German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No info on the site yet, but it should be up soon.
http://www.beforegrain.com/

It will be available in Chicken, Salmon, and Buffalo flavors, though I think all contain chicken meal. 100% meat cans will also be available. A rep dropped some reading material at my job and it looks promising. No ingredient list though.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I like Merrick as a company. So I'm looking foward to it. I still haven't found a grain free that's *perfect.*

Maybe this is it????

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomI like Merrick as a company. So I'm looking foward to it. I still haven't found a grain free that's *perfect.*

Maybe this is it????
I hope so! I'm going away for 3 weeks in June and am looking for something to feed my raw fed 10yr old while boarding. As far as commercial diets go, he can only handle some brands of canned and no dry food at all. The plan is to keep him on canned only for the duration, but if I can find a dry that he'll tolerate, if only in small amounts, it will help.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm having real problems getting the Wellness Core, which I love. This is the third week my supplier has been out!! I had to order online and pay $12 shipping.

The guy at my supply store just told me about the Merrick, can not wait to try it. I need to have options if Wellness can not deliver. He seems to think it will be very similar to Wellness Core.

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
I love their canned foods, they have some grain free varieties that my guys love! Actually just signed up with another florida distributor and merrick is on their list, so I will be happy being able to get merrick canned again!!!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
many of the grain free foods have 3 or 4 meat sources in a row before any other ingredients. dehydrated potatoe as the third ingredient seems odd. i just wonder about the overall meat content compared to my current food, which is core. i like the protein and fat numbers, though.

core would be the perfect grainless (relatively low calcium/phosphorus, moderately high protein, low fat) in my eyes if they could somehow do without the potatoes.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Yup. That too.

I keep hoping for a grain free that's *perfect* for my senior and that I could have as a back-up to a raw diet for my allergic GSD.

We just need to go into business and create the perfect grain-free kibble ourselves!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I think at this point the only grain free that is also potato free is Nature's Variety Instinct line...it uses Tapioca

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
why cant other grain free just use the tapioca. the only nv instinct that has reasonable calcium numbers is the rabbit, but at 22% fat which, imo is just too high.

is there a kibble any of you feel comfortable feeding an arthritic, older dog.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I'm feeding Chama Orijen. It does have russet potatoes in it. She only gets a total of 1.25 cups a day though so I'm not worried about the small amount of potato. She also gets raw and canned with no grains or potato!

·
Registered
189 Posts
So my local feed store carries a wide variety of pet foods and they have always carried a full line of Merrick, so I figured they'd have their new grain free foods. They had the tiny bags, only..so far, two different cat foods (tuna and salmon) and one dog formula (Bison). I bought one Salmon for the kitty and the Bison for the pupper. Just go home so haven't opened them yet. The 1.1lb bags are $2.49 and they have a $2.50 coupon on the side for any 11 or 25 lb. bag. So, basically you end up getting the little bag for free.

I can tell that kibble size is a bit smaller than TOTW. Although the ingredients list doesn't read quite as well as TOTW, imo.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
From the SitStay Web site:

25.3 lbs. bag is $44.80 = $1.77 per lb.
11.1 lbs. bag is $21.80 = $1.96 per lb.
6.6 lbs. bag is $14.80 = $2.24 per lb.
1.1 lbs. bag is $2.49 = $2.26 per lb.

When I was checking on Cowboy Cookout for Raya when she was in fussy mode, I could get it shipped to me from Sitstay for the same price my local feed store would charge because they don't normally carry it for me, but would order it in with their order. The problem with that is I needed food and they didn't have enough to order to get their discount.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts