German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this is to be expected but just wondered from those of you who adopt how long this goes on?

Here are the details:
Brought Callan home Friday afternoon (she is a 7 yr old retired breeder). She was spayed last Wed, had her teeth cleaned and 2 teeth removed. I have been feeding her Fromm (which is what she was eating) floated in water (again she is used to that) but have been adding some raw. Only about 4 oz and some home made kefir. She will eat the raw and very little kibble. I have taken to only putting about 1/2 cup of kibble in the bowl because I am tired of throwing out food. This morning I upped the raw but she only ate 1/2 of that.

I feed twice a day but she is used to once a day. She will also take kefir right out of a bowl. I gave her some this morning because her poor tummy was grumbling :(.

She otherwise seems to be getting along fine but here we are Monday and still the same eating pattern. I even tried mixing the raw in a bit finer with hot water to make a gravy but still no luck. Anything else I can do and how long do I wait before I worry. Oh wait I think I am already there.

She will take hot dogs from me, I use them for training and have been slowly introducing her to the clicker.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I think it will just take some more time. Maybe don't try changing too much in the way of the diet. I have had that with new dogs..... added food or changed to get some eating... got some eating then got digestive upset and then no eating again. It takes some dogs quite awhile to settle in and they may not eat much at first.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I had to separate the raw from the kibble or else he would just eat the 'good stuff' off the top and leave the dry. Will she eat out of your hand? Maybe feed her the dry that way until she's settled in

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to separate the raw from the kibble or else he would just eat the 'good stuff' off the top and leave the dry. Will she eat out of your hand? Maybe feed her the dry that way until she's settled in
I tried feeding from the hand, she will take hot dogs but no kibble. At least she is getting a little something with the raw.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Between surgery, teeth pulling and a new home she might just be a little off. Is she drinking enough water?

Maybe you can call the breeder to see how much she normally ate and I'd ask how often she was fed things other than the food they said she was eating. She might have figured out you have hot dogs and comparatively speaking, she's holding out for the good stuff. ;)

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whiteshepherds yes she is drinking fine. I also think it is a combination of everything.

GSDbestK9 I just read this some where just yesterday! I now have to rethink how I feed. I am thinking about going totally raw again but just need to do some more reading and researching. I wonder if for the time being it would be better to feed them one meal the frozen raw and the other meal kibble? I am thinking since we are more active in the evening doing the raw for dinner, less chance of bloat?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yea I have spoken to a few people who say that you don't feed raw & kibble at the sametime because of the different rates of digestion. It takes longer for kibble to digest than raw and mixing both can be unhealthy if not done correctly.

I was informed that if you do want to feed kibble and raw then do it seperately. In the morning feed kibble and then at night feed raw or vice versa.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I agree with everyone that's posted. I suggest not adding the water. All my dogs reached a point as puppies where they didn't want it wet any longer (plus you won't have to throw out what she doesn't eat).

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would also think it's a combo of everything, and her mouth area may still be very painful from removing teeth. The kibble may just be to hard/bland for her right now.

I'm not sure what Kefir is?? Hot dogs are mushy, (she liked those you said), raw is mushy, she liked that right? Maybe try adding some mushy baby food OR, float your kibble, let it get mushy, and throw EVERYTHING in a blender to make it really mushy..
Also, if it's to "cold" it may be upsetting her teeth extraction area..

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would also think it's a combo of everything, and her mouth area may still be very painful from removing teeth. The kibble may just be to hard/bland for her right now.

I'm not sure what Kefir is?? Hot dogs are mushy, (she liked those you said), raw is mushy, she liked that right? Maybe try adding some mushy baby food OR, float your kibble, let it get mushy, and throw EVERYTHING in a blender to make it really mushy..
Also, if it's to "cold" it may be upsetting her teeth extraction area..
Good ideas! Kefir is like yogurt but thinner and has more of the good cultures in it. I make it myself from a starter I got from someone. I just add whole milk to a few tablespoons of the kefir and leave on the counter about 8 hours or so (depends on how warm it is, cooler weather takes longer). Then keep in the fridge and make more as needed, you just keep using the kefir you have to make more.

So if you buy yogurt I highly recommend this way, it saves money and it really much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts