German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 lb teacup poodle and just got an 8 week GS. The GS wants to play with him. When the GS goes near him, my poodle will go after him wildly and try to bite him. Should I just let this behavior occur or keep them separated? I'm thinking that the poodle is just letting him know he is the dominant one....

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
Absolutely don't allow your poodle to attack your puppy! And I would correct the poodle for that!

Keep them separated. Let the poodle get used to the puppy through a barrier, when you are holding the puppy, or have control of the situation.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I wouldn't let the puppy harass the older dog. I don't listen to any of the dominance stuff and I don't let them work things out on their own. I work on them living the way I want to live with them. Some dogs like to play with puppies, some don't. It sounds like the poodle doesn't like to play, or at least is a little overwhelmed by the puppy and with the size difference, you may end up with a badly hurt poodle, fairly soon. I'd concentrate on teaching the puppy to stay calm around the poodle, and shape a relationship that doesn't involve play between them. That may change to a certain extent later, but its going wrong right now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the moment I have an Xpen that I am using for the GS to keep them separated. My poodle used to like to play with the Bichons that I had. I don't know why he is acting so crazy...maybe a territory thing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the poodle senses that the GS wants to play rough. The GS is putting his mouth on everything, which I know is normal. I'll definitely keep them separated and not allow the poodle to get aggressive. The poodle has very few teeth. Supervised closeness between the two of them.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Your senior poodle has absolutely NO desire to be harassed by your puppy. These situations end in tragedy far to often. You need to understand that without ever meaning to the puppy could seriously injure the poodle, and very soon your cute little puppy could actually kill your poodle.
They are dogs, they require your companionship not each others. Shape their relationship into one of mutual respect and tolerance, playing should never be on the table.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sabis mom...thank you. I've had so many people tell me to let the poodle get the upper hand in their relationship. I'm going with what all of you think. I'll keep them basically separated unless I have the poodle on my lap and have complete control over the GS puppy. The puppy is just too mouthy and rambunctious. Thank you for all the advice....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need some serious advice again. I have kept the poodle and the new GS puppy separate. Yesterday I was petting the poodle on the floor, I had just come in from outside with the puppy and he was still on the leash. I thought I had total control of the GS and all at once he lunged at the poodle and had him by the ear for a few seconds. No blood or injury, but the poodle and I were totally shaken. I'm rethinking this, did I do the right thing in bringing the puppy into my home? Should I think about returning him to the breeder? He is being a normal puppy, I'm sure.....of course he is a typical land shark. I just want to be fair to my poodle and the GS.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I think you need to give them some time to get acquainted- we would have mini light training sessions where the dogs would be do some actually be together in a controlled setting following rules to maintain some order. It seemed to help the pup to learn the rules on how to behave. We brought our gsd pup home over a year and half ago to be part of our family which consisted of a 6 year old male neutered chihuahua who weighs 6+ pounds. I know how over whelming it is at first mainly because of the size difference but believe me it gets better. I had to figure out what works. Our chihuahua was not very welcoming to our gsd pup. i understand our chihuahua laying the ground rules and setting the tone but I did not let him get carried away with himself. Our pup was not aloud to torment our chihuahua and our chihuahua could not become a tyrant. It helped we have a crate for the chihuahua where he can come and go. I think this helped have a place where he can go and where I can easily make sure he is left alone.

When your pup is out of the crate he needs to be constantly monitored and or tethered to you is ideal to make sure you can make any corrections if needed. I used the "word leave it " followed by a treat when our pup stopped the behavior right away and it often pertained to our young pup trying to play with our chihuahua and ignoring our chihuahuas decline. Yes all toys needed to be put away. I learned to pick up all the toys and our chihuahua has his toys in a seperate toy box put away in the closet. We did many walks together and made sure our little dog got as much attention as our new pup to help suppress the green eyed monster.

It took along time for our chihuahua to come around and he did stArt playing with our gad pup -all supervised and our pup was very gentle with our chi-until our pup got to big- our chihuahua called it quits- he seemed to know when max was getting to big and shut all play down which I enforced.

It is not at all new anymore and im more relaxed even though there will always be management -as sometimes our gsd- max just enjoys shoving his big head in our chihuahuas space when our chi is in our laps. Max did get bit on the nose once awhile back but still has no problem shoving his head where it doesn't belong. They are respectful of each other for the most part and that took work. Our little chihuahua - Topper- still walks over to max and they will sit next to each other like gentlemen all eyes on me waiting for a piece of cheese. As whenever they behaved like gentlepups together they were always heavily praised and rewarded.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
We have a 5 lb yorkie that has survived 2 different GSD puppies. we allow only the Yorkie on furniture, never the big dogs. It has always been her safe zone. We taught leave it as our first command, mostly in connection with the little dog. they may not be best of friends, they certainly don't roughhouse together
but they all get along peaceably.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts