German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

We just got Peanut from a rescue group, and so far she is really doing great. She's learned how to walk without pulling, and knows not to go potty in the house. We've had her for about 6 days.

Today is the first day we had to crate her while we are both at work. Normally she is crated for a max of 2 hours at a time, only once or twice a day, but when we both work (1-2 days a week), she has to be crated for 8 hours, with a visit in between. It sucks, but thats the best we can do.

I left at 8am this morning, and went home at lunch to let her out to go to the bathroom, gave her some love, then had to go again.

She's in her crate right now, and she hates it =(

We've been introducing the crate to her over the past few days, leaving for longer and longer each time. (5min, 10 min, 30 min, etc) She has also been sleeping in her crate, which she has absolutely no problem with.

I set up my webcam so I could watch her while I am at work, and seeing her in her crate really makes me sad, she doesn't seem happy at all. She gets an hour long walk in the mornings, then when I get home from work play, training, and another walk. Not to mention all the attention she gets when Tif or I aren't working.

I was hoping she would be tired enough just to sleep most of the day, but it doesn't appear to be happening much.

Heh, she's sleeping now, but every once and a while she will get up, howl a little, paw at the cage, try to dig, then settle back down. Nothing too crazy, but still, it makes me sad.

She has a few chew toys, including a stuff-able Kong ,but (I feel silly saying this) I don't actually know how I'm SUPPOSED to stuff it. I have the Kong treats, but to get them in there is super hard, and getting them out is impossible, unless they are broken up. What I've been doing is breaking them up into moderately sized pieces and stuffing it, so that they don't all just fall out, but with some manipulation, she can get the treats out. Am I doing it right?

I leave the TV on for her as well, She's watching the Olympics while I'm at work =)

Another thing to mention it that I move the crate from our bedroom to the family room every morning (she sleeps with us in her crate in our room)

I do this because the family room is where we spend most of our time together, and she has some windows, the kitchen, and other things to look at. Am I doing more harm then good by moving her crate around?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try setting up an exercise pen, and see if she likes that better? She's so new to our house, I just have a feeling if I let her roam, I will come home to destruction. She already tears up any sheets or towels we put in her crate. (Only during the day, at night she sleeps like a baby in there)

Thanks for your input.

P.S. If you want to see her, open up Windows Media Player, go to File-Open URL, and put in: http://70.190.167.241:8080

IT breaks my heart to see her in that crate, because I know she really doesn't like it. (During the day)

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
She'll be fine.
Its worse for you I think.
I use to leave the radio on for Brady and gave him a toy to play with.
She just wants to be with you!!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Here is an old post on stuffing the kong:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=506255&page=1

I think leaving her crate in the bedroom is just fine, especially if she's fine in there at night. I used to leave Kai in the crate in the bedroom during the day. The bedroom smells like you, etc. If she continues to need to be crated then you can always buy a second one for downstairs or you can leave her loose in the bedroom and set up her crate permanently in the living room.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: littledmcShe'll be fine.
Its worse for you I think.
I use to leave the radio on for Brady and gave him a toy to play with.
She just wants to be with you!!!
You might be right, the webcam is probably a bad Idea =)

While I sit and worry, she's probably really not that stressed out. I just worry about separation anxiety.

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowHere is an old post on stuffing the kong:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=506255&page=1

I think leaving her crate in the bedroom is just fine, especially if she's fine in there at night. I used to leave Kai in the crate in the bedroom during the day. The bedroom smells like you, etc. If she continues to need to be crated then you can always buy a second one for downstairs or you can leave her loose in the bedroom and set up her crate permanently in the living room.
Thanks! I am def. going to try out some of those ideas with the kong. That should keep her busy =)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I also think it sounds like your doing things just fine..

I have two crates for my puppy,,one in the bedroom and one in the living room right in front of the picture window..

Personally, I think having the crate in a different area,,(like you have yours ) day and nite isn't such a bad thing, and won't mess her up...Having her in a room with windows, so she can see what's going on, gives her some stimulation /relieves the boredom of being in the crate..If you, I would keep doing what your doing with the crate.

As for the kong, (and you've gotten other suggestions too!)...I give Masi, a kong with dog food pellets in it,,easy to fill up, and she rolls it around to get them out,,again gives her something to do,,Also if you can find marrow bones (sometimes these give my dogs diarhea),,,once the middle is hollowed out,,fill it with peanut butter or cheese,,,that also gives them something to do..

Good luck,,it sounds like your on the right track with Peanut
diane

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Yeah the web cam will tear your heart out when you want to be there with her.
Some days I wish I could get one just to see what my 2 jokers are up to when I'm not there

She'll be fine!!!!
Trust us we have all been there done that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts