German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

After seeing him on a local rescue shelter website and fostering to adopt for about 2 weeks with an initial "rocky" start, with him earning his name "Rocky" afterwards, we have added another pup to our pack of 2 other dogs and 2 dog-savy cats.

From what we can tell working with the shelter, his previous owner "loved him" so much that when they city pound finally caught him, the owner reported he was a she and he was pretty starved at maybe 34 lbs and the size or taller than my 50lbs dogs. I could easily put my hands around his back bone area.

Dog German shepherd dog Carnivore Grass Plant

Dog German shepherd dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

Since that weigh in he has gained like 10lbs (7/27/22) .Based on the shelters best guess, they said he is 1 year old, but he seems younger than that. I am curious based on his look, any guess on how old he could be? He seems younger. Looking online I found a picture of a similar looking GSD that had a sign next to it that said 6 months.

Dog German shepherd dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

He also looks like a possible full breed black & tan shepherd.

Very sweet dog, took a few days for our previous Shepherd mix adoption who I mentioned on this forum to warm up him, but I wonder if that was a combo of a bad initial introduction at the home versus what went on at the shelter as well as our GSD Mix being the dominant dog of the house and our new pet being not sure how to interact with other dogs. These days though, they are all best of friends with those two in particular chasing around together and looking for the other so they can play tug of war :

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Grass

Dog Vertebrate Comfort Mammal Carnivore

So at this point curious on a few things:

- Any best guess on his age based on the pics? Based on this, what kind size should I expect him to achieve?

- He has either a nervous or excited pee situation when you either come home and he hasn't seen you for say an hour (the other dogs could almost care less lol) or if you are looking to put on a collar to go for a walk, as he seems to have had bad experiences with that and will cower on the steps putting himself into a ball. He has gotten better with this, more trusting, but I am hoping to work with him on anything to help he build confidence on the either nervous or excited urination?

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
4,447 Posts
My first GSD had been starved nearly to death. She was 26" tall and weighed only 35 lbs. when I adopted her. The only thing I did was make sure she was free of parasites, and then just get some good quality food into her! She never looked back after that, and eventually got up to a proper weight for her height and bone structure.

She was a bit of a picky eater, and I would 'sweeten' her kibble sometimes with chicken broth, or cooked chicken giblets in their own broth to get her to clean her bowl. But in the early days, as she was recovering from starvation, there was no need to do that.

As for his age, his body looks to have adult proportions to me, so I think the shelter's guess may be accurate. That 6 month old dog you showed still has a skull that needs to grow into those ears! 😁

·
Registered
33,726 Posts
There is no way to know how big he will be when you don't even know what age he is or the genetics behind him. I don't see any reason to be concerned about whether he's 6 months or 1 yr. The vet should be able to guess by his teeth. A 6 month old should have his teeth or almost done coming in.

Nervous/excited peeing - stay calm around him and don't make a big deal over it. Mostly they will outgrow it. As far as the collar, just work with him. sit on the floor and reward him fro looking at the collar, sniffing the collar, moving the collar. reassociate the collar to good things.

overall, his body condition doesn't look bad. his pasterns will probably improve with good nutrition and exercise.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
He looks like an adult to me (at least a year, maybe 2). As others have said, his head dimensions look full-grown. And I'd add that about his feet too (look at the 6-month old picture, how huge the feet look in relation to the rest of the dog's body...your dog has proportional feet = adult).

But yeah your vet should be able to give a better estimate.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Thank you for adopting him. Everyone wants a perfect dog, but some of us just see a life that needs a home, so thanks!

He looks young and has some growing to do, but it will come. Age is just a guess. We adopted what the shelter says was a 2 year old but as soon as the vet looked in his mouth she remarked, "oh he's much younger than 2." A 90lb puppy!

Congrats on your new family member, looks like a nice dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info everyone!

Concerning the weight of the other two, based on what the vet is saying, the one having fun with some tug of war action is pretty muscular, other on the bed vet says he is good to go even though he looks chubby relative to his head, but he is a mixture of a ton of different dogs it appears and not sure if that is related so in general we watch him. He certainly i snot an overeater.

We'll continue working with the peeing situation, outside of that in comparison to our other dog who is in the tug of war pic who used to do a walk and pee all the way from the steps to the door, this is definitely more manageable lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts