German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my girl Lola. I’m curious as to what kind of coat she will have when she grows up? She’s about 9 weeks and her ears are extremely floppy. I’m also worried about her whining. She gets so anxious and starts crying if I even take a shower? Did anyone else’s pup constantly whine to this extreme?

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
9 weeks? She looks younger to me. How much does she weight?

We didn’t have any seperation anxiety issues

How’s the crate training coming ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also thought she looked much younger but I took her to the vet and the vet said she looked about 9 weeks. she weighs 10 pounds and eats 2 cups a day of food. they said shes a little thin (worms).
The crate training isnt that bad, she cries for a minute and calms down and only cries when she has to go to the bathroom. But if she cant see us when shes in the crate its a different story. Say she can see me but im on the other side of a gate shell constantly cry.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
She's very cute! Looks like she may be a coaty when she grows up. And yes, many puppies whine a lot, why not let her come in while you take your shower? That way she'll understand what's going on and likely as not decide on her own that it's okay to wait for you outside of the bathroom...she's still just a baby! Let her follow you everywhere, it's a good habit to develop while they're young.

·
Registered
77 Posts
She’s adorable!
My dog is a big whiner. Sometimes she whines more than other times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's very cute! Looks like she may be a coaty when she grows up. And yes, many puppies whine a lot, why not let her come in while you take your shower? That way she'll understand what's going on and likely as not decide on her own that it's okay to wait for you outside of the bathroom...she's still just a baby! Let her follow you everywhere, it's a good habit to develop while they're young.

I also thought it was okay to let follow. My boyfriend was worried that she needs to be okay with being alone and to teach her independence. I like your idea better

·
Registered
813 Posts

I also thought it was okay to let follow. My boyfriend was worried that she needs to be okay with being alone and to teach her independence. I like your idea better
She does need to relealize it’s ok to be alone. It’s also good because you are eliminating possible seperation anxiety issues later. We would leave our dogs home for a hour or so when they were younger and have never had any seperation anxiety issues. Your puppy is young now but as she grows it is important to leave them alone. You don’t want a Velcro dog.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Op, you have a young puppy. They whine. They've been taken from their mom and litter. How would you feel if some stranger took you away from your parents and friends?

We all deal with it. Into the crate when they can't be watched. They'll protest. They all do. Just wait until your pup stops whining and calms down before letting them out

9 weeks? She looks younger to me. How much does she weight?
Careful, I was asked the same question just because she was on the small side

You don’t want a Velcro dog.
I've found the whining to be a little worse as of late. My wife leaves the room and pup will whine and pace. Not so much if I leave the room, but if I leave the car, pup will whine. Lately she really wants to be close to us. I'm wondering if it's been because it's Christmas break so my wife has been home more

I've felt that the Velcro dog phase will go away with age

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Oh my goodness what a cute puppy you have!!! My guy whined when he was that age too, I think they just miss their siblings and mom... mine kept whining until he learned to ring a bell now he just rings his bell for everything (gotta pee? Bell! Hungry? Bell! Water? BELL!!!!). They can be a very vocal breed but my guy turned out to be pretty quiet, I wouldn't worry too much and make sure she does spend some time alone for her sake and yours!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Oh my goodness what a cute puppy you have!!! My guy whined when he was that age too, I think they just miss their siblings and mom... mine kept whining until he learned to ring a bell now he just rings his bell for everything (gotta pee? Bell! Hungry? Bell! Water? BELL!!!!). They can be a very vocal breed but my guy turned out to be pretty quiet, I wouldn't worry too much and make sure she does spend some time alone for her sake and yours!
Haha we did the bell too....it really helped us with potty training! We had to get rid of it though cause she would start randomly ringing it just to go outside lol!

·
Registered
213 Posts
And yes, many puppies whine a lot, why not let her come in while you take your shower? That way she'll understand what's going on and likely as not decide on her own that it's okay to wait for you outside of the bathroom
Our dogs love to come into the bathroom when we shower. The floor is nice and cool. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Op, you have a young puppy. They whine. They've been taken from their mom and litter. How would you feel if some stranger took you away from your parents and friends?

We all deal with it. Into the crate when they can't be watched. They'll protest. They all do. Just wait until your pup stops whining and calms down before letting them out.
I get that. I was just meaning like if I’m in the same room and she can’t get to me she just cries until she can. Even if it’s not in her kennel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
the "velcro dog" stage can go away. but its not a good idea to count on that. My current german shepherd has bad separation anxiety and she is nine years old. I got her when she was three years old. She was left alone often, so don't expect a dog thats left alone often to not have separation anxiety. what you want is for your puppy to feel confident when left alone. i do that very gradually. When i get my new puppy i will start by standing outside the door for a few seconds and gradually extending that until she realizes i'll come back. generally separation anxiety is because the dog is afraid their family/owner wont come back. this isnt always true though, at least in my experience.

So I suppose if I gave you one piece of advice it would be to gradually get her used to being alone, not just be like. ok im leaving, deal with it. it would be best to work with your puppy on that before you actually have to leave for a long period of time when nobody else will be there. First put the pup in her kennel with a safe chew, something you know she wont damage or chew up fast. step outside the door, then come right back, and then again. Don't make a big deal of your return so she doesnt get to thinking its something bad when you leave. slowly increase the time you are on the other side of the door. if all goes well the puppy should learn you WILL come back and so puppy shouldnt develop separation anxiety.

when i crate train, it takes a little bit longer but my dogs always learn their crate isnt a bad place. i attach an exercise pen to the crate with a bed in the crate, and her food bowls and all her toys. i only give her her good things in the crate, and she learns its a good place. the pen is so if the puppy cant hold it she's not forced to piddle in the crate and the clean den instinct isnt damaged like it is if they absolutely have no other choice but to wet in their crate, so lay down plenty of newspapers or puppy pads in the pen area. It can honestly take some time, but you know, its worth it and it works.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My puppy cried in the crate if he couldn't see me, too. At night, his crate was in my bedroom. But if I put him in the crate while I cleaned or showered and wasn't in his direct line of sight? Cried. Every. Single. Time. However, he didn't cry when I put him the crate to leave the house...only when I was home and out of his eyesight.

I'm happy to say that at almost ten months old, I can now shower in peace. He's at the point where I can leave him out while I shower, but if he's crated in the house and I'm home...no more crying. So there is hope. I just never gave in the crying and never let him out because he was crying (when I knew the crying wasn't related to potty issues).

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
She does need to relealize it’s ok to be alone. It’s also good because you are eliminating possible seperation anxiety issues later. We would leave our dogs home for a hour or so when they were younger and have never had any seperation anxiety issues. Your puppy is young now but as she grows it is important to leave them alone. You don’t want a Velcro dog.
Know that everyone responding means well, but here's the thing, your puppy just came home to live with you. It's a HUGE transition, and she's a baby. No need to worry about separation anxiety or creating a Velcro dog at this point. Let her follow you for now, and taper it off in the months to come. Right now she's a baby and needs to feel comfortable during the transition, so let her follow you everywhere it is safe for her to go. There's plenty of time later to get her used to being on her own. For now just make her as comfortable as possible. Once she's a little older and a bit more comfortable she'll learn that she doesn't have to be with you always, and in fact making it a point to show her that is a good idea...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Know that everyone responding means well, but here's the thing, your puppy just came home to live with you. It's a HUGE transition, and she's a baby. No need to worry about separation anxiety or creating a Velcro dog at this point. Let her follow you for now, and taper it off in the months to come. Right now she's a baby and needs to feel comfortable during the transition, so let her follow you everywhere it is safe for her to go. There's plenty of time later to get her used to being on her own. For now just make her as comfortable as possible. Once she's a little older and a bit more comfortable she'll learn that she doesn't have to be with you always, and in fact making it a point to show her that is a good idea...
Completely agree with that. I was more refferening to later.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
She’s a baby and they cry. My WL cried all the time at first. He whined a lot and I have an older dog he was with. I put him in the crate, ignored the whining and walked in and out of the room often, leaving for just a few seconds at a time. Of he was quiet, I praised him as I waked by, if he whine, I ignored. By ignore, don’t look or move at all in their direction, no reaction at all. No sounds, no motion toward them. He got over it very quickly. Now, he is quiet. He talks when he needs something. He barks when there is a reason to bark. Otherwise he is quiet.

Your dog will probably be a long coat. Her ears should come up soon. If not by 5 months consider taping. Usually they go up and down for a while. If you have the real pedigree, the birth date is listed.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Haha we did the bell too....it really helped us with potty training! We had to get rid of it though cause she would start randomly ringing it just to go outside lol!
Be careful of bells. If they sound at all like ringtones you can create a terrible problem of responding to the wrong thing. I wish I had never used a bell for anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts