at me and whining. Its very rewarding but we still watch him like a hawk.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Exactly what ancad said. It does take a few days for them to learn to settle in their crates. Keep the crate in your bedroom at night so your pup does not feel so isolated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there anything wrong with having him sleep with you? He tends to get whiny and moves around so I know when he has to go. I'll be crating him during work too so the amount of crate time seems excessive.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldn't say there is anything "wrong" with it. Just a couple things you will want to consider. One, he will not be fully house trained just yet. If he goes in your bed just remember it's not his fault.

The only other thing I would be worried about would be habit forming. Are you ok with him sleeping in your bed when he is fully grown? It may be a hard habit to break later in life.

One more thing, some people on her say puppies actually enjoy the crate as it makes them feel enclosed and safe like a den but again, it's up to you and how it works best for the two of you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long on average does it take for him to get used to the crate? I know it depends on the dog too. My job is pretty demanding and getting only 4-5 hours of sleep kinda sucks haha (I know it was my decision) :)

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
For some puppies, a couple of day - for others at least a week.

There is reason people say getting a GSD puppy is like having a new baby in the house:
No sleep and constant supervision!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another question. How much should he be eating a day? He doesn't seem to hardly eat much at all. I've been giving him the same food as the breeder for the last two days. He just shows no interest in eating it but he loves his treats. Could it be the separation from his litter and mother?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello for the first week or so I put a light sheet over the crate, it seems to help. Then as time progresses I start leaving a side at a time up till they are all up as far as the potty training each and every time a puppy eats or drinks outside for a walk and lots of breaks in between like they say constantly watch learn the body language patience is the key. Good luck!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
A lot of good advise. My pup, 10 week old, will voluntarily go to his crate at night, its cute. I leave door open. But when im ready to go to sleep ( i sleep with him downstairs) i close door and he just sleeps. More importantly, i don't use crate as a form of discipline. No "time out" in crate. Dont get me wrong he doesnt love it when he has to go in it, but he gets over it. Crate training i am learning is very important. So far so good, and hes 95 percent potty trained.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
179 Posts
So I finally got my dream dog (1st dog I've owned) and I'm in need of some advice, mainly for crating. He's 8 weeks old and pretty well mannered most of the day but when it comes time to put him in his crate he goes absolutely crazy and only calms down a few times throughout the night, needless to say I didn't get much sleep last night. He is in a crate with a divider and enough room.

And what's the best method to potty train him? When I was a kid my dad always spanked them or rubbed their nose in it and that seemed to work but I'm reading otherwise. Thanks!
GSD is both my dream and first dog too. I put him in the crate the very first night he came home at 8 weeks. He doesn't really protest much but if he does act out I leave a ball with a few treats in the crate with him (something to keep him occupied). He usually gets tired and either fall asleep or continue whining but he would be wore out somewhat from the toys so the whining won't last long. I also made sure not to let him out while he's making noise. I will when he quiet down just to let him know that whining and crying is not going to get him anywhere.

As far as potty training, I use crate and schedule like other mentioned. I gradually merge bell method into the potty training once he gets better at my schedule. This way he can be the one tell me when he wants to go. At 13 weeks he was completely housebroken. Now I left him home during the day (I go home at lunch to feed him). He roam freely in the living room with a doggie door to go outside when he wants. I have a webcam that I can peak him during the time i'm gone and most the time he is just sleeping. GSD is just THAT easy to train!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts